Long lost 404 disk brake setup - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Long lost 404 disk brake setup

I bought a set of 2 steering 404 axles from a gentleman, that purchased them from his buddy several years ago. They already had the 8 lug conversion as well as they came with some disk brake brackets. My problem is that I've been trying to figure out what kit these are and then what brake calipers they were designed with.

Oh, the joys of buying a used set of axles from someone that bought them from another person.

I've been looking around here on Pirate as well as good ole google but I've not had any real success.

So, I'm reaching out to y'all here that have been around these more than i. Does anyone recognize these components? If so, does anyone know what model brake caliper these will work with?

The rotors are attached on the back side of what appears to be a one piece machined 8 lug conversion hub via the wheel studs. I hope this picture will be able to help someone based upon the distance the rotor/hub are from the portal box itself.

The axles had one of the brackets already bolted on. This is what it looks like.

And these are the rest of the parts that i received with the axles.

Here is what the wheel hub looks like without the wheel spacers on.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 55444
Weps?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles...kes-ready.html
Old 07-19-2016, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Send a message via MSN to coachgeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidr View Post
With the data breech changes Weps had to re-register as Weps2 You can PM him there. He may have changed back once he was able to get back on the board and shoot off a message to the Admin. so you might consider PMing both Weps2 and Weps just in case.

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 04:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 3309
Looks like the setup from Exact.

Welcome to Exaxt.ca
XTRMTOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2016, 05:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachgeo View Post
With the data breech changes Weps had to re-register as Weps2 You can PM him there. He may have changed back once he was able to get back on the board and shoot off a message to the Admin. so you might consider PMing both Weps2 and Weps just in case.
Thanks for the info. I've sent him an e-mail but i haven't heard anything back from him yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRMTOY View Post
Looks like the setup from Exact.

Welcome to Exaxt.ca
I talked to these Gents and they actually suggested that it may be TaraDon's kit. If that is the case, i'm going to start looking at ways to reach out to him.

Thank you all for the info!

Last edited by nwflyoda; 07-20-2016 at 05:51 AM.
nwflyoda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2016, 06:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
Looks like a standard chevy 3/4 ton rotor (1986 K20 front) and I bet it uses the same calipers.

Dana 70 kits $300 -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . Sterling 10.25 kits $390 -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dana 60 front 3/4 ton kits $295-->
. .
GubNi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 688650
The 'single pot' chevy calipers will not fit/work/clear
The Kit I sold incorporated the box braces AS the caliper mounts, and used a Wilwood 120-814 4 piston unit.
sorry guys, I don't stop here everyday

**Edit** looks like a 'taradon' piece, I THINK he was using a F350 caliper of some type, but man, that's been a long time ago

Last edited by weps2; 07-22-2016 at 09:57 AM.
weps2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2016, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Thank you for the info. You're the second person to say that they may be from Taradon.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 688650
Have you found anything in the archives? I suggest 2004-08 was when Don (taradon) was here posting, and was building axles.
He was a decent guy, you will not find posts with lots of 'drama', pretty much just the info you are looking for.
The top of that mount (will) bolt to a round piece that goes thru the large hole on the portal box. Not a bad setup, I did something similar, but didnt like all of the spacers, and the 'pivoting' action of the caliper due to the spacers and tiny link arm from the top hole.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
No, i haven't found much in the archives that actually have pictures. Although, the one picture that i did see, it makes me think that this isn't his 8 lug conversion since the rotor sits alot closer to the portal box than with his kit.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 688650
What you really have is what i would call a "wheel adapter" as it uses the stock 6 on 205mm 'mog pattern, then uses a 8 on 6.5.

The setup that I used to make had the rotor BEHIND the WMS, and that set the rotor really close to the box itself. (trying for as narrow rig as possible)
with all the room you have, a single pot chevy caliper might fit.pick one up at autozone, see how it works, return, clean in the box if "no go"
Old 07-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Quote:
Originally Posted by weps2 View Post
What you really have is what i would call a "wheel adapter" as it uses the stock 6 on 205mm 'mog pattern, then uses a 8 on 6.5.

The setup that I used to make had the rotor BEHIND the WMS, and that set the rotor really close to the box itself. (trying for as narrow rig as possible)
with all the room you have, a single pot chevy caliper might fit.pick one up at autozone, see how it works, return, clean in the box if "no go"
Its certainly been converted to 8 lug. I just put the 8 lug wheel spacers to get the tire away from the BTF high steer arms. The rotor surface is only 1/4" away from the portal box at the top.

I spent a couple hours at the local parts house yesterday and finally figured out what the deal is with the disk brake brackets. The kit was designed to use corvette calipers. It uses the slotted spacer as the upper mount in the round hole that used to be the pivot for the factory drum brakes. Then, it uses the long spacer to go between the 1/2" plate bracket to a corvette caliper.

Thank you everyone for all of the feedback and assistance in trying to figure out who's kit these are. While i still don't know that answer, i at least have the answer of the secondary riddle on what caliper to run.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
I like .XLS

Member # 9393
Quote:
Originally Posted by weps2 View Post
The 'single pot' chevy calipers will not fit/work/clear
The Kit I sold incorporated the box braces AS the caliper mounts, and used a Wilwood 120-814 4 piston unit.
sorry guys, I don't stop here everyday

**Edit** looks like a 'taradon' piece, I THINK he was using a F350 caliper of some type, but man, that's been a long time ago

I have quite a few photos of the eXaXt brake conversion in my Mog-9 Build Thread in this section... none of the parts I see here look like stuff from eXaXt.

They use Ford calipers and rotors (I'm pretty sure I included the part numbers in my updates)... the rotors don't have any holes in the hat area like I see here. Also, the spacer in the eXaXt kit is a 1" thick steel piece, and it looks like the spacer here is at least 1.25"...and aluminum.

The small triangular bracket looks similar to eXaXt, but none of the mounting hardware looks right.... so I'm guessing that there are only so many ways to make the bracket and have it clear the portal box housing.

-G

Greg72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Thank you for confirming that as well. Exaxt were one of the companies that though the kit was from TaraDon. Sadly, from what I've been able to find out, it appears that he is no longer in business.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 7228
Your kit appears to be a Tibus Off-road kit.
It will use Corvette 4 piston calipers. I believe early 90s.
The spacer with the slot in goes in the hole on the portal and the other one goes on the 3 holed bracket. Then you use metric bolts through those spacers into the caliper.
Dana 60, 14 bolt, Hydraulic Assist
4 inch 52s, 3 inch 64s with 4" shackle flip
20x12 Forged Centerlines on 41x14.50 Irok radials
Blazr77400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 7228
If you give me your email I will send you a few pics of it on my old truck.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misce...onversion.html
Dana 60, 14 bolt, Hydraulic Assist
4 inch 52s, 3 inch 64s with 4" shackle flip
20x12 Forged Centerlines on 41x14.50 Irok radials
Blazr77400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 99136
Thank you for the info!! That does help and i was able to find the brake calipers that i need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.