I'm movin in - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2002, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 5378
I'm movin in

How many of you guys are there in here?

I'm moving in for a couple of weeks. Too many dumfuk newbies in my beloved forum.

So what's up? How many of you are U.S.? What on Earth got you guys into these Euro rigs? The more I read, the more I like! Thing is, I have never really been exposed to Mogs, Pinz's, etc...

So, how did you get into these?

--JoshC
Old 06-22-2002, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Re: I'm movin in

Quote:
Originally posted by JoshC
Too many dumfuk newbies in my beloved forum.

--JoshC
Why give up? Fight back!

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2002, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Send a message via MSN to coachgeo

Quote:

I'm moving in for a couple of weeks. Too many dumfuk newbies in my beloved forum.

So what's up? How many of you are U.S.? What on Earth got you guys into these Euro rigs? The more I read, the more I like! Thing is, I have never really been exposed to Mogs, Pinz's, etc...

--JoshC
I allways wanted something like an expedition rig... and just decided that now was the time to start.. Im in US... I go get my mog on Sunday the 30 June

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 09:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5378
Re: Re: I'm movin in

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Scout

Why give up? Fight back!
I'm building up my power levels right now!
Old 06-23-2002, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 5378

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgeo

I allways wanted something like an expedition rig... and just decided that now was the time to start.. Im in US... I go get my mog on Sunday the 30 June
Congratulations Coach. So what will you do with an expadition rig in the U.S.?
Old 06-23-2002, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Re: Re: Re: I'm movin in

Quote:

Congratulations Coach. So what will you do with an expadition rig in the U.S.?
To get from flat/mud land OH to anyplace with real rocks is a couple days or more expedition. Then there is trips to Moab, AZ, CA, South America, Canada, etc.

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]
Old 06-23-2002, 10:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3178
Im Here Josh, whoring knowledge about my future purchase some day. Mogs are too cool not to have one.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 11729
Send a message via AIM to unissamog

Quote:

I dunno, but I am here
Quote:
sorry to hear that (oh wait, I'm a newbie)
Quote:
So what's up? How many of you are U.S.?
I'm in Vermont
Quote:
What on Earth got you guys into these Euro rigs? The more I read, the more I like! Thing is, I have never really been exposed to Mogs, Pinz's, etc...

--JoshC
Well shortly after getting on the 'net 8 years ago, I found out about Unimogs, and after doing a small amount of reading, I was hooked. So when the opportunity came up fo me to build a hybrid using a 'mog, I jumped.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5378

Quote:
Originally posted by unissamog
So when the opportunity came up fo me to build a hybrid using a 'mog, I jumped.
Great to meet you Unissamog. I just checked out your site. The hybrid looks great. Do you guys have pureist's (sp?) that give you shite when you "ruin" a Mog like that? Seems to me, that little Nissan body won't get you hung up on anything, compaired to the bread-box body of a Mog.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 5378
Quote:
Originally posted by The Fleckster
Im Here Josh, whoring knowledge about my future purchase some day. Mogs are too cool not to have one.
hehehe

My problem is, I'd buy a mog for the axles and end up having so much fun driving it, I'd have another freakin rig parked in front of my house...

My landi, wife's volvo, wife's Travelall, my Scout II. My suburbia neighbors already love me. I can only picture the looks on their faces when they pulled around the corner to see a big green bread-box!
Old 06-24-2002, 08:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
unimogken

Member # 11745
Well JoshC where should I start?

<So what's up?>
Well not much. I just got home from work and cracked open a ber to read some POR boards.

<How many of you are U.S.?>
I am in the U.S. Redmond, WA to be exact.

<What on Earth got you guys into these Euro rigs?>
I saw some pics from a friend that went on vacation to Germany. In the background I noticed a Unimog.

<The more I read, the more I like! Thing is, I have never really been exposed to Mogs, Pinz's, etc...>
Let me know about where you are and I can contact someone in that area that'd be willing to show you a truck or two.

<So, how did you get into these?>
I built up a Nissan Pathfinder with a 7" of lift and 33 inch tires then realized I couldn't do much more with it. I beat the crap out of that truck and it kept on going. I then did the research on Unimogs and found out that they were available and the price wasn't that bad. You could buy a Unimog and have awesome ground clearance and have front and rear difflocks for less money than a rear difflock costs for the Pathfinder. So I said screw the Pathfinder.....no more money will be sunk into it. I researched Unimogs then finally bought a 1961 Hardcab Firetruck about 2 years ago. About a year later I found a rancher in Texas selling 7 Unimogs. I contacted him and talked about the trucks. He was going to have a scrapyard come get them if didn't make a move. So, I told him that i'd buy a couple but he said all 7 or nothing. So, I ended up buying all 7!!!

These things are addicting. Obsessive compulsive!!

Later.

Ken S.
7 Assorted Unimogs
Old 06-24-2002, 09:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 5378
Ken,

<So what's up?>
Well not much. I just got home from work and cracked open a ber to read some POR boards.
Have one on me!

<The more I read, the more I like! Thing is, I have never really been exposed to Mogs, Pinz's, etc...>
Let me know about where you are and I can contact someone in that area that'd be willing to show you a truck or two.
I'm in CA. Just outside of the SF Bay Area. Do you ever get down here? Rubicon? Eventually, I'll get up to WA to wheel with some of the guys here on the PBB and I'll look you up. Do you know fcfred in Oregon? He wheel's some strange vehicles

<So, how did you get into these?>
So, I ended up buying all 7!!!
I love hearing stories like that. I am waiting for my opportunity!

--JoshC
Old 06-24-2002, 10:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 11729

Quote:

Great to meet you Unissamog. I just checked out your site. The hybrid looks great. Do you guys have pureist's (sp?) that give you shite when you "ruin" a Mog like that?

Yes and no. There are lots of purists who don't like the idea of non-moggers coming in am scooping up all the axles, but since I am using the major part of the driveline, most are ok with it.

On of my friends up here had a great statement. When I bought my mog, it was just a rolling chassis. Axles, wheels, suspension, tranny, and frame.

He said, "most likely your rig would have been parted out, and it is like giving a prostitute a face lift, she may look different, but she's still good at what she does!"

Quote:

Seems to me, that little Nissan body won't get you hung up on anything, compaired to the bread-box body of a Mog.
Ya, I will have a bit more clearance compared to a radio box, or full troop carrier.

Last edited by unissamog; 06-24-2002 at 10:51 AM.
unissamog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 07:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 2708

Quote:

<SNIP> Do you guys have pureist's (sp?) that give you shite when you "ruin" a Mog like that? <SNIIP>
OHHHH man do we ever, on one Mog mail list I was treated like shit that walks cause I was asking questions about modifying a Mog... Granted I was not listening to thier purest crap and kept asking questions. Felt like I was having to use a crow bar to pry out info. No.... more like I was using a MOG's big Fawking Winch hooked to their brains to pull it out of them. Eventually I canceled my participation on the list as Coach cause of the shit they gave mee off board.. and on board too.... I will also have to admit though.. that I made some friends there who appreciated my endevers and have become Mog buddies. unfortunately the azzz hole count out weighed the number new friends.

Being long time POR member, and Jeepr I was floored at the attitudes about modifying things, and the shit they dealt me was extremely way out of line. POR members can sling some hard stuff at ya for asking non-hardcore Jeeps Unlimited type questions.. so Ive learned to have some thick skin... but.. man... the mail list people got personal... so much so I almost abandoned my Mog quest. Instead.. I helped get this forum started here. Not regretting it an ounce. Got my bill of sale today for my mog.. and I pick it up sunday.

Since then I have met someone else who bought a MOG then went on the mail list Im speaking off to ask questions. He was so turned off by them that he is now selling his MOG. They pissed him off that bad. He had the class to appropriately state the reason he is selling it to the mail list. Ive had several personal emails stating they were upset buy the purest on that particular list too.

SORV and here willl be the supporters of those that are not as purest at heart. Or should I say they are pure to serious offroading.. where a Mog is just on of their tools.

Last edited by coachgeo; 06-24-2002 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 10290
coach geo, I do recall seeing your name a few times on a particular mog mailing list, but admittedly did'nt read hardly any of the messages, just looking for parts. it worked, I did manage to buy a set of axles and wheels for what I think was a good price. Then I unsubscribed. I also have a '67 M 715 that is highly modified (they kinda suck stock) and I had people blowing me shit about modifying it, how it should be restored etc.Like you said about the thick skin, on the 'net, read what you want, ignore the rest.Good luck to your on your new purchase, I'm guessing you had one imported?
weps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 05:05 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 11729
I still sumscribe to and read the list you speak of daily. I use it for the information there, and occasionally (ok. rarely) post a question. some of them know what I am doing. I have the support of Chris McPhee (who I bought the mog from), Chris Elliot (who is in my club) and Don McDermod (who made the prostitute comment, and is also is in my club) so their word says a lot on the list, so I have a small amount of credibility, and don't get flamed too much.
Old 06-27-2002, 05:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 7412
well i have a mog [404]that i will get off a buddie of mine in the next 6 months. i have a bunch of duece and a halfs i have to sell to get caught back up on my play money. i found a set of 404 axles the other day for 1k and i am going to jump on that, it just seems to good to pass up. might just put them under the cruiser to keep from tearing up toy axles. plus i need the lower gearing. so here i am picking brains and reading everthing i can find on mogs. mike
Old 06-27-2002, 06:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 3815
I know I'm jumping in on this one kinda late, but here I am!

In a nutshell, my 'Mog ownership only consists of axles. They're going under my '79 CJ-7 thing, so I'm just soaking up the knowledge of the real 'Mog afficianados here. I reside in Louisiana.

I've been lurking on the International board. My wife and I just bought a '76 Scout II for her to wheel. It's all there, just not assembled. I'm gonna dive into that one as soon as my Heep is finished.
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 05:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
No comment

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
fleckster.

me too someday i will own a radio box mog. almost bought one about a year ago but it turned out to need a new motor and i was not up for the hassle.
camo is offline   Reply With Quote