Stupid NOOB enduro wheel question. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Motorcycles/ATVs
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hate keeps me warm

Member # 151139
Stupid NOOB enduro wheel question.

I am working on a 1976 Suzuki TS400 and it's tires are fried and the wheels are pretty trashed.

I would like to move to a more modern wheel but I don't know enough to make an intelligent selection or even ask an intelligent questions.

So here are my noob questions.

Is tha difference between a dirt bike wheel and an enduro wheel?

If I keep the wheel size the same, can I just pick another wheel?

What is a good tire for 50 / 50 ( 60 / 40) on road / off road?

What about brakes? Is there a way to modernize the brakes without going broke, or am I better just freshening up the brakes and hubs I have?

Like I said, I don't know enough to know what to ask. What else do I need to look for or think about?

I want to put something COOL together, but i am trying to balance it with a reasonable budget.

THANKS

Grumpy
And there ain't no good chain gang
Grumpy356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 124887
I used to have a TM400 and that thing was a beast. I will try to answer your questions from what I can remember about it.

Wheels - You should be able to re-lace the the hubs with new wheels. Excel probably makes replacement wheels. Depending on what paint scheme you have, black wheels would look really good.

Hubs - From what I can recall there is a difference between enduro and motocross wheels. Enduro wheels usually had a cush drive hub (rubber blocks in the hub that the sprocket attached to and took some shock out of the transmission when used on the street)

I would think that you would be into a big chunk of change if you were going to try and change from the drum brakes to disc brakes, you would have to get a whole new set of wheels and hubs. You can probably find some EBC brake shoes that will offer better stopping power.

Tires - I personally like Michelin tires.

Cool Factor - No matter what you decide to do with it, take your time putting it together. These are cool bikes because you don't see them around much anymore.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 140945
you MIGHT be able to swap on modern dirtbike front forks. That would get you a front disk brake, 21" wheel, and better suspension in the front. I'll bet you'd have to swap triples too which would require some research on your part. It is hard to say if you can lace up a modern wheel on the rear because it may have different spoke pitches that would "bind" the spokes. If it is a 17", 18" or 19" wheel there are plenty of modern tires for those sizes. I've heard lots of people recommend dunlop 606s for dirt/street use.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 215929
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jake- View Post
you MIGHT be able to swap on modern dirtbike front forks. That would get you a front disk brake, 21" wheel, and better suspension in the front. I'll bet you'd have to swap triples too which would require some research on your part. It is hard to say if you can lace up a modern wheel on the rear because it may have different spoke pitches that would "bind" the spokes. If it is a 17", 18" or 19" wheel there are plenty of modern tires for those sizes. I've heard lots of people recommend dunlop 606s for dirt/street use.
The d606 isnt a great tire, if you want a good d.o.t. Knobby then I would recommend the michelin ac-10, or for a 50/50 tire I suggest the IRC gp-110

A modern bike is going to have a fork length of around 30-31" where as his ts is probably around 23-24, which can be fixed with shorter springs, any forks that aren't conventional, and have the exact same upper tube length will make mounting his headlight impossible as a ts has metal sleeves that slip over the fork tubes.

A smaller modern child's bike like an xr80 maybe might be a close enough fit if you use the triple clamps too, and could find steering head bearings to work, but then you are still stuck with a 17" or 19" front wheel, and the length/diameters might be closer but the spring rate will l be for that of a much smaller/lighter bike, with a much lighter rider

I would call bucannon, get some new spokes and lace some new rim hoops to your stock hubs. If you wanted to change wheel sizes, this would be the time to do it because out won't cost anything extra, my '76 ts185 has 19" front and rear so I can run flat track tires on it. The point is you can do anything you want because bucannon can sell you a spoke kit for any size rim hoop to be laced onto your wheel

Last edited by B2-BOMBER; 04-09-2012 at 08:48 PM.
B2-BOMBER is offline   Reply With Quote