1990 Mighty Max Engine Choices... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mitsubishi
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 171097
1990 Mighty Max Engine Choices...

Hello, new to Pirate. I'm not on my third Mighty Max, and this one has serious engine issues, so I'm looking for a replacement...

Sorry if I missed the section on this (if it exists), but I would like to know if the engine out of a 92-98 Hyundai Sonata is the same long block. A guy on another forum says they're identical, but I asked him to follow up and he hasn't answered yet. So, if anyone knows... Can I change the manifolds and basically be "good"? That wouldn't be bad, and those engines are easier to find around here in decent shape.

Please let me know all you can. It sounds like the Caravan engines were actually quite different (oil filter housing location, along with different compression ratios, etc. Doesn't sound like it would be a matter of changing manifolds and accessories and making it work. Although maybe somebody has had a better experience?

Again, thanks, and I hope these questions haven't been answered. I've searched all over and cannot find anything...
mineitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 171097
Man, these 6G72 engines must be an elusive subject...

Anybody have any input? I just don't have much info except what a guy over on the wire told me about the Hyundai "being a straight over long block swap". I'd like to believe that, but will have no way to tell, really, until after I purchase an engine - and that is too late!

Someone has to have a link or something! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 171097
OK, I've done a bunch of leg work online at the parts houses by comparing parts numbers...

It looks like the lower end is identical, even the starter, which tells me the Mitsu flywheel can MOST likely be bolted right on to the crank, etc. The bearings (rods and mains) are the same, along with complete gasket set. The valvetrain appears to be the same, in as far as the valves, seals, guides, etc. Water pump is the same, along with exhaust manifold gasket. Ignition control module the same (so they share some of those components also). The one thing I cannot tell in the intake side of the heads - the gasket sets for the intakes call for a different part number, although it looks like, from the pictures, that both gaskets that actually meet the head are the same on both models. It's that third gasket that looks different, which would make sense. Camshaft: I cannot seem to find a parts house that lists the same mfger for each cam, so therefore I cannot compare the two. It would appear they are the same, but I'm not sure. Anybody got any advice? One place I found that sells reground cams had a chart and they listed the mitsu as "left side w/integral gear" and right side w/o integral gear". For the Hyundai they listed "left side w/integral gear - roller", and "right side w/o integral gear - roller". The part numbers are different. So, the 90 mitsu doesn't have roller rockers, and the 90-92 Hyundai does? What I'm interested in at this point is the timing and the cam gears. Sounds like the cam gears are the same, because they both use the same timing belt. However, the cams themselves sound like they might be different. Regardless, if the intake and everything above could be used from the mitsu, then I would think it might work out ok. The distributors listed use two different part numbers, but that could be an identical distributor with different e-plugs only. No way to know without mic'ing one and hoping for the best, I guess. I would think the distributor would need to be swapped for the mitsu ECU to work, but a guy might be able to just splice into the Hyundai plug? I really don't know.

Thought I'd share what I've learned and hoping someone will see this that's worked on both of these engines and/or done the swap.

Thanks...
Old 10-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
I get up around 7

Member # 153487
Cool info...
altho i have a six. i see the mighty max's down at the junkyard every so often.
Guns_and_Roses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 171097
Going to pick it up tomorrow morning. 65,000 miles and $350, guaranteed for 60 days. Smokin' deal.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 69534
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineitnow View Post
Going to pick it up tomorrow morning. 65,000 miles and $350, guaranteed for 60 days. Smokin' deal.
Better for you if its not a "smokin" deal! Sorry couldn't resist!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 171097
Just a quick update - got the engine in and it runs like a top. Had to tear the 6G72 from the Sonata down to basically a short block, and then put everything off mine onto it. Everything went smooth and the engine is a quiet solid runner.

Now, I'm busy trying to repair all kinds of other things that are wrong with the old truck. Brakes, interior, frame repair, etc, etc
Old 03-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 145567
Quote:
Just a quick update - got the engine in and it runs like a top. Had to tear the 6G72 from the Sonata down to basically a short block, and then put everything off mine onto it. Everything went smooth and the engine is a quiet solid runner.

Now, I'm busy trying to repair all kinds of other things that are wrong with the old truck. Brakes, interior, frame repair, etc, etc
Thanks for the update,

Good to hear it worked out for you.
1985 Mitsubishi Pickup, 2.3 H.O. Turbo Diesel, Watercooled Turbo, ported and polished 4D56 Head with Roller Rockers, Custom '83 Injection pump, JK Rubicon axles w/elockers and disc brakes, 14" Fox Coilovers, Centerforce II, 5.0 Atlas II, ARB Bull Bar, 33x12.50x17 General Grabber Competition tires
4D55 Performance Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 100758
Quote:

Nice to know, good work.