2.8L diesel trans options - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mitsubishi
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 83765
2.8L diesel trans options

I just bought a 2.8L intercooled turbo diesel or a 4M40 I believe there called. anyways I don't pick it up till saturday but I'm chompin at the bit to get it into my sami project, I've found s few resourses for trans conversion but seem to be comin up with alot of AW4 info, that said, anyone have info or seen someone toss in other jeep/toyota trans like an R151 or ax15?? any help would be appreciated.
Red
Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 108252
im putting the same in my mitsu jeep did a lot of searching for man swap to.
So im going to use AW4 novak adaptor and a dana 18 and converting it to manual shift.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 83765
So I searched for days, only to realize the mitsu auto trans shares the same bell to pump mounting surface as every other A340 or AW4 duh.. haha and the toy guys have had an answer for that for quite sometime, so with a little more digging here's some links for anyone else who may be thinking of this little diesel.
this guys sells you a cad file for you or local machinist to duplicate
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-1UZ-1...-/200357428186
here's a whole kit for the lexus V8 but it's the same adapter plate and looks interesting with a mount for internal slave, an external with the stock bell could be tricky and probably weaken it too much http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/R154_to...41UZFE_KIT.asp
this guy makes custom bellhousings and will sell a complete kit to adapt to an ax15/R150(1) http://www.4x4-life.com/showtopic.as...63&forumpage=1
I found him on v-eight.com under the username pd4x4
Last but not least my local fav's North West Fab has been developing/making the adapter plates for toyota W and R series trans to lexus V8's. Kyle mentioned to me he used an internal slave from a 99' LS1 vette for his own toy. Hopefully I got a trans mounted up soon and can post up the rest of my clutch goodies
Cheers

Last edited by Redder; 11-29-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Redder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 83765
Decided to save my pennies and do this the junkyard way.
Got my motor cleaned up and painted "cummins beige" seemed fitting for a diesel, used this paint many a times, so it's grown on me, clean and simple easy to spot leaks

After a few months of searching I ran across a Flywheel on Ebay $151 shipped to my door from the UK for another $36 cheapest I could find new was around $1300
Spent a few hrs with the calipers and built a jig to align a Jeep ax15's pressure plate on the flywheel drilled and tapped it and bolted it on (bad angle in the pic, but it's square). I'll get some more pics of how I made the jig, but I used a few of the adapters from the original auto and a few custom but easy to make tools. Also made a new adapter plate for the engine to trans (pics to come).
Machine shop quoted me $220 for the flywheel re-drill and the adapters I posted above the cheapest I could get was $330, so saved enough for my planned 231/d300 adapter
Old 05-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 180935
are you going to use an R151 or AX15 transmission? I'm interested in what you use because I am planning on swapping the 4M40 engine in my Montero and the V5MT1 transmissions are very rare and very expensive if found.
roaming knome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 83765
I'll be using a 2000 nv3550, essentially the same as an ax15.An Aisin/toy r151 is probably the least labor intensive method. Most of the kits listed above would match the inPut length and clutch spacing alot more closely but then again I can't be sure with the rough measurements I have and no trans to compare. An ax15 is a one off, at least for the way I have chosen to do it. I'v machined up a new pilot bearing to seat in the crank vs the flywheel this allows the trans to sit closer to the block and puts the clutch disc in a better location. Currently having a friend Cnc plasma me out two plates one that matches the 2.8 bell pattern and the other the trans, I've also built a jig for the trans and motor to be squared up going to build my own bell. Check out this link for some inspirational caveman tech! http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=328096

Here's the aluminized Bronze pilot bushing I made $7

And a shot of a rough mock up with the stock automatic bellhousing. This before I sunk the pilot bushing into the crank. The input shaft would bottom out on the splines when it was still in the flywheel. It's now about 1" closer with lots of room on the splines fror the clutch disc to move. If you were to use a R150 theres a few input shaft lenghts you can choose from, but you can shrink it up that gap by atleast an inch. the rest could be filled by a number of those kits above with a stock bell

Last edited by Redder; 06-05-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 180935
Wow! That ghetto fab bell housing was really creative and impressive!!!
So I recently found out that the Montero Sport 5sp. manual is a V5MT series variant, it just depends on the year. so there is the V5MT1-2-3-4-5! I guess I should have done some research before I posted before. They are not that popular but definitely not rare. So with that in mind, why not just use a V5MT series trans if you are going to mount it in a Samurai? Just curious. If the NV3500 is significantly stronger or better in one way or another, I just might have to go this route as well. I have an R151F out of a toyota turbo pick 4x4 with transfer case. so keep up the GREAT work!!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 83765
Yeah the cave man article was great info. Seems simple enough especially with the removable enine plate to copy and the back side of a bellhousin to go off of. As for the mitsu V5MT I'd give one a shot, but Mitsubishi hasn't been in Canada all that long. Auto wreckers don't have much of anything. I haven't found much local aside from more RHD Pajero's and Delica's. I scrapped the Samurai Idea I'm 6'4ish and there just too cramped for mu likeing. I used to have a Built up Grand cherokee and liked the fit and comfort so I picked up another one that I had now planned to use... However just bought a YJ Last night A frame and removable top won over AC and wood grain haha. I've had good luck with ax15/nv3500/nv3550 trans in the past. I already had one so it cost me nothing, and It will bolt up to my 231/D300 combo which has been my fav for a NON hardcore more adventure like rig. This is a 2nd rig for me kind of a do anything machine DD/wheelin/campin and pullin 30mpg , been spending all my funds on a Willys buggy build so I make due with whatever parts I can for this one hahaha

Last edited by Redder; 06-21-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 83765
Finally found time to pop by a local fab shop (Northwest fab) and pic up an old order, but when I was there I noticed the owner's (kyle) ax15/r151 hybrid trans sitting on the floor with a Lexus 1UZ V8 bell and his adapter plate bolted up, It's basically a toy R151/R150 front section and the rear is all ax15 ie 6 bolt pattern 23 spline etc etc. I asked if I could borrow it for some R&D. he obliged so here you go!

Lexus bell removed. The internal hydraulic slave is from an LS1 Vette I believe

Mitsu bell bolted up and installed

The toy shaft is shorter, it's also narrower than the stock mitsu pilot bearing so a new one would need to be machined, but you may just be able to run a small sleeve inside the stocker. I'll get out the calipers and go over everything in the next couple days, and decide wether the money outways the hassle of going "caveman" lol
Old 11-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 180935
It's been a long time since I have been here, just been busy with life. So how has the conversion going? Is it driving? I am now in a similar predicament as you are or were in. I have finally decided to pull the trigger and start my project 89' Montero that I am converting to diesel with the same 2.8L 4M40 engine and want a manual 5sp as well. I have an R151F turbo trans that I want to mate to it and am running into the same issues as you. It is not a popular conversion. I have the transmission, I just need to figure out how to mate it to the 4M40!
Sorry for the hijack, hope you project is going well!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 83765
I've been busy too. But am back on this project in a big way, stay tuned should have it buttoned up before christmas
Old 11-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 95675
looking damn good, roaming knome keep us up todate with your swap aswell.
lordtrunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 180935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redder View Post
I've been busy too. But am back on this project in a big way, stay tuned should have it buttoned up before christmas
That is great to hear! Please post some updates, I'm dying to see your solution to making it work!
I am slowly ordering the parts I need so when I actually start cutting and grinding, I will or hopefully have everything I need. Right now it's my only car so I have to be very organized and systematic to limit my down time.

Lordtrunks, I will start a thread and keep everyone updated when I start. I'm going to start my own thread. Back to Redder's thread!
Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 83765
Well don't hold your breathe. Takin some work up in cold ass Northern BC, so I guess an update will be after Christmas. I've decided to give North West Fabs adapter a go. If life would give me the time I'd caveman my own bellhousing but for now I'll fork out the cash. I found an AW4 for free the other day and it fits the mitsu torque converter and is tempting me to just use it and drive but I want to crank up the fuel bang gears and cover bark in soot!!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 180935
I wish you luck up there! As for the adapter, is it engine to bell housing, or bell housing to gear box? I assume you are using the mitsubishi bell housing from a few posts up or has that changed as well? There are so many adapters, compatibility/incompatibility issues, and not very much info out there to verify! It seems very basic but there is a lot of information needed, and trying to get that info is like pulling teeth!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 83765
The adapter is from the stock bell to the new trans. I'm sure some more machining and a few small shims will be needed but based on my quick mockup it should be an easy reliable setup.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 80727
Redder wheres the new build thread now that the s10 truggy is gone?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 83765
Good question. This was 2010's "build" http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...ry-hauler.html come the new year I'll have made a good dent on most of the fabrication. All I can tell you is the motor is in and running but still in need of the rest of the drivetrain. End of January I should hopefully have a roller or two
You can follow along on my local board if you'd like
Leftovers CYJDM

Last edited by Redder; 12-02-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 83765
Well been thinking about this a lot and at the end of the day I don't want an internal slave or a small over priced Toyota clutch, machinist is having some issues with his metal supplier and blah blah blah I cant wait any longer.

So I stripped down an old ax15, my lathe shit the bed so a good friend came to my aid and we spun up some alignment pucks. one to re-do the pressure plate pattern in the mitsu flywheel, just wasn't happy with round one. Now it's mint. and 3 others to press fit into the mainshaft bearings fit the 1" alignment bar and into the crank. I've got some 2"x1" DOM thats a super tight fit on the 1" machined bar to act as a spacer between the motor and trans. cutting the 2 plates for motor and trans out of 3/8's steel, and heating and bending a piece of .250x4" flatbar around some 12" well casing pipe to get out past the flywheel and clutch, before I start filling in the gaps. When its all said and done all have a jeep clutch an external slave, little heavier than I would have liked but its cheap and perhaps use it as a mold to smelter with aluminum at a later date.

Jeep flywheel with spacer press fit inside. This sat on top of the mistu flywheel and the spacer was also press fit into it as well

like this

this is just a rough mockup, building a jig to hold everything out of some large I-beam.

My plan so far is to leave some extra meat on both plates and run some threaded redo-rod in numerous locations to help keep it tight and square as can be while welding little bits at a time side to side.
CAVEMAN style wish me luck lol
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 180935
Wow! So you are going cave man style after all. That's pretty cool! I am looking forward to watching this happen! Keep us updated and good luck!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 83765
together as one!! took way too long to get to this point but I tried numerous options before settling on this method. in the end it was much easier and lighter. I'll get some more detailed pics when its broken down again but its 2 3/8's plates drilled to match both the bak of the stock mitsu bell and the front face of the ax15. I managed to even include the dowel pins on the trans side aswell as a machined ring for the stock bell to rest on, similar to the stock automatics pump surface. the 6 bolts that would normally hold the bell to the stock trans were all drilled out to 1/2'. prior to welding it I internally spaced it to specs with bits of steel tubing and threaded redi rod and then sinched it down with ratchet straps and chain binders, and did small 1-2" passes alternating sides, while slowly bending 1/4" around the trans plate. the bolts that hold the stock bell to the adapter are now permanetly welded in and accessible when you pull the trans. only way to do it, with needing such long bolts. you can get at all 9 bolts on the trans side with either a crows foot wrench or a cut down box end.

The clutch is a stock Jeep, however I've incorperated a toyota R150 pivot arm and slave and master cyclinders to make it work. the jeep's external slave pushes on a pivot arm that stretches from side to side of a jeep bell housing. I didnt have the room but a toyota just uses one pivot location and pushes for one side. the hole opening of a stock toyota bell pivot arm was nearly the same size as the gaps between the plates and it was easy enough to adjust pivot location with a jam nut.

the new frame and power plant are for my 47' cj2a pickup project. should be interesting

Last edited by Redder; 04-18-2013 at 08:29 PM.