4/4 Tranny with Crawler Gears - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2002, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 12488
4/4 Tranny with Crawler Gears

The 4/4 transmission is of benefit for gear splitting in the hills. When a small gear change brings the engine back into it's best power band.

It is not really an option to change the gears in a 404 transmission. However, the auxiliary crawler gears can still be installed on the 4/4 transmission, giving you two additional ultra low gears.

Unfortunately, the best gearing upgrade on the top end is larger tires. Although when I test drove your truck in Europe in December I believe it already had 12.5x20 tires.

Cheers,

Scott
singham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Send a message via MSN to coachgeo
Re: 4/4 Tranny with Crawler Gears

Quote:
Originally posted by singham
The 4/4 transmission is of benefit for gear splitting in the hills. When a small gear change brings the engine back into it's best power band.

It is not really an option to change the gears in a 404 transmission. However, the auxiliary crawler gears can still be installed on the 4/4 transmission, giving you two additional ultra low gears.

Unfortunately, the best gearing upgrade on the top end is larger tires. Although when I test drove your truck in Europe in December I believe it already had 12.5x20 tires.

Cheers,

Scott
Yes.. it has the larger tires. What did u think of it on the test drive? I hit the road via bus and train to go retrive it and drive it home wiht in minutes.. as in Taxi will pull up soon to my door.

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2002, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Re: 4/4 Tranny with Crawler Gears

Quote:
Originally posted by singham
<SNIP> However, the auxiliary crawler gears can still be installed on the 4/4 transmission, giving you two additional ultra low gears.

Cheers,

Scott
Would the crawler gears replace some of the other gears or add into the box somewhere... LIke would I have a 10 speed tranny? YIKES...

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]
Old 06-30-2002, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 12488
The crawler gearset mounts into the bottom of the 404 tranny. A gearshft tower comes up through the bell housing and a shifter comes through the boot just to the right of your forward/reverse shifter.

The truck wasn't one that I was interested in selling, but with some work will be a nice rig. It definitely needs sound deadening, and serious rust repair. Mechanically it seemed to function properly. And boy is it bright!

Good luck with getting it home.

Cheers,

Scott
singham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 05:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Scott Ingram, How do u shift it?

I did not make it home... it no longer will go in gear... it acted like the clutch went out. Bob tall says he will fix for 2 grand.. its at his place.. I dont have much choice now do I.

anyway... the tranny seemed to operate like two diffent four speeds. one that is lower range... one that is higher range.. and u cant move from one range to the other during travel. Is this correct? I tried this.... I shifted from what Im calling high range below to neutral.. and from that point forward the tranny stoped shifting into anything with the engine on.

Down shifting using both ranges to go up hills would be a nice option to go (using gear descriptions as writen below) say H4 to H3 to L4 to H2. etc .. granted that would prob. be the hill from hell if this was the case.

I do understand that each of the ranges I described above shares some gears... ...
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2002, 05:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2708
So what broke? Scott, others?

oh.. and what do u think may have happend by my moving the H and L lever to Neutral while moving... a clutch finger when out? it shifts fine if either the fwd rev lever, or High low lever is in Neutral. Put some engine torque behind it.. (put one of above into play instead of neurtal) and it wont shift gears with out bang sticking..