Mog disk brake hub design - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2002, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13214
Mog disk brake hub design

I am working on some designs for a disk brake swap on a 9 inch/mog axle.

I am considering using FORD unit bearing style rotors. The advantage to this that I see is that you can provide some protection for the seal like the factory mog has by machining a shield onto the hub that will surround the seal. The rotor will sit on the end of the hub. With a standard GM style rotor, it has to mount on the back of the hub and won't clear the shield that you incorporate.

I have one prototype done without the seal protection and a new one almost complete with it.

Upon further pondering of the idea, I am wondering if this will just trap mud and crap in it.

I realize that the factory mog one is a slightly different setup with a brake drum enclosing the entire assembly, but have mog owners pulled their brakes apart and found this shield full of mud and crap?

Any opinions?
Old 09-28-2002, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 10045
Nice brake set up. But in my opinion it doesn´t make sense to build a disc brake conversion and stay with the stock Unimog bolt pattern instead of a change to 8 lug. For the 8lug you can get real cheap the Hummer wheels with double bead loc and run flat device. Also a big variety of tires. I think it must be possible to get a Hummer rim with bead loc for less than 100$.
Also i do not like is that everything is bolted together instead of using only one solid adapter (hub). Too many bolts who can come loose.
A protection ring for the seal is easy to ad on our hub, but i think there is no need for.

www.killeraxles.com
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2002, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 13214
Daniel:

I bought my rear portal outers from Don. He sure is busy.
Him and Rich were putting together the front mog axle for your TJ 6x6 when I picked up my housing ends a week or so ago.

Wolfgang:

Have you had any seal failures with your hub design due to mud and crap getting into the seal?

I realize that it is a double lip seal, but it can only keep out so much crap.

It just seems a lot more exposed without the drum over it and I figure any bit of protection would help.
Old 09-28-2002, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 10045
Siebert
I never had a seal failure on my axles, and we have a lot of mud and water here.
Unimog also changed the seal design on the cast axle. The old ones had seal protection, the newer doesn´t have one.

BTW the drum only helps to keep the mud and the heat in!

If someone is interested, i take a sample of my hub and brake conversion to the supercrawl in Farmington!!

www.killeraxles.com
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 13214
Thanks for the replies.

One more question.

With all of the different posts on the backspacing of hummer rims, it is a little confusing. I have read different dimensions ranging from 7 to 8.75 inches.

What is the true backspacing of these? I have to allow enough room in the design of the hub to clear the back portal plate. With the current design, I will have about 7.75 inches from the mounting face of the rotor to the portal plate and without a rim to test fit, I am only going by dimensions that I have read. It will be a while before I buy a set, so any help here is appreciated.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3815
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgang
Nice brake set up. But in my opinion it doesn´t make sense to build a disc brake conversion and stay with the stock Unimog bolt pattern instead of a change to 8 lug. For the 8lug you can get real cheap the Hummer wheels with double bead loc and run flat device. Also a big variety of tires. I think it must be possible to get a Hummer rim with bead loc for less than 100$.

www.killeraxles.com
Those would be my axles. I chose to stick with the 'Mog 6 lug pattern because I can get my new centers welded into my hummer wheels cheaper than I could get an 8 lug conversion.
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4303
discs

WolfGang,
I haved sinced designed a 8 lug brake conversion with new hubs that I make.

Don
taradon@uniserve.com
Old 10-06-2002, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 13683
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel
THis should answer your question 7.25" backspacing
If you have more questions go here

Dont you mean 6.75" that is what that tape is measuring too.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 6816
hey don! can you post a pic of your 8lug hub conversion.
also, any news on locking hubs for the mog 404's?
thanks
Old 10-08-2002, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
unimogken

Member # 11745
I wish my Mogs had locking hubs..... oh wait they came stock from 1962 with front/rear diff locks.

Hehehe

Later.

Ken S.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 13214
Quote:
Dont you mean 6.75" that is what that tape is measuring too.
That had me a little puzzled too. I took it to be 7 inches by figuring half way between the front and back bead seeing as it is on a slight angle. Either way is good news for me. I left about 7.75 inches to the portal backing plate.

Quote:
hey don! can you post a pic of your 8lug hub conversion.
also, any news on locking hubs for the mog 404's?
thanks
Don may be secretly working on something, but I have been staring at the parts trying to figure out a way to adapt a locking hub to this, but I just don't see it. I have been thinking about how you would adapt a spindle or a unit bearing hub assembly to the the portal gearcase and don't think that it is possible or nearly as strong as what is there now. If you wanted to use a more common locking hub, you would have to reduce the shaft size dramatically for even a 35 spline hub.

Nobody wants to hear it, but I think a better way would be to create a disconnecting axle up on the axle tube to create a method of unlocking it, or just live without like I am going to do.

If anyone figures out a good way to do this, I would love to see some pics.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 4303
I don't have any locking hubs in the works, 99% of customers wouldn't even bother with them if I made them. It does seem that using an axle disconnect is a viable option and there is lots of room inside the housing to make one.

Chris if you need a hummer rim let me know I have one you can borrow.

Don

Last edited by taradon; 10-10-2002 at 05:10 PM.
taradon is offline   Reply With Quote