New to the forum, already with the questions.... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Mitsubishi
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 186719
New to the forum, already with the questions....

helo all, I have a 1989 montero lwb that I picked up for $400. great truck except for the engine. its got a wierd issue with no spark on cyl #2. EVERYTHING has been replaced. distributor, wires, plugs, ecu wiring....... and its still there. and it bucks between 2K and 3k rpm as well. even the mitsubishi dealership couldn't figure it out and blamed it on the compression numbers. which, incidently #2 had the highest on that bank at 180psi, the others being 140psi and 100psi. who knew high compression makes a cylinder not spark?

ANYWAY. Its a great 4x4, never gets stuck in the minneapolis winters and snow and its been taken really good care of all of its life. When I got it, the body was in fantastic shape (being from new mexico) and all the suspension had recently been replaced, along with a brand new set of tires.

Now, I want to do a diesel swap on it. I thought about the 4d55t swap, and even found a complete donor 2wd mighty max for $1300. then Id have to source a 4cyl trans, mounts, blah blah blah. I was ready to pull the trigger when I happened across a nissan fd35t with trans and hydraulic pump for $500. I snatched it up FAST. I'll sell the trans (2wd cube truck trans) and pump and probably break even.

Now, I need an adapter plate made. Anyone know where or who can make one for me?
McAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 145567
I think you would be much better off going with the Mitsubishi KM148 tranny than the Ford. Then you would not need to have an adapter plate made.
1985 Mitsubishi Pickup, 2.3 H.O. Turbo Diesel, Watercooled Turbo, ported and polished 4D56 Head with Roller Rockers, Custom '83 Injection pump, JK Rubicon axles w/elockers and disc brakes, 14" Fox Coilovers, Centerforce II, 5.0 Atlas II, ARB Bull Bar, 33x12.50x17 General Grabber Competition tires
4D55 Performance Inc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 186719
I have decided NOT to go with the mitsu motor.

I will be installing a Nissan FD35T, which is direct injection, 3.5L 4 cylinder that comes stock with 120hp and 210lbs/ft of torque.

I am looking for an adapter plate to mate up the nissan fd35t to the stock mitsu v6 manual trans.
McAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
I get up around 7

Member # 153487
maybe try Mark's $WD adapters.....

problem is they are in Australia

http://www.marks4wd.com/
Guns_and_Roses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 66172
Or, use the Nissan trans and get a remote t-case from a Nissan 80's-era 4wd??

Or, just get an Atlas t-case...only $$ and all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.