Mog front axle mounting - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2002, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10290
Mog front axle mounting

For those of you who are building buggies, what kind of FRONT 3 or 4 link mounts/mounting are you using? In order to clear the drag link has anyone used a "wristed arm" type setup? Anyone used part of the stock Mog mounts? Any pics?
weps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2708
Send a message via MSN to coachgeo
SORV

try talking to SORV and see what they have to suggest.

http://www.sorv.com/contact.html

[i]"I work on a fishing boat. I started as a Apprentice Baiter. Now I am a Journeyman baiter. One day I hope to make Master Baiter". (By DEnd)[/i]
coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2002, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11729
Send a message via AIM to unissamog
if you read through the exaxt site you will see that they have a kit to move the drag link to the front. this is most likely the best option.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 10633
Send a message via AIM to smoothcharlene
Dug this up

Well I'm gettin ready to start swapping my mog axles (actually bought the rear from you weps), and wanted to know what you came up w/ for a front suspension? Also wanted to hear anyone's ideas on doing a wristed radius arm setup for the front axle. I am swapping this into a fullsize bronco, and I think the wristed arm setup would be killer, and not too complex.

Someone let me know what you think.

59willys pu...work in progress
smoothcharlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 7962
Heres a pic of my buildup ATM. Its a 4 link plus panhard. The lowers are just above the drag link which means that the uppers are very high (8.5in above the lowers) and on the inside of the chassis very close to the motor gearbox etc. It is sitting on the bumpstops in this pic.

Not a real good pic but you can just see the upper and lower links.

Sam
Attached Images

"An expert is somebody who learns more and more about less and less until one day they know absolutely everything about nothing."

Outerlimits4x4.com - home of aussie rock crawling.
Strange Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 10290
Hi Smoothcharlene- (and others) well......I originally planned for a conventional \ / \ / type 4 link with the 2 center links going to the top of the front diff. I placed the engine (350 chev) so that I appear to have clearance and all, and was happy with that. Then I got the 350-203-205 trans/Tcases assembled, and pretty much mounted, and was happy with that. Great, I think UNTIL I tried to put a mock-up front driveshaft in
So...... now I am rethinking it all and really considering a wristed arm type setup. I have a buddy's TJ in the shop now, and as simple as those things have the front mounted, and how well they do (IMO) a wristed setup would be 1/2 way in between both styles, simple and effective....

BTW- did you end up with a "bonus" log chain?

WEPS
Old 03-07-2003, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 10633
Send a message via AIM to smoothcharlene
Quote:
Originally posted by weps

BTW- did you end up with a "bonus" log chain?

WEPS
LOL yeah, I did. didn't even realize it until it came time to hoist the axle out of the back of the truck.......was like, damn that sux. Once I get my rig up and running, maybe we'll run into each other on a trail and I can give it back.

59willys pu...work in progress
smoothcharlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4961
Send a message via Yahoo to cruiserrg
Quote:
Originally posted by weps
Hi Smoothcharlene- (and others) well......I originally planned for a conventional \ / \ / type 4 link with the 2 center links going to the top of the front diff. I placed the engine (350 chev) so that I appear to have clearance and all, and was happy with that. Then I got the 350-203-205 trans/Tcases assembled, and pretty much mounted, and was happy with that. Great, I think UNTIL I tried to put a mock-up front driveshaft in
WEPS
I know the the front drive shaft is going to be tight on mine. I decided that I will need to run a two piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing near the front lower link mounting point a the frame. This will give me more clearance under the rig, and allow for much less driveshaft movement during axle movement.

You may want to take a look at it and see if something like that would work. Here is a pic of a two piece shaft that gave me the idea:
Attached Images

Midwest 4 Wheel Drive Association Webmaster: [url="http://www.mw4wda.org"]www.mw4wda.org[/url]
cruiserrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 10290
Cool

Cool! I was also wondering about a two piece front shaft, but thought that it may be too "Butch"
Guess not. I am parting out a 3/4 ton chevy crew cab (2wd) that already has a 2 piece shaft, I'll look into possibly using that. Thanks!

WEPS