Unimog 404 Questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 116348
Unimog 404 Questions

I was originally planning to fit unimog 404 axels to a land rover defender 110 but I’ve now decided to go the ‘whole hog’ and buy a complete unimog 404.

I just have a few questions about 404’s; I am slightly confused about a few things.
I am planning to have a double cab so I can hold equipment and more than 2 people inside the truck. I know doka/double cabs 404’s are very rear so I think I am likely to end up with a single cab soft top. Because of this I am now thinking about building my own double cab soft top from a single cab. Overall it shouldn’t be too hard to make the actual body as all I will need to do is extended the body work back and build or find a pair of 404 doors. After this I am then hoping to get someone to build a full roll cage which will go around the complete double cab body (So I end up with something like this)

The only problem I currently see is mounting the extended body on to the chassis, due to it flexing. I know that it can be done as many unimogs have been made into double cabs. I just don’t have a clue how to go round it. So if anyone can help me out I would be extremely grateful. Also if anyone has any build pictures of a single cab being made into a doka can you please send them to me? I am currently not worried about fitting the cage, partly because the company that I get it done by should know what there doing but also because I think the doka body is more important at this stage.
If you have any build pictures please send them to me. My email address is: tonharyett@msn.com

Another issue I think I might have is power steering. As I am hoping to use the car on the road I can’t go full hydro so I am restricted to hydro assist or a powerful power steering unit. I just wondered if anyone knew the best way of fitting power steering to a 404. I’ve heard that a 411 hydro pump and ram would work and they almost bolt on but they seem to be extremely rare so I don’t know how likely it will be for me to find one.

It would be great if anyone could answer my questions.
Thanks
Tom

Last edited by Tom.H; 09-02-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Tom.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 48860
I'm doing a Doka cab extension myself. The structure of the body is as simple as it gets, rectangular tubing at the rockers, and light gauge angle for floor supports. If you go to mogtech.com and search in the tech section, there are some detailed pictures of a Doka, and some good photos of homemade dokas. You can get doors and body panels from expedition imports.

As far as the roll cage goes, the doka body is not strong enough to handle a roll over with a cage without some serious upgrades to the subframe. I'm going to be building a sturdy subframe of my own design inspired by the cargo bed subframe. If you don't go this route, and tie into the rockers, you stand to destroy the body in a good roll.

On the topic of power steering, you can go a couple of routes. Ram assist is an option, but you need to install a control valve. Your options are to splice one into the steering column, or the drag link. I debated going out the end of the steering box, but there isn't enough room. Either way will require quite a bit of fabrication, plus mounting the ram, plumbing hoses etc. The mogshop has a bolt-on system like this for sale for $2500. Otherwise, you can get a 406/416 sttering box/pump and mount that. There's still some fabrication to mount the box, pump, and shims for different size tie rod ends, but it's easier than going assist. I'm using a garrison control valve in the drag link, but I'm not looking to go the easy method. I've driven this set up, and it worked flawlessly.

Pirate is a great resource for information about putting mog axles under some other trail rig, or for some entertaining mog posts, but in general if you want information regarding unimogs specifically, check out the following sites, and check their archives.

mogmgsexch.com
mogtech.com

Parts (theres way more out there with some searching)
expeditionimports.zoovy.com (cold war overstock parts for 404's)
unimog.net/exchange (there's a 406 power steering set up for sale now)
mogshop.com
scarkssj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 88663
Well that was a pretty thorough post to cover your question. I agree with everything he said, but I would lean towards the 416/406 power steering. I have a 416 and a 404 custom stretched 404 and I went with full hydro, but I don't drive the 404 on the road. The 416 weighs so much more than the 404 and it turns the 416 with no problems that even with bigger aired down tires the 416 power steering will handle the 404 easily.

Here is the link to my 404 custom stretch. Remember my job took over 120' of tubing to build the roll cage and a lot of sheet metal because the mog is so big. I will also tell you that I tied my roll cage to the frame, against popular demand, and my mog flexes insane. It also hasn't had frame problems like many will claim. I'm over a year into it but I think it's good for the long hall, we will see. Check out this link: http://web.mac.com/dansflb/iWeb/DanD...%20Photos.html

You might want to consider saving up a little bit and buying a 416 doka. It will have the power steering, onboard air, hydraulic breaks, 4 seater, and a diesel, designed to run on 40" tires. You can pick one up for between $16,000-$25,000. If you get one on the lower end you can just spend a couple bucks reconditioning the body overtime. I have at least that into my 404 and I wish I would have just went with a 416 Doka right from the start. It's something to think about, I have both and I love them both off road for different reasons, but if I just had one it would be like Doc's.

If you live anywhere near Sacramento I can take you out for a spin in both and you can see what you like the most.

Good luck, you will love the mog world!

Last edited by goodtimes3; 09-06-2008 at 02:59 AM.
goodtimes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 74765
Here mine stretched from original. Not done with the cage yet but you get the idea. I am finishing up the full hydro right now. I figure with the speed this mog can do, I'll be fine with full hydro on the street.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2008, 11:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 88663
The Mog is looking good, finish it up so we can go wheeling!
Dan
goodtimes3 is offline   Reply With Quote