Now offering 5 new propane kits!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor's Marketplace > Motor/Tranny/T-Case Performance
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2005, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30839
Now offering 5 new propane kits!!

We have added air cooled vw motors as well as a dual fuel kit for both v6 and v8 engines.

We also now do a limited amount of custom kits. We can make just about any motor you want to run -- run on propane! We can do anything from a Northstar, to a turbocharged Subaru WRX motor. You no longer need a wiring harness!

Last but not least, our Jeep 4.0 kit! It is now possible to do away with the wiring and still use a late model motor. This would be ideal for motorswaps and trucks with shorted or troublesome harnesses.

Check out our website at www.gotpropane.com

Bulletproof, complete propane kits for carbureted offroad and street vehicles.
Please visit our website for details or call with any questions. 480-430-8033

Free shipping on complete kits!

www.gotpropane.com

Check us out on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/gotpropane?
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 43823
Question

For a while I had been contemplating running with an EFI set up for lack of a better option. I have a few questions to see if I am actually going to be able to run with propane or not. And I am currently looking into two different options and would like as much information as possible to make the best decision.

1) Will my application comply with all smog regulations like C.A.R.B. and other agencies??

2) Will this set-up affect the year & requirements that my engine must be smogged under??

3) Will the propane set up provide the same amount of torque as in a gas engine??

4) Will I be able to run a dual fuel system??

5) Will it be better to run just one type of fuel??

6) Will you be able to help me with a propane fuel cell(s)??

7) Will the be any issues with corrosive exhaust gas streams eating up the heads, cats, etc.??

8) Will my application be able to compensate for changes like atmospheric conditions??

In addition to the answers to these questions, would you please give me a cost breakdown for a propane only application for a '76 AMC 360 and the Chevy 350; and also prices for a dual fuel application for the same previous engines. I thank you in advance for your time and attention to my inquiry. I am hoping we will be able to do business. I also have a couple of questions for you in regards to my potential purchase but would prefer to make this inquiry in a private forum. Thank you again!!
AZtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2005, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30839
1) I'll try to answer these the best I can. I'm not really sure exactly what the laws are in california. I don't have carb certification. I guess propane used to be exempt, but they changed that

2) Ditto

3) Propane is extremely torquey. Because of it's high octane, the timing can be advanced more , and the low end driveability is unmatched by carbs or E.F.I.

4) Yes, I do have dual- fuel kits for carbs that use the standard 5 1/8 air filters. They mount on top of the carb. They run a special mixer that is designed for dual fuel by bieng able to pull a cable which opens the guts up so as not to cause a huge restriction when on gas. Then you push it in, flick the switch to off to let the carb run out of gas, then flick the switch to propane and run on 'pane Which brings us to #5

5) Yes ,propane only is the best for maximum power. Because the equipment is mounted on top of the carb ,it causes some restriction. The mixer is smaller than I usually like to run on a v8. Also on propane only the timing can be highly advanced. On dual fuel, you can only go the max it will sustain on gasoline . If you were to set it to propane it would ping hard when switched to gasoline. It is a compromise. It was designed for the guy who needs the advantages of propane,just not all the time. Also for fuel consumption. No worries about running out 'cause the v8 ate it all

6) Are you in Az? Yes I can hook you up. If you're not, I can only ship new forklift tanks. Locally, I can usually find something

7) There are no corrosion issues on propane. You do want to have hardened valve seats though. Basically-any engine that runs on unleaded gas can run on propane with no side effects.

8) One of the coolest things about these systems is that it compensates for altitude. Not exactly sure about the crazy math but I know it works perfectly with no re-learn time Pretty sure it has to do with air density and atmospheric pressures.

The cost of these kits is around a grand for a complete kit. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you or anyone else has about these kits.
Thanks,
Cary

www.gotpropane.com

Old 03-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 43823
Thumbs up

Hey Cary!! Thanks for all the info!! I am out in A.J. east of Mesa. Where is your shop?? I'll hafta cruise over and chat with ya some. It'll gimme a chance to chat with you about the questions and stuff I had said would be better discussed in a private forum. And thanks for responding so quickly to my inquiries. Take it easy!!!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30839
I'm on the southwest corner of McKellips and Hayden. Same complex as Dick's speedo-tach

www.gotpropane.com

Old 03-30-2005, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 4699
Send a message via AIM to The urban wheeler
just wondering, how would a blown motor on nitrous act with a propane kit and could you run dual mixers?

'96 powerstroke built to tow
-Flextout Motorsports
-ECV 7-11 Pair-O-Dice
-Delta Psi Delta
The urban wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30839
It would run awesome. Supercharged motors love propane. Two mixers would be ideal.

www.gotpropane.com

Old 03-31-2005, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 10470
Send a message via AIM to DaGimp Send a message via Yahoo to DaGimp
Just a thought, I know you can inject a diesel motor with propane. But could you inject a Propane motor with Diesel for some extra go?
DaGimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 15372
Send a message via AIM to Slowerthanu
I talked to you a while ago about setting up a custom kit for the 2F in my 77 LandCruiser.

I have been busy with other things but I will be giving you a call in a few weeks with those carb mounting dimensions.

Dan Tubbs

"Just remember, you are unique............Just like everybody else!"
Slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 43823
Question

Cary ...

Can a TBI 350 be converted over to propane? And if so, at what cost?

Reason is that I found a REALLY good deal on a TBI 350, 700R4, and an NP241, just have to get it shipped out here. Would it help if I picked up a regular intake mainfold? I might even get lucky and find somebody who would want to trade their carb'd intake for my TBI set-up.

I am hoping to get over to your shop in the next couple weeks after I finish this semester. Thanks again for all the answers and direction.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30839
Yes, I have a used adapter so you can use your existing intake and throttle body. Just let me know. I'd be happy to show it to you

www.gotpropane.com

Old 04-23-2005, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 43823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane
Yes, I have a used adapter so you can use your existing intake and throttle body. Just let me know. I'd be happy to show it to you
So I CAN take advantage of this really good deal on the TBI 350 and get it to run on propane too!?! Not a bad dealio you got there Cary. I am going to try to stop by the shop this upcoming week. I'd like to see how this works out without a computer and harness. Gonna be rollin' sooner than I thought.

Last edited by AZtigger; 04-23-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 43823
In respone to PROPANE's post on 03-20-2005, 09:22 PM

1) and 2) OK ... what about getting me really squeeky clean to get above and beyond the AZ smog nazis? I'd like to push it to be as clean as possible. Would you find out what kind of equipment I need to pass for 1976?? I'll run twin cats to pass, or even with pre-cats if it'll help.

3) Torquey huh?! ... Sounds just like what I am lookin' for. With the HIGHER octane I don't have to worry about reducing the compression? It can be compensated by merely adjusting the timing?? BTW, how many BTUs are in a gallon of propane anyway???

4) Gonna skip this one altogether!

5) I am ignoring #4 and propane ONLY is my goal ... <insert"toolman"grunt> R RR RRR ... Maximum Pow-er!! Will there be less restriction with the TBI? What about the mixer ... is there a larger one that will work better with it?? Keeping the AZ smog regs in mind ... UGH!!

6) Only about a 1/2 hour or so away

7) Since a TBI 350 would have been running on unleaded it's whole life I guess this won't be an issue. I'm guessing that exhaust is exhaust so headers, an X or H-pipe, performance muffs, and formulated pipe size would work just as well here, yes?!

8) It's nice to know it takes care of itself and even better, NO COMPUTER!

$) I guess we'll go over that soon enough. Keep that adapter handy for my TBI. We will most likely need to chat about custom tanks too!

Thanks Cary!
Old 05-09-2005, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 42509
All right, I'm sick of my 1bbl. carb but I need to ask...

how's about a dual kit for an 84 Ford 4.9L I-6...
broncobuster37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30839
I only do propane only.
For those interested in what a conversion installation looks like, check out the august issue of OFF ROAD magazine. They did a write up on a 22r kit I installed.

www.gotpropane.com

Old 06-30-2005, 08:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
technical expert

Member # 8755
Send a message via AIM to Independent4x Send a message via MSN to Independent4x Send a message via Yahoo to Independent4x Send a message via Skype™ to Independent4x
can you PM me some pricing on parts for my trail rig.

currently running a Q-jet on a 1978 4 bolt main 350 w/ edlebrock intake.

thinking about propane as an option.

thanks.

UFWDA Life Member - http://www.ufwda.org/

Full Service Fabrication Shop & Retail Store located in Richmond, Va. for all your OffRoad needs: featuring Sway-A-Way, WARN, ARB/OME, AEV, Advance Adapters, TeraFlex, Trailready, Currie, QA1, Beard Seats, Interco Tire, D.O.M. Tube to length, etc. - call or PM
Independent4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 1930
how difficult would it be to fit the 4.0L jeep kit onto a 2.5L fool injected jeep. Any plans for a 2.5 set up?
YJ4RoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:06 AM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30839
The 4.0 is the same kit as the 2.5 I should put that on there. Thanks!

www.gotpropane.com

Old 07-02-2005, 10:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 667
I currently run dual fuel tanks on my Landcruiser with a carbed Chevy 350. I get about 400-450 miles before I need to fill up. If I switch to propane, what size of tank or tanks do I need to have to keep the same range? Space is at a premium in this rig.

What sizes do propane tanks come in? Are there squarish forklift propane tanks available?

Dave
Beanz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 33028
Big Block Ford

I'm looking to run a 460 ford, on pane only, but I have a few questions. Any idea how long a fork truck tank will last, while on the trail. Do you have a system to support something like this. Any good tips, or links, for building a propane big block? If I need a bigger tank, does it need to be set up for vapor, or liquid. Thanks in advance. Josh
XJon39s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30839
If it's used for offroad, I get better mileage than a carb. Sometimes twice as much because the 'pane never goes rich like a carb. On the street the rule is that 'pane is equal to 9/10ths of a gallon of gas. So a little loss.
I have done many big blocks with huge success. Monster torque numbers! As many of these kits that we sell, I never get complaints about power loss or anything else for that matter.
Tanks, Liquid pull is whats needed. V8 guys can look for used motorfuel tanks that are designed to be mounted permenantly in the truck. They come in all different sizes. There are no square propane tanks. All pressure vessels have to be round.

www.gotpropane.com

Old 08-02-2005, 03:12 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 30265
Mixer Size

What size mixer would you recommend for a 383 stroker approx 430 hp 460 ft lbs. torque.
tkap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:36 AM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 14437
Couple of others have asked about mileage but my rig is trail only so it's more about run time for me. I have a 4000 lb. buggy running a 350 with a mild cam. How much consecutive run time should I expect to get out of a 10 gal. tank. I'm trying to figure if this is a viable option for me over an injection system. One of my local trails is Dusy/Ershim (35 miles long, 2-3 days) and I'm trying to figure if 2 10 gal tanks would be enough to complete, espeacially since I wouldn't be able to borrow some fuel from a bud.

Last edited by freds40; 08-14-2005 at 05:02 PM.
freds40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 36861
ive got a carberated 350 dynoed at like 403 horse 450 ft lbs what would i cost me fer a complete set up, seriously interested, pm me with some numbers and how it would werk.
rightfootweasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:42 AM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30839
P.M. sent

www.gotpropane.com