5.3L & 6.0L Turnkey Engines - Starting at $1995 - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor's Marketplace > Motor/Tranny/T-Case Performance
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #176 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby View Post
Ok so the way I understand it u use a speed density tune eliminating the mass air? Does this affect the drivability at all? Also does your harness use a vss. I plan on using a 5 speed and if u use a vss could u change the tune to use the jeep factory vss. From what I have read u can change the value in the tune. And what year would I need for 5.3 with cable tb and could u chage the flex plate for a flywheel. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

JD
Read the next post of my opinion about Speed Density & MAF tuning and how I handle it.

You do not need a VSS for proper engine operation with a TH350/400, 700R4, Manual, etc. There are settings in the tune to change a number of VSS in & out settings but I've never changed as I've never found it necessary to. If you want to drive an aftermarket speedo, then your factory jeep VSS will do that without routing through the ECM.

Any flexplate / flywheel changes is up to you - that stuff is pretty straight forward, you don't need to pay me to do it.
Reno, Nevada
GM Gen3 V8's starting at $1995 - TURNKEY!
BDTurnkeyEngines.Com
BD_Turnkey_Engines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #177 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200451
--TUNING--
SPEED DENSITY vs MAF

BD Turnkey Engines will be SHIPPED with a Speed-Density / CLOSED Loop tune

This topic is VERY debatable. An Internet research will often leave you with more questions than answers. Continue reading, and I will do my best to explain and substantiate why I feel a Speed-Density / Closed Loop fuel injection system is most appropriate for aftermarket projects.

Speed Density / "CLOSED" Loop Tuning
This is the fuel injection system that I prefer for aftermarket projects. It utilizes every sensor except the MAF. The O2 sensors adjust fuel below "Power Enrichment". Above a level of throttle (Power Enrichment) fuel is calculated from a table using the TPS, MAP, RPM, etc. This system DOES adjust with altitude via the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. The MAP sensor is also used as a BARO (Barometric) Sensor. As you gain or loose altitude the ECM will “shift” the fuel calculations.

NO MAF Reasoning: The MAF sensor accurately measures the volume of incoming air when properly calibrated. Its data helps the ECM adjust the amount of fuel delivered to maximize fuel efficiency and minimize emissions. But, it does this best when at a steady-state, i.e. constant throttle at highway or cruise speeds. In transient situations, i.e. on/off the throttle the MAF becomes inaccurate and the ECM has to calculate or estimate these changes. For offroad, racing, rock crawling, and most aftermarket situations, steady-state driving is minimal. In testing & tuning I have also found the variations in customers intake design to be very problematic. The factory duplicates millions of cars with identical intake designs and has done extensive MAF tuning on that design. I can sell you a duplicate engine & tune, but no one is going to run the same intake design. The slightest variation or change in intake configuration can significantly disrupt the tune, and I have seen this first hand. The airflow through a MAF can be disturbed very easily by 90-degree bends, couplers, etc. A factory tune uses the combination of the MAF and Speed Density calculations and if the MAF does not function properly they battle each other, and poor performance and drivability is the result. It is usually at a specific RPM window where the intake design induces some sort of turbulence. Many drivers may not even notice it, but in some instances it can be quite extreme. FYI, Not all manufacturers use a MAF even today. Without a MAF I can guarantee that your engine will run identical to the test engine that the tune was derived from.

Speed Density / "OPEN" Loop Tuning
This is often what many are referring to when the term “Speed Density” is used, and it has a somewhat negative connotation to most. It was one of the first injection systems and does NOT utilize O2 sensors and does NOT compensate for altitude or barometric changes. In simple terms, it is an electronic carburetor that injects fuel based on a fuel map relative to throttle position, intake vacuum, & rpm only. It is still used in boats today and some turnkey engine builders still use it.

MAF Tune
Ultimately, a MAF tune is the best. If you insist on using the MAF my harnesses have provisions for both SD & MAF and the ECM comes programmed to automatically use either. The IAT that I add in the intake manifold for SD is tied into the original MAF circuit (MAF’s have an incorporated IAT). If you want to run a MAF, simply unplug the IAT in the intake manifold and plug in the supplied MAF. Locate the MAF approxiametely 24” from the throttle blade. Also, make sure you have a minimum of 6-8” of straight tubing after the air passes through the MAF. This will closely replicate the factory layout and help the data from the MAF be close to factory figures. Despite what many think, MAF tunes on GM cars from 1998-2006 use a combination of “Speed Density” calculations with the addition of a MAF to fine-tune. The base in the tune is “Speed Density”! If you unplug the MAF sensor your car still runs. You will get a “check engine” light, but the system reverts to the “Speed Density” tune. It’s your decision. FYI; My Speed Density tunes have the MAF set for NO “check engine” but will use the data if plugged in.

Conclusion
Your BD Turnkey Engine is going to run VERY good when you get it. You will be surprised at how good without a MAF because of the highly polished tune. I run my personal car without a MAF, as do many drag racers, offroaders, etc. This comes from many hours of tuning that particular engine combination. And that is what you are getting – a duplicate engine & tune!
Reno, Nevada
BDTurnkeyEngines.Com
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #178 (permalink)

Member # 11323
?

Ok so from what I read u do. Ot do any tuning for the trans if going 5.3 with 4l60e. Your harness do come with the hookups for that tranny correct I know I asked about 5 spd but after lots of reading and math auto wins. And as my other post what is newest 5.3 that is available from u with a cable tb. Thanks

Jd
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #179 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby View Post
Ok so from what I read u do. Ot do any tuning for the trans if going 5.3 with 4l60e. Your harness do come with the hookups for that tranny correct I know I asked about 5 spd but after lots of reading and math auto wins. And as my other post what is newest 5.3 that is available from u with a cable tb. Thanks

Jd
from above: "MAF Tune - Ultimately, a MAF tune is the best. If you insist on using the MAF my harnesses have provisions for both SD & MAF and the ECM comes programmed to automatically use either." But if I know for a fact you will NOT be using the MAF I eliminate it for SD only - it saves me some time.

If you want to run the 4l60 its +$50.00 (either with engine package or harness re-work)

DBC is 1999-2002. Keep in mind, these are the oldest engines and getting harder to find low miles. I do still get them, but they are getting rare. There is NO reason to need DBC with either a manual or 4l60!
Reno, Nevada
BDTurnkeyEngines.Com
Old 04-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #180 (permalink)

Member # 214785
What is your lead time looking like on a 6.0 with the Z06 cam?

Thanks,
xprider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #181 (permalink)

Member # 157020
Send a message via Skype™ to garand_engineering
Hi can you quote 4 engines please,

2x Ls2 RTR
2x Ls3 RTR

can you also quote same engines complete but not RTR

Got any L92's hanging around?$ RTR? also I cant remember the model but there was an LS motor that came out as a front wheel drive, can you qoute one of those RTR complete with tranny, I have a need for motors down under in New Zealand But they must all be alloy blocks.

all shipped to 90723 thanks
garand_engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #182 (permalink)

Member # 183983
Hi, can I get a quote for an L92 and LQ9, both ready to run with a modern auto (6L80, 4L65)? Thanks!
beibol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #183 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200451
Sorry for the slow response, I have been on vacation for the past week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xprider View Post
What is your lead time looking like on a 6.0 with the Z06 cam?

Thanks,
6.0's have been hard to get lately. running a 6+ week waiting list on average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garand_engineering View Post
Hi can you quote 4 engines please,

2x Ls2 RTR
2x Ls3 RTR

can you also quote same engines complete but not RTR

Got any L92's hanging around?$ RTR? also I cant remember the model but there was an LS motor that came out as a front wheel drive, can you qoute one of those RTR complete with tranny, I have a need for motors down under in New Zealand But they must all be alloy blocks.

all shipped to 90723 thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by beibol View Post
Hi, can I get a quote for an L92 and LQ9, both ready to run with a modern auto (6L80, 4L65)? Thanks!
please read completely, its all there: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...88&postcount=1

I don't deal with LS Engines, Transmissions, or Parts. Base prices are posted. Final prices vary slightly based on condition, year, mileage, etc. and can't be finalized until I buy the engines.
Reno, Nevada
BDTurnkeyEngines.Com
Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #184 (permalink)

Member # 202292
Best money ever spent!! Runs like a top. I opted for the 5.3L with the 4l60E, 91 octain tune, Z06 cam, and cruise control pin out. Everything works as advertised. Every bit of 350 HP! Love it. If anyone has questions about my experience with this engine, shoot me a p.m. Thanks Bryan!
TheDuke17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #185 (permalink)

Member # 148940
I have a running 5.3. What would you charge for a retuned computer with a new harness? Pm please

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #186 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200451
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwellyj View Post
I have a running 5.3. What would you charge for a retuned computer with a new harness? Pm please

Thanks!
Sorry, I don't do PM's! Direct email, phone, or posts.

I don't do new harnesses. If you need one, contact Kevin at Pacific Fabrication. They have nice new harnesses for $725 I believe and the computer reflash with harness purchase is around $100 I think. But you said, "I have a running 5.3", so I'm kinda confused?
Reno, Nevada
BDTurnkeyEngines.Com
Old 04-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #187 (permalink)

Member # 104517
These are good prices, as I just got quoted within $100 of your price just to pick up a used motor/harness from the junkyard.

Definately a good deal, too bad my wife keeps stealing all my $$$ when I save up enough to call you.

Last edited by chevy_man; 04-20-2012 at 04:27 PM.
chevy_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #188 (permalink)

Member # 47730
had brian do my computer and harness..did a great job with very good instructions.fast service and very helpfull. thanks brian!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #189 (permalink)

Member # 180248
What do you have in stock right now and how long of a wait is it to have you do the zo6 upgrade... Thanks in advance
Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #190 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200451
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsyj94 View Post
What do you have in stock right now and how long of a wait is it to have you do the zo6 upgrade... Thanks in advance
I maintain an email waiting list. Most engines are petty much sold when they arrive. But start emailing me WEEKLY with a request. Most guys are getting engines in 4-6 weeks lately.

------------------------------------------------

Here is another 6.0 LQ9 that is ready for shipment to a customer in Las Vegas.

2003 Cadillac Escalade Motor, 93k miles

Reno, Nevada
BDTurnkeyEngines.Com
Old 05-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #191 (permalink)

Member # 180248
I'm wanting a lq4 shipped to nor cal, I need to know what kind of down payment want and I have a few questions about the wiring for gauges and what not if you could please give me a call at 530-598-4321 in the afternoon because I work nights, I've tried to call but no answer... Thank you Rob
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #192 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200451
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_Turnkey_Engines View Post
I maintain an email waiting list. Most engines are petty much sold when they arrive. But start emailing me WEEKLY with a request. Most guys are getting engines in 4-6 weeks lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsyj94 View Post
I'm wanting a lq4 shipped to nor cal, I need to know what kind of down payment want and I have a few questions about the wiring for gauges and what not if you could please give me a call at 530-598-4321 in the afternoon because I work nights, I've tried to call but no answer... Thank you Rob
I do my best to actually answer every call, but miss one from time to time. And when I do, I don't return calls if you don't leave me a message. I take as many calls as I can answer from 9am-9pm PST, Daily! (weekends too).

Gauges? Have you seen some of the new OBDII gauges on the market. Pretty Cool, Simple, and Reasonable priced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=957TTByL0Ls
Reno, Nevada
BDTurnkeyEngines.Com
Old 05-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #193 (permalink)

Member # 9716
What do I need to do to get on the waiting list for a rtr 5.3
popafink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #194 (permalink)

Member # 101333
Send a message via AIM to mferrari
Here to a bump for the BD Turnkey! They powered our rig to a win in the RCrocs Comp this past weekend.

Wiring is simple and easy. We opted for a 5.3L with a Z06 cam, it certainly has more power than we'll need.

[B]Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engines - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts[/B]
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #195 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200451
Quote:
Originally Posted by popafink View Post
What do I need to do to get on the waiting list for a rtr 5.3
Reno, Nevada
BDTurnkeyEngines.Com
Old 05-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #196 (permalink)

Member # 69062
I'm in on a 5.3 to work along side my 4L60, Brian has been nothing but helpfull in answering all of my questions.

Cant beat a turn key assembly, with reliability, low mileage and someone that goes to the length he does to check out each engine he sells.

Cant wait for mine to be shipped.

Brian, I just emailed you to see if you will add a couple CAT's to my 5.3 engine package.
TecRsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #197 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200451
Quote:
Originally Posted by TecRsq View Post
Brian, I just emailed you to see if you will add a couple CAT's to my 5.3 engine package.
I emailed you back, but for everyone else; California law doesn't allow the wrecking yards to sell or include CAT's with engines. So I no longer get them or can provide.
Reno, Nevada
BDTurnkeyEngines.Com
Old 05-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #198 (permalink)

Member # 1176
you must come across some 4.3 Vortecs in your travels

ever thought of offering some...?

there is a market
Old 05-22-2012, 12:39 AM   #199 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 200451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post
you must come across some 4.3 Vortecs in your travels

ever thought of offering some...?

there is a market
They are available but not a market I want support. Keep in mind; the 4.3 is all cast iron and weighs about the same as the 4.8, 5.3, or 6.0. Even the 4.8 will probably make close to 100 HP more than the 4.3 and rev smoothly to 6k rpm. You just can't beat the modern design & EFI system of the GENIII and newer GM engines, its what 90% of people want.
Reno, Nevada
BDTurnkeyEngines.Com
Old 05-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #200 (permalink)

Member # 204049
Whats the best engine to cram into a 06 TJ
local15Rob is offline   Reply With Quote