My Montero's... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mitsubishi
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 146074
My Montero's...

New to the forum but not to the Mitsu 4x4 world. Been driving them off road since the early 90's and am on my 4th Montero.

History
Originally I had a 90 v6 4 door with an LSD. In stock trim, I rolled it off road (1st time ever going off road) No pics of that.

Then I got another 90 v6 4 door with an open dif. This one I built up with an ARB rear locker, 33x12.5's MT's, 1/4" thick steel rock bumpers front and rear, 1/4" skid plates, rock skids for the rocker panels, etc. Took it on numerous trips on including Moab (primarily did the hardest trails), Rubicon/Sierra's, etc. This one had an electrical issue and for a couple of years I couldn't get it to start. So it's in retirement at the Ranchero Montero.

Then I got an 89 v6 2 door with an LSD. I swapped front bumper, tires & skid plates with the 90, added a 2" body lift, and wheeled it on a number of trips (got some Pismo 'Air', Big Bear, etc.) but it was too small for long trips.

So next I bought a 96 SR with a stock rear locker. I put a 2" body lift, upgraded to 35x12.5" MT tires, mounted Jeep TJ Smittybuild (like) tube bumpers (modified the frame ends to accept Jeep TJ bumpers), trimmed some excess fat, etc. Here's how she currently sits...

Up next for this rig are rocker panel skidz, re-inforced skid plates underneath, mounting a 12k winch, etc.

Last edited by Off-Roader; 11-11-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Off-Roader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 100758
Good to see another Mitsu guy on Pirate.

I know the screen name from 4x4wire but never saw your trucks, nice. Love the 96SR!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 145567
Good to have you, I love that pic of you pullin out the Range Rover. Make sure to take lots of pics of those sliders when there done.
1985 Mitsubishi Pickup, 2.3 H.O. Turbo Diesel, Watercooled Turbo, ported and polished 4D56 Head with Roller Rockers, Custom '83 Injection pump, JK Rubicon axles w/elockers and disc brakes, 14" Fox Coilovers, Centerforce II, 5.0 Atlas II, ARB Bull Bar, 33x12.50x17 General Grabber Competition tires
4D55 Performance Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 146074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raole Duke View Post
Good to see another Mitsu guy on Pirate.

I know the screen name from 4x4wire but never saw your trucks, nice. Love the 96SR!
Well, yeah if you've hung out on the wire's mitsu 4x4 forum then you'd have seen my posts.

Glad you like the SR although it's striving to keep up with cap510's SR that's running on 37's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4D55 Performance Inc View Post
Good to have you, I love that pic of you pullin out the Range Rover. Make sure to take lots of pics of those sliders when there done.
Yeah I like that one too. To be fair the guy was definitely out of his element. First time off road with it. Running on street tires. Didn't air down (not that he could have gone down too far with those tires). Once he got past the hard packed sand highway and into the softer sand, he was done.

Being a good Samaritan and not wanting to miss a great photo op, I offered to strap him onto the hard packed sand. He agreed and once back on the safer stuff I advised him to either park his rig and maybe join us for a few beverages and listen to some tales or even a ride along so he could learn the proper way to wheel in that terrain but definitely don't try to do any more driving in the soft pack.

He declined and headed off the beach. Probably a bit embarrassed 'cause his GF and 2 others were with him.

As for the sliders, I'll probably simple get the Trailgear sliders as they'll fit (70" span on the monty).

As for the skid plates, it won't be anything too different. Simply add 1/4" or 3/16" steel plating to the existing skid plates. I'll also do what I can to re-enforce the stock mounts so they're also stronger.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 66172
The Ranchero Montero gladly accepted ol' Blue to the herd. She has been renamed Molly. Ray, you should put up some of you gif-animation, maybe something with Carlos winching the Semi on Mormon Emigrant Trail....??

R-
Old 11-13-2009, 06:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 146074
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxinhed View Post
The Ranchero Montero gladly accepted ol' Blue to the herd. She has been renamed Molly. Ray, you should put up some of you gif-animation, maybe something with Carlos winching the Semi on Mormon Emigrant Trail....??

R-
Unfortunately I wasn't there and don't have anything from that trip. But I have got this...

Old 11-13-2009, 06:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 146074
Also for those curious, here's where I've been documenting the build up of the 96 SR.
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...ue#Post1164688

Also recently incorporated a sleeping platform in back with storage. It's designed so that the rear seats will still work.

Already tested (myself and a friend) during the recent Mojave Road Trail run I put together.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 98655
So Ray the ol' blue Montero has been retired eh. I remember reading about a rear trailing arm breaking at the Rubicon and other assorted adventures you guys had with your Mitsu's. Glad to have found you again!

Are the Montero engines reliable or would a swap to a more servicable, easier to get parts for engine be advisable? Seems to me most I see for sale are very cheap because of engine issues. I was considering the GM (3.8/4.3) or Ford (3.8/4.0) V6's as transplant possibilities for one of these vehicles. One of those engine/trans/t-case swaps would put an almost complete American(read easy to get parts for in rural areas) driveline in one of these vehicles.

Last edited by just4cuz; 11-18-2009 at 05:30 PM.
just4cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 125523
they are reliable like every other car if you take care of it. For example, 120,000ish timing belt
Old 11-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 112495
I know with my Mighty Max's the main reason they break down and come up for sale is because they have a very low retail even in good shape and run with little to no maintenance so thus ideal for lowincome folks. I.E. one day I saw a MM loaded to the hilt with random shit goin 60 down the interstate probly hadnt seen a wash in 5yrs, much less an oil change.
Spicoli_D50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Reason I ask is I have a 87 Mazda B2600, with a frozen engine. Got it for free.
I know the 2.6 Mitsubishi engine in those years was problematic. Mine is getting replaced with a Ford 3.0 V6. Bell housing from a Aeostar minivan with a stick bolts right to the Toyo Kogo trans. So I am not adverse to the swap angle. I guess it just depends on how much power you want, right?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 112495
B2600 as in the one that the 4g63 guys want so they can make the somewhat stock "supertranny"?

If you do use it with the 3.0 are you gonna swap to part of the rx7 tranny and actually make the supertranny?

And what are you puttting the 3.0 in?
Spicoli_D50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 146074
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4cuz View Post
So Ray the ol' blue Montero has been retired eh. I remember reading about a rear trailing arm breaking at the Rubicon and other assorted adventures you guys had with your Mitsu's. Glad to have found you again!

Are the Montero engines reliable or would a swap to a more servicable, easier to get parts for engine be advisable? Seems to me most I see for sale are very cheap because of engine issues. I was considering the GM (3.8/4.3) or Ford (3.8/4.0) V6's as transplant possibilities for one of these vehicles. One of those engine/trans/t-case swaps would put an almost complete American(read easy to get parts for in rural areas) driveline in one of these vehicles.
Yup, its resting at the Russell's Rancho Montero.

The trailing arm break was only Part I of my saga with that problem. Part II was when I went back 2 years later and while on the Slick Rock Trail the rear axle housing cracked at the seam where the driver side housing attaches to the differential casing. Broke the axle and part of the ARB locker. Had to replace the entire rear end on the trail with another one after taking a quick trip to Rancho Cordova for the replacement. Afterwards, we went on to the Deer Valley Trail, Strawberry Trail, and on to the Con. This time I did the con with only a rear LSD and did fine.

BTW, so do I know you? LOL.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 145891
Quote:
The Ranchero Montero gladly accepted ol' Blue to the herd.
R-
Russell! how is the passenger door and fender? are they available for parts

GreatWhiteShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 145891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-Roader View Post
Unfortunately I wasn't there and don't have anything from that trip. But I have got this...

GreatWhiteShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicoli_D50 View Post
B2600 as in the one that the 4g63 guys want so they can make the somewhat stock "supertranny"?

If you do use it with the 3.0 are you gonna swap to part of the rx7 tranny and actually make the supertranny?

And what are you puttting the 3.0 in?
Yes B2600 4x4 that supposedly has the "good" transmission according to my Kiwi friend who just visited me.

I will swap the Aerostar bell housing onto to the front of the Toyo Koyo trans and use Ford V6 Flywheel and clutch stuff. Bellhousing length is the same, trans should hold up behind the 3.0 V6 quite well. Gonna install front and rear LSD also. Rear from RX7 and front from...I'll have to ask Fred but I think its Miata.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 98655
Quote:
Yup, its resting at the Russell's Rancho Montero.

The trailing arm break was only Part I of my saga with that problem. Part II was when I went back 2 years later and while on the Slick Rock Trail the rear axle housing cracked at the seam where the driver side housing attaches to the differential casing. Broke the axle and part of the ARB locker. Had to replace the entire rear end on the trail with another one after taking a quick trip to Rancho Cordova for the replacement. Afterwards, we went on to the Deer Valley Trail, Strawberry Trail, and on to the Con. This time I did the con with only a rear LSD and did fine.

BTW, so do I know you? LOL.
No you don't know me, Ive been a Mitsubishi lurker for a long time. Since before I even got my B2600 4x4. I knew it had a Mitsu engine in it and came upon your site while looking at transplant possiblities into the pickup. That is why I picked it up. I'm not small and out of all the small regular cab import trucks the Mazda is the only regular cab I can fit in. I did a lot of research before I got this truck even though it was free.
It will go from a Mazda/Mitsu marriage to a Mazda/Ford marriage power train wise.
I have had an interest in a few Japanese 4x4's, Isuzu pickups and Rodeo's, Nissan 720's and Hardbodys and Montero's. Otherwise I am a Chevy guy.

Last edited by just4cuz; 11-20-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 86536
cool...just picked up a mighty max myself
macktoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 148487
Quote:

That is one nice vehicle!

Is it for sale perhaps since you have the newer one?

I like your new vehicle but the red one is way Hotter!
K.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 146074
For sale? Not anytime soon LOL.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 66172
Cool

I get Ray's cast-offs first! BTW, Ray, thanks!

...and do you need a Raider grille, or a set of Montero badges for the fender?

Last edited by rxinhed; 12-19-2009 at 08:03 PM.
rxinhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 146074
Quote:
...and do you need a Raider grille, or a set of Montero badges for the fender?
Thanks for the offer Russell. Michael got me a fender badge at the yard already though.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 148487
Quote:
For sale? Not anytime soon LOL.
if you find that you need some cash in a hurry. please hit me up.

that red montero is sexy!

sorry russell
Old 12-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 66172
What I don't have in the way of V6 2-doors, I make up with quantity. I'm getting another 87 Raider parts car as trade for some rims...that'll be 10 Mitsus if I don't clear something out first.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 148487
Quote:
that'll be 10 Mitsus if I don't clear something out first.
that is why you are the Mitsubishi Parts Pimp

Last edited by K.A.; 12-20-2009 at 03:38 PM.