Turbo'd on pane toyota with 404s - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Turbo'd on pane toyota with 404s

I figured it would be nice to get a build thread of my junk to get more feed back from the folks here as well as to see if anything i do is able to help others out as well. Its an 84 yota pickup long bed with a 22rtp. Had dual yota cases but since i'm putting my 404s under the truck, i'm switching to a yota/dana 300 doubler setup. I'm ditching the leaf springs and going 4 link as well.

Here is what she used to look like.

Here is her current state. lol poor girl. but she is getting some nice upgraded love.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
I haven't really make much exciting progress. But she now has a clutch that will handle the power of the turbo'd motor.

I also finally got to weld the cage behind the cab since i was too excited during the original build and fully burnt the cage to the frame.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2015, 06:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Tinkered with the truck a bit more. I mocked up the cage for the ID tube clamps and tack welded them into place.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Marion Cobretti

Member # 40131
Sounds like it'll be a cool build....I'll stick around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Thanks. My current debate is what sort of link suspension i'll go with. The toughest part is getting the truck to sit as low as i want it too. But until i get the truck in the air and axles under her....i won't know for sure what my best options are.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Mocked up the transfer cases this weekend so that i could redrill the adapter for the angle i want the dana 300 to sit at.

I also went ahead and picked up these cute little guys.

I wanted to also see how full i can get my garage...so i stuffed more junk in here. lol

Old 08-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 349674
Nice rig. How do you like that 22R Turbo'd on propane? I have a good buddy running that same setup. He had some high EGT issues at first. Any issues with that? Kept your A/F dialed in?
Old 08-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bt40 View Post
Nice rig. How do you like that 22R Turbo'd on propane? I have a good buddy running that same setup. He had some high EGT issues at first. Any issues with that? Kept your A/F dialed in?
Man i love the 22r turbo'd! The power gain that i got was crazy!!! As far as the EGTs go...i have no clue what mine are. I know propane burns a bit hotter but i don't have a pyro gauge yet. I do keep my a/f in check though and i have worked with Carrie at Got propane to make sure that i'm in the right range since i got the propane kit from him.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 349674
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwflyoda View Post
Man i love the 22r turbo'd! The power gain that i got was crazy!!! As far as the EGTs go...i have no clue what mine are. I know propane burns a bit hotter but i don't have a pyro gauge yet. I do keep my a/f in check though and i have worked with Carrie at Got propane to make sure that i'm in the right range since i got the propane kit from him.
Heck yeah, glad it's working for you. Really a cool setup. You have a heat exchanger for the charged air? Or running some water injection?
Old 08-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bt40 View Post
Heck yeah, glad it's working for you. Really a cool setup. You have a heat exchanger for the charged air? Or running some water injection?
No sir...nothing of the sort. lol just keeping it simple. i will be getting a pyro gauge soon so then i'll know what the actual numbers are.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 30839
Nice! Using the exo and ditching the body will net you huge results. I used my internal cage and ditched the sheet metal and dropped huge weight.

Bulletproof propane kits for extreme off road and carbureted engines. Please visit our website for details.

TO ORDER ONLINE:

Check us out on Facebook
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane View Post
Nice! Using the exo and ditching the body will net you huge results. I used my internal cage and ditched the sheet metal and dropped huge weight.
Thanks Carrie! Since i'm a gluten for punishment...i'm actually keeping the body. I just put the cage back on to mock up the ID tube clamps since it'll be easier to weld w/ the body off.

How much does your rig weight now?

Last edited by nwflyoda; 08-04-2015 at 07:33 AM.
nwflyoda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
I redrilled the doubler adapter and mocked up the dana 300. I also made a temp support bar so that i can lift the truck up and start building the cradle.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
So, i put the truck on stilts tonight. This is roughly ride height. ugh its tall.

Then decided to mock the axles in place. I only messed with the front since thats the axle that will dictate the over height of the truck. The front axle will end up being about 3" higher off the ground. Which means about 19" of ground clearance under the diffs.

This is why i can't go any lower. Right now, there is about 4" of clearance between the oil pan and the upper link tabs. I'm thinking about changing the link mount setup on the front axle to allow me to get her to sit lower. I don't want to stretch the wheelbase much more than what its sitting at with the axle in this current position. Should be close to 120" right now.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
In a effort to get the truck to sit lower and find out the clearance issues ahead of time, I decided to start looking at the suspension in full compression.

This is only about 1/4" of clearance between the upper link mounts and the pan.

The upper links appear that they will still clear the oil pan but the truck is still too tall for my liking and this still isn't enough clearance between the pan and the upper link tabs. I'm thinking about spreading the upper link mounts to the outer portion of the truss as well as use 7/8" heims instead of the 1 1/4" heims that the upper links are currently built for. This should allow me to lower the frame another 3-4".
Old 08-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 145042
Why not just ditch the 4 link and go 3 link. Could lower it several inches no problem
Old 08-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Thats definitely on the table. I've just been trying to keep it triangulated since the axles were already setup that way but i may end up going that route to keep the truck low. The only thing i'm seeing as being an issue with going much lower is the clearance between the oil pan and the pinion. Granted, the caster hasn't been adjusted yet. Thoughts?

Old 08-12-2015, 08:31 AM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Last night, i cut the upper link tabs off and lowered the frame (planning on building new tabs farther apart from one another). I was able to lower the frame just over 4" by doing this. I can't go any lower now without doing something about the motor since the pinion is now about 1/2" away from the oil pan. I even cut part of the factory skid plate on the bottom of the sump to make room. I need to figure out what the caster needs to be at now before i move any further. That could pull the pinion away from the pan more so then i can get even lower. *insert evil grin*

I failed to upload the pictures to my photobucket account so i'll get those later today.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Here are the pics that I missed earlier.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 191846
looking good man!! ill be following this closely!! What size tires will you be running if i missed it?
christophercorpus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2015, 05:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Thank you bud. She'll have 43" SXs.

Last night by setting the caster to the correct angle, i was able to get the truck a little lower. But i can't go any lower unless i move the motor. lol The harmonic balancer is about 1/4" away from the tubing on axle that goes over the steering ram. sooooo, with that being said, i'm gonna move the motor to the passenger side of the truck about 3" which will give me the clearance at the balancer, clearance at the oil pan, provide better drive line angles for both axles and allow me to get the truck lower. This just will mean that i'll have to go 3 link up front which isn't a big deal. if i leave it right now, the belly will be approximately 33" at ride height. I want to get that below 30" but i am keeping in mind that the truck will be sitting on 43" tires as well.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Made some great progress. Granted, it may not look like much but its helped me gain a lot of room. I moved the engine over about 3" to the passenger side as well as back about 1 1/2". This has allowed me to get better drive line angles as well as more room to get the truck to sit lower.

New motor mounts.

The axle before raising it.

And now since i have more room, i was able to raise it about 2".

I've got a couple things to cut off of the axle then I can get it another 1 or so lower. All said and done, i'm hoping to get the truck to a 30" belly height at ride height on the 43s. Granted, thats still a little tall compared to other rigs but it should be pretty close to what i was at before on the 40s.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
I finally got the front axle to the height that i'm happy with. This should give me a 30" belly height when the truck is at ride height.

This is the front axle at full compression. I just need to move the alternator to build the upper link mount.

The front driveline is a lot better now.

The rough front suspension setup in the 3 link calculator.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:12 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 191846
Nice work man! Keep the pics coming!
christophercorpus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2015, 08:54 AM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Thanks bud!

My link brackets should arrive from ruff stuff this week. Once they get here, i'll be able to start building the 3 links. I'll certainly post pictures up of the progress there. The lowers will be sleeved and they will all be 1 1/4 heims.

The track bar is gonna be fun, but it just means that i'll get to cut the front of the frame off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.