newbie - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 02:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 78857

Hi I just bought a 1974 406 and am looking for some info. This 406 has front and back hyd,ptos,and air. it also has a schmit snow blower assembly. I have figured out the transmissions and have driven it around quite a bit but am unsure about the 4 wheel drive and how it works. is it full time or I am missing a shifter or switch. also there is one lever in the shifting area that is hooked to a air switch by the looks of it I am wondering if it is part of the pto system that works like a clutch when the pto is engaged. The mog has a 6 speed transmission and 4 speed auxillary trans 2 speed reverse. Anybody know where I can find a english service manual. It sure is a fun rig. I drove it home 4 hour trip and it was fun to watch peoples exspression when they hear me rumble by. Thanks
urchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
No (|) No (.)(.)

Member # 11132
They have good info, may be some one can help you to get an english manuel.

http://www.rockymountainmoggers.com/

Otherwise here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Unimog-406-416-4...QQcmdZViewItem
----------4---------------4------|
---------------------------------|
--2---2-2---2---2-2---2-2---2---2|
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands
Valhalla, I'm coming

Last edited by XJUSA; 09-06-2006 at 04:36 AM.
XJUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2006, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 10313
Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin
I have figured out the transmissions and have driven it around quite a bit but am unsure about the 4 wheel drive and how it works. is it full time or I am missing a shifter or switch.
There are two systems used, depending on the age of the truck. At the back left of the shifter plate, you will have either a lever or a rotary air switch. It has 3 positions - "off", 4WD, diff lock. My truck has the rotary knob - full counterclockwise if off, first clockwise detent is 4WD, full clockwise is diff lock. I think the lever pulls up, with 2 detents (no, it rotates - edit)

When the selector is "off", the truck is in normal open-diff 2WD. In 4WD, you're in -surprise- 4WD . In diff lock, you're fully locked and loaded, both ends (think of it as having a pair of ARB's). When you lock up, there should be a green light on the dash that illuminates. You can engage either 4WD or diff lock at any time, in any gear. Just be sure you don't have a lot of wheel slip when you engage. That kind of acton is a little hard on the components.

As with most fully locked beasts, it's sort of hard to steer when locked, although the huge power steering system in the truck compensates somewhat.

Last edited by Discosaurus; 09-08-2006 at 09:24 AM.
Discosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 10313
Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin
The mog has a 6 speed transmission and 4 speed auxillary trans 2 speed reverse.
I think you mean it has the cascade transmission. Does it have a lever in the upper right of the shift plate that pulls back in a sort of laid down S pattern and a red knob cascade (range splitter) lever right behind the main gear lever ?
Old 09-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 78857
Thanks for the reply,s . No dash light or switch. At the back and to the side of the driver seat there is a lever that operates an air switch. its in a laid down position. That might be it. I do have 2 small owners manuals but My german is not great/non existing and also it does not show the lever I am talking about. Probably best to put it up on jack stands and go from there.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 10313
Here's the shifter plate diagram. Again, note the 4WD "lever" in this pic is a rotary. Yeah - that laid down lever is your 4WD/locker lever - it probably has 2 detents
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 63836
Urchin: Disco gave you the diagram. If your shifters look like the picture, its the rotating lever down in the lower left of the picture. One detent clockwise is 4wd, two detents clockwise is differential locked (F&R).

A lot of 406's have a lever on the left of teh drivers seat by the door. This is usually a rear HYD control, not a drivetrain control.
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 78857
Thanks alot I looked a little closer today and it was the lever I thought controled the pto,s.