Mighty Max as a donor... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mitsubishi
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 69534
Mighty Max as a donor...

I have bent up a tube buggy frame and its in need of a engine and tcase. I also have a 93 mighty max with a v6 3.0 that could be used as a donor for the buggy. Question is is it worth the effort with the max. I cant find anything on the tcase strength or even who makes it. Any input or direction on tcase specs? can they be doubled up?
Metal Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 48020
Great engine and trans combo for strength, Is it auto or manual? If it's manual you'repretty much looking at 2.85 gears from Austrailia. If you have the auto you can pretty much do anything.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 69534
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyninja View Post
Great engine and trans combo for strength, Is it auto or manual? If it's manual you'repretty much looking at 2.85 gears from Austrailia. If you have the auto you can pretty much do anything.
Its a 5 speed standard... so where is the weakest link? engine, transmission, or TCase? and do you know what T case is in it and is there any replacement options for it. As far as the 2.85 gears maybe doubling up the TCase.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 48020
your trans is a V5MT-1 the t-case is mitsu , the weak link is the clutch but you can get a centerforce for it. I think ES has a the same trans as you with dual cases here's a link http://www.4x4extremesports.com/inde...conversion.php You can pick up a auto on the cheap out of a Gen 1 V6 Montero, they are hydraulic controled so you won't need a computer. Montero Auto transmissions don't have a weak link, lots of t-case options and there is a guy on this forum that makes manual shift controlers for it.

Last edited by sneakyninja; 07-09-2010 at 10:43 AM.
sneakyninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 145567
I think it would make a great little engine for a rock buggy but first you must decide whether you want to mate it to a manual or an automatic because the doublers are very different. Personally I would recommend getting an auto out of a V6 montero because they are bullet proof and more rock crawling friendly. By going with the auto there are so many more options like you could go to an Atlas II, Atlas 4 speed, NP241, NP231 etc.
1985 Mitsubishi Pickup, 2.3 H.O. Turbo Diesel, Watercooled Turbo, ported and polished 4D56 Head with Roller Rockers, Custom '83 Injection pump, JK Rubicon axles w/elockers and disc brakes, 14" Fox Coilovers, Centerforce II, 5.0 Atlas II, ARB Bull Bar, 33x12.50x17 General Grabber Competition tires
4D55 Performance Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 69534
Thumbs up

Great info. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. An Auto would be much more desirable to me but that might have to be a down the road modification. Im sure the auto would have to be a driver side drop as well? The frame is .095 moly and pretty light for a tube frame so Im confidant that the engine will handle it no problem. Any inside advice on the drive train. Ive been using the mighty max for a few years as a shop truck and love it. But I really want to finish the crawler and well... LOL a few pics of the frame. I set it up with a 4.o Heep out of an XJ, but NAAAAAA. Want something different.

I do have a NP231j and a good 1990 AW4 wonder if there is a tranny adaptor...

Thanks for the help guys, you've already saved me a huge amount of research time. Oh and a pic of the donor.

Last edited by Metal Twister; 07-09-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 48020
I have the bellhousing to bolt up the 3.0 to the AW4, i also have a torque converter but i lack the flexplate because my friend needed it. So if you want to run the 3.0 with the jeep trans let me know i'm sure we could work something out
Old 07-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 69534
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyninja View Post
I have the bellhousing to bolt up the 3.0 to the AW4, i also have a torque converter but i lack the flexplate because my friend needed it. So if you want to run the 3.0 with the jeep trans let me know i'm sure we could work something out
Hummmmmmm sounds interesting. I sent ya a PM with a few questions. Thanks M.T.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
plh

Member # 147062
I'd luv to own your doner, that thing is beautiful!
plh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 69534
Quote:
Originally Posted by plh View Post
I'd luv to own your doner, that thing is beautiful!
Sorry not for sale... its going under the knife... or I should say Plasma cutter.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
plh

Member # 147062
really? would'nt you be happier with Cherokee running gear? I've got a $$ amount in mind. Might make you happy. PM me. or you could pick-up a '95 SR rear locker from a JY. You really don't want to use the front Mitsu IFS...

Last edited by plh; 07-11-2010 at 04:15 AM.
plh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 69534
Quote:
Originally Posted by plh View Post
really? would'nt you be happier with Cherokee running gear? I've got a $$ amount in mind. Might make you happy. PM me. or you could pick-up a '95 SR rear locker from a JY. You really don't want to use the front Mitsu IFS...
I already have a 4.0, AW4, and tcase... The truck is very clean but I suspect that it was in a flood at one time. MUD up under the dash? It has 130000 miles on it and the suspension is very loose and needs rebuild. The registration is about to expire and Im not sure if it will pass smog test again. Ive already made plans for it so thanks, but no thanks.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 145567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Twister View Post
I already have a 4.0, AW4, and tcase... The truck is very clean but I suspect that it was in a flood at one time. MUD up under the dash? It has 130000 miles on it and the suspension is very loose and needs rebuild. The registration is about to expire and Im not sure if it will pass smog test again. Ive already made plans for it so thanks, but no thanks.
Sound like a good donor, Mud under the dash is a good indicator the truck was either in a flood or it was owned by a high school kid.
1985 Mitsubishi Pickup, 2.3 H.O. Turbo Diesel, Watercooled Turbo, ported and polished 4D56 Head with Roller Rockers, Custom '83 Injection pump, JK Rubicon axles w/elockers and disc brakes, 14" Fox Coilovers, Centerforce II, 5.0 Atlas II, ARB Bull Bar, 33x12.50x17 General Grabber Competition tires
4D55 Performance Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 69534
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4D55 Performance Inc View Post
Sound like a good donor, Mud under the dash is a good indicator the truck was either in a flood or it was owned by a high school kid.
LOL... Actually I am the second owner and the first owner was an old gummur that used it to get the mail on the ranch. bet its was never driven over 50mph before I got it. Just curious at what mileage should the timing belt be changed? They are belts right?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 112495
Yes belts, the maintenance required light in the gauge cluster should come on telling you I forget how many miles belts water pump timing assembly