My V8 Doka Unimog - Page 9 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mercedes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #201 (permalink)

Member # 130105
Everything on this has me drooling except that god awfull steering wheel lol.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #202 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbekko View Post
That looks very nice, but doesn't it feel weird to be shifting next to you instead of in front of you (well, not directly in front, but you know what I mean)?

Still, very cool Mog!
Thanks

It actually doesn't feel to bad. This shifter is only temporary. Plans to change the shifter to a short throw and relocate the handle when I lower the body back to stock height.
OnMyLid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #203 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
TODAY WAS GREAT!

Took it for the first drive late tonight! It was only down the street and flex out through a 2-3 foot ditch. Feels completely different, rode real smooth and shifts so easy. Weired not having to mess with multiple levers to get reverse. Its going to take some time to get use to the new shifters. Looking forward to driving it around some more tomorrow.

Planning on its first snow run Saturday! Have a few things still to do, Need to adjust the new clutch quadrant for a better release height, bleed the brakes and a few other minor things.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #204 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Barely slept last night! Really excited to go play in the snow today even though it's shity snow. Have a couple things left to do, mostly with packing supplies and tools.

Drove it about 30 miles yesterday, mostly on the road. Still have a few tweaks to make but this thing is running sweet. No more gear whine and 5th gear rocks. Gets to 70 really quick. Not sure what my weights are but it feels way more balanced. Hell even managed to lock up all four tires testing the brakes skidding to a stop. Before never got the front to skid before! Going to try and get some vids today.

By the way it roasted the iroks on bare pavement. Before it always wheel hopped, now it just squats and lifts the front end.

Time for the snow!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #205 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Left at 10am yesterday morning in search of the elusive snow.. 30 minutes later this is what we found.. As you can see it's not much snow but it was fun!!! First time in snow with the new set up and it was pretty sweet...

Everything worked great. Still getting use to the shifters. Biggest problem I had was getting use too how to shift into 4wd, not as easy as the last setup of pulling the lever and letting the spring pop it in. Toward the end of the day the shifters became easier to move and it slips into 4wd easy. Never kicked in the aux gearbox all day.

The snow was dismal but we did find a great play area that usual is covered that allowed us to play around and flex it a little bit. No good pics of flexing tho. Made it home safe with only a couple of small issues to address. Fuel gauge went to full and stayed there and the atlas dripped some oil out the speedometer hole looks like its not fully seated and clamped down, had a 2" dia puddle this morning.

So far I have close to 190 miles on it and everything is working great! Wished I would have gone this route from the beginning it would have saved a bunch of cash. Driving to the snow was so nice cruising at 2700rpm and doing roughly 60mph. I'm finding the NV4500 shifts so much smoother and shorter throw than the stock setup that power shifting and down shifting is a breeze. If I change the main handle it will be forward Little and down but for now I'm just going to leave it.

I'm finding that I changed so much that I'm having to relearn where the limits are. It rides so smooth now and the weight seems to be really balanced. cant wait till the new bed, bumper setup and lowering the body so I can re-weight.

Here some pics enjoy!
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #206 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Have some vids will post them soon. Here are a few more pics!
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #207 (permalink)

Member # 29563
Great to see it all works nicely. You've convinced me that this is the right way to go.

That is probably the nicest 404 I've seen now. Really nice build, and thanks for doing the testing for me!

Al.
Astro_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #208 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Been busy Hoping for a snow run this weekend weather looks promising! Finally found a video to post. Nothing special just playing around in a rock pit that is usually covered in 6+ feet of snow. Been making small changes but nothing great.

Still taking it easy hoping to hammer it this weekend! Here's a video sorry about the other trucks and sound. Yes I did kill it! This clutch is so soft compared to the old one and I'm still not use too it.

V8 Unimog Playing in the snow! - YouTube
Old 02-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #209 (permalink)

Member # 9396
Looks Awesome! Great to see the hard work paying off.

Warning, spellchecker is switched off, gramma may be errotic.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #210 (permalink)
plasma dust huffer

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
great work.

www.exit0customs.com

Offering in House Custom CNC Plasma cutting services, we can take your idea from design to your doorstep.

have a sketch you want to become parts for your project? pm me, i can help. parts are shipping out daily

"it makes the mach5 look like a vagina" - ARCHER
carslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #211 (permalink)

Member # 211669
awesome

thnx for all those pics. Hopefully one of these days my Mog will be as badass as yours. I plan on doing basically the same except for the motor. I am going to use a strocked 4.0 Jeep motor. Thank again.
1azz2risk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #212 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Been beating on it as much as I can. Everything is working great, getting all the little things done now. Here's a pic and vid from the snow trip February 18. Didn't air down at all that day, its the same rock pit as before just a little more snow. Enjoy!

V8 Unimog in the snow! - YouTube
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #213 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Went up Sunday to a new spot, got into some of the best snow of the year. Aired down to 7psi and went where ever I wanted. Things are performing great with the new setup. Have about 800-900 miles on it now and everything is working flawless. Here's some pics. Enjoy!
Attached Images

Last edited by OnMyLid; 03-06-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #214 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Here's some vids from Sunday.

V8 Unimog Snow tow - YouTube

V8 Unimog Breaking trail in the Snow! - YouTube

V8 Unimog and some Snow. - YouTube
Old 03-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #215 (permalink)

Member # 162648
I guess im a little late seeing that you posted videos. But that was a very fun day in the snow. It was fun to see how well the mog did.

One day maybe i'll be able to keep up
zufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #216 (permalink)

Member # 216720
Incredibly nice build. Being a newbie to off-road (and cars in general, don't even have my liscense yet), this build inspired a lot of my interest in fabrication and mechanics. It's been fun following along, can't wait to see what's next!

How long is the bed, exactly? looks to be about 5 feet.
kfgk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #217 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Thanks,

The old bed is 6ft and the new one is going to be 62 1/2". Still working on it.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #218 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Since last update I have been abusing it quite often. Everything is working great. Made several more snow runs heres a few pics. Manage to find some deep stuff on my Birthday the picture of the front is with the airbags blowen up 3/4 of the way.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #219 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
I have made it out to the shop a little lately. Here's a few teaser pics of the new bumper I'm planing to install this weekend. Houses a M12000, moved the winch down 5 inches and back close to 6 inches. Ground clearance is 1 inch higher than the stock skidplate and this one is heavely reinfocred. Will post more pictures after the install.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #220 (permalink)

Member # 87091
Hey i have a similar truck as yours just not as nice haha. A Doka with a ford 300 inline 6 in it. I was wondering what your radiator came out of im having no luck cooling mine with whatever is in there. Any help would be appreciated i have a big trip next weekend and this is the only thing holdin me up.
ryanmacneil8448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #221 (permalink)

Member # 190452
Awesome mog I'm local to you, hope to see it around sometime!
IndyFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #222 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmacneil8448 View Post
Hey i have a similar truck as yours just not as nice haha. A Doka with a ford 300 inline 6 in it. I was wondering what your radiator came out of im having no luck cooling mine with whatever is in there. Any help would be appreciated i have a big trip next weekend and this is the only thing holdin me up.
Nice!

The radiator I've been using is a three core unit out of a Ford Granada. It is the same size as a lot of aftermarket fox body Mustang ones. To use it I had to do away with the stock hood latches. That's why I have been running hood pins. Also I had to notch the top of the passenger frame rail for clearance. With the previous motor I had just a fan on the back of it and it worked fine but with the current set up I had to switch to a shorauded fan so I'm using one of the 3500 cfm flex-a-lite fan along with a 180 thermostat, a 16lbs cap and a fan controller that starts at 170 off at 160. It actually cycles on and off now. Also with the last build I cut the inner fender out of the passenger wheel well. Made a huge differance on underhood heat although I have yet to test that on a really hot day.

Went for a nice drive yesterday with the top off in mid 80 degree weather the temp was 182 allday except on this long hill climb where it hit 190 for a few minutes. The hottest I have had this new setup was 200 working in some deep mud. The mud actually stuck to the fan and created a horrible vibration but the was easily fixed with cleaning.

Also still needs its overflow bottle hooked back up.
I hope this helps you.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #223 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Got the front bumper wired and mounted this weekend but it took me till today to whine the new rope. The winch worked great loading the rope on a 10-15 degree slope. Halfway through building the bumper I came up with the idea of mounting one of the new rock lights at the end, it covers awesome.
Here's some pics.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #224 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45500
Few more pics,
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #225 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 105385
Yeah i can never get the winch cable to spool
Good. Its tempting to just leave it the way it came spooled from the factory ..

This thread makes me want to get a mog.
lenross1 is offline   Reply With Quote