My V8 Doka Unimog - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #226 (permalink)
Guerrilla Machinist

Member # 193488
One of the coolest builds I've seen , your skills are crazy impressive . The rig sounds great too, love the videos .

04' RAM quad 1500~daily driver
94' RAM 2500~Snow Zombie Plow Rig Project
GUNSLINGER 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #227 (permalink)

Member # 142131
this is just....inspirational....absolutely stunning build!!! MAD SKILLS!!! 2 things please sir:
more information on the disc brake conversion
and what suspension set up you running?
Land Mawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #228 (permalink)

Member # 87091
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyLid View Post
Nice!

The radiator I've been using is a three core unit out of a Ford Granada. It is the same size as a lot of aftermarket fox body Mustang ones. To use it I had to do away with the stock hood latches. That's why I have been running hood pins. Also I had to notch the top of the passenger frame rail for clearance. With the previous motor I had just a fan on the back of it and it worked fine but with the current set up I had to switch to a shorauded fan so I'm using one of the 3500 cfm flex-a-lite fan along with a 180 thermostat, a 16lbs cap and a fan controller that starts at 170 off at 160. It actually cycles on and off now. Also with the last build I cut the inner fender out of the passenger wheel well. Made a huge differance on underhood heat although I have yet to test that on a really hot day.

Went for a nice drive yesterday with the top off in mid 80 degree weather the temp was 182 allday except on this long hill climb where it hit 190 for a few minutes. The hottest I have had this new setup was 200 working in some deep mud. The mud actually stuck to the fan and created a horrible vibration but the was easily fixed with cleaning.

Also still needs its overflow bottle hooked back up.
I hope this helps you.
Thanks! that helps alot I found a aluminium circle track performance rad off ebay for 200 which looks like it may fit between the frame rails gonna try that if that doesnt work grenada rad it is.
ryanmacneil8448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #229 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Mawe View Post
this is just....inspirational....absolutely stunning build!!! MAD SKILLS!!! 2 things please sir:
more information on the disc brake conversion
and what suspension set up you running?
Thanks,

This thread has the info on the brakes.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=kabuki+brakes

The current suspension set up is Airbags in all corners. Using 15inch travel Ranchos in the rear and 13.875 inch travel in the front both ends using custom upper shock mounts and custom track bars. The front axles caster was set at 5degree at max compression and 3.5 at ride height which made a huge differance on handling. Also using a front swaybar and Hydro assit.
OnMyLid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #230 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmacneil8448 View Post
Thanks! that helps alot I found a aluminium circle track performance rad off ebay for 200 which looks like it may fit between the frame rails gonna try that if that doesnt work grenada rad it is.
The Granada radiator is also the same size as a 1979-1993 mustang.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #231 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
After many evenings spent in the shop I finally have the new bed built and installed. Ended up going with the steel & aluminum mix. Didnt take any good pics of the build. Major changes were shorting it 10 inches, dove tailing to match the fronts pinched nose, lowerd the toolbox 5 inches and recessed the new rocklights into the frame work. Still need to finish the sides and mount the fuel door latches. Here's some pics enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #232 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Some more!
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #233 (permalink)
unimogken

Member # 11745
Nice can't wait to see it in August!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #234 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Very nice build. If I was closer, I would drive over just to look at it. (Not 4000 miles though) I'm interested in the airbags. How big around are they? Are you totally happy with them? Did you have to make brackets just for them or did they fit in coil mounts? Who makes them and what model/size? Any more pics of them? Sorry for the ?s, I'm considering them for a build I'm working on.

Last edited by waterhorse; 07-07-2012 at 07:36 PM.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #235 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
There a firestone air bag that has 15.6" of travel. Need to find the part#. The coil spring mounts need to be fitted with Plates to sapport the bag and adjusted at the right angle for max compression. Im extremly happy with them, still need to get the shocks adjusted though. (Broke one of the adjusters on a rock).
Old 08-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #236 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Finally got the bed sides made. Figure I would make them serve mutiple purposes. Never liked the hinges I had on the first bed due to how difficult it was to get the sides off. These new sides fold down and slide forward for easy removal for use as a ramp or jack plate etc. There simple and seem to work good plus they are lighter then the last ones. Eventually Im planing on adding some leg mounts so they turn into a bench or ramp. Here's some pics enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #237 (permalink)

Member # 80653
you do great work
BenE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #238 (permalink)
Flyer

Member # 204368
Looks GOOD!
heloflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #239 (permalink)

Member # 88513
just in time for mog fest
jeeper90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #240 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Really nice. When you say ramps or jack plates, just how strong are those sides. It looks like they may hold up for a motorcycle or fourwheeler. But a jack plate? I would hate to wreck one jacking up your Doka. Or are they stronger than they look? Look great though and very nice latching set up.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #241 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Thanks

There stronger than they look and are made of 11ga Galvanized Steel. Here's a pic of a 48" piece with 45" between centers it deflected 1/8" with about 1900 lbs. point loaded in the middle and returned to straight when unloaded. If I do bend one and canít straighten Iím not worried. The material was relatively cheap and I picked up a couple extra sticks. Eventually the will be LineXed for durability.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #242 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Thats impressive. Whats next?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #243 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
There a firestone air bag that has 15.6" of travel. Need to find the part#. The coil spring mounts need to be fitted with Plates to sapport the bag and adjusted at the right angle for max compression. Im extremly happy with them, still need to get the shocks adjusted though. (Broke one of the adjusters on a rock).
I'm having trouble locating that airbag. I keep finding airbags that dont have much travel. (4-6") The Firestone site is hard to use. They seem to be aimed at adding hauling capicity, not replacing the springs. Were your origenal spring buckets stock? or did you make them? I'm thinking of making my truck coil sprung all around. Since I have to make or install spring buckets for the rear anyways, I would like to make the spring buckets acomadate the airbag for a future mod if I'm not happy with the ride.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #244 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
Thats impressive. Whats next?
Thanks, nothing major is planned right now. Just a lot of small refinements. Fix radio/subs, fix doghouse, paint, finish fire ext mounts in front of bed, finish bed latches, install steering wheel, make hood latch, install cb, gas door latch, add 2 rock lights, Etc.

Quote:
I'm having trouble locating that airbag. I keep finding airbags that dont have much travel. (4-6") The Firestone site is hard to use. They seem to be aimed at adding hauling capicity, not replacing the springs. Were your origenal spring buckets stock? or did you make them? I'm thinking of making my truck coil sprung all around. Since I have to make or install spring buckets for the rear anyways, I would like to make the spring buckets acomadate the airbag for a future mod if I'm not happy with the ride.
Took me several evenings of going through there part numbers to find them. The spring buckets are stock ones that were modified with bag mount plates. The bags part# is W01-358-5712. If memory serves they were original used on a semi trailer. Got the Spare bag out of storage here are a few pics. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by OnMyLid; 08-15-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #245 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Thankyou. I found it for sale several places. But not much info like how much weight its designed for. Did you get any info with it? Do you know what your truck weighs? How much psi do you run? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #246 (permalink)

Member # 9707
I shot a bunch of footage at Northwest Mogfest of this truck and many other Euro's! Check it out:

Northwest Mogfest 2012 - YouTube
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #247 (permalink)
1960 Unimog

Member # 114854
Any issues with this since? I think its a great idea to get some more travel out of it. Did you fab up the "washer" that links each side together?

Quote:
Before putting the front end back together I decided to check the amount of angle the driveline could take before binding, it was 18 degrees. A closer look I notice it was actually binding on two of the driveline fasteners. So I decided to re drill the drive shaft to allow me to use four more fasteners and two dowel pins. With the original two bolts that bind removed the drive shaft picked up 5 more degrees of travel. We figure the reason I sheared them was a result of the new springs giving me more droop binding the ujoint, stretching the fasteners till they failed.
I fixed this issue with a Differential mounted limiting strap. Had about 8-10 trips since then with no issues.
bigbearpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #248 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Quote:
Thankyou. I found it for sale several places. But not much info like how much weight its designed for. Did you get any info with it? Do you know what your truck weighs? How much psi do you run? Sorry for all the questions.
If memory serves right they were originaly used on Capacity of Texas vehicals.

At this point my mog weighs in just under 5900 lbs and I only run about 40 psi in the front and 25 psi in the back. My biggest problem with them has been because of running such a low air pressure that its difficult with my current ride control to set the air pressure accurately. Also I really need to adjust the front shocks for a little more dampning. Will be posting some vids of them working.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #249 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgerrish View Post
I shot a bunch of footage at Northwest Mogfest of this truck and many other Euro's! Check it out:

Northwest Mogfest 2012 - YouTube
Thanks Ryan
Old 08-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #250 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearpirate View Post
Any issues with this since? I think its a great idea to get some more travel out of it. Did you fab up the "washer" that links each side together?
I have since ditched that setup for 1410 ujoints when i did the trans swap. Are you refuring to part #486, its a factory driveshaft lock tab. Makes removing the driveshaft a real pain.
Attached Images