Looking for a dual sport - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Motorcycles/ATVs
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 66153
Looking for a dual sport

Been half assed looking for a used cheap dual sport to putt around town on and do some trial ridding. But nothing really pops up in my price range which is 2grand or less.

While surfing craigslist I had seen this http://austin.craigslist.org/mcd/2940166661.html
It's a 99 KLR 250 with 8k miles and the guy is asking 1900

Wanted to know if y'all think this is too much for that small of a bike?

I haven't rode a dirt bike since I was a teenager so that's why I might like to stick with a smaller bike. And possible get better mpg

Or what would y'all suggest for a good cheap starter bike?
F-TOY #36
Ricks72ntx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 66153
Or would trading the guy a extra Toyota I have be the better idea. It's a 2wd 94 4runner with 215k on it. leaks oil and looks like a 15 year old truck. Not bad but not great. What sucks is I have some great bfg a/t's on it that have 90% or better tread.
F-TOY #36
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123683
The price is about right I'd think, assuming it's in good condition and ready to ride. It's no race bike though, it'll struggle on the highway. I was in buffalo Texas a few months ago and the roads there were all straight and flat, with speeds in the 70's most of the time. Assuming your area is like that I would look for something a bit bigger than a 250.

If you don't plan on spending a lot of time above, say, 60 or 65 mph then you'll be fine with a klr 250. I've only sat on them and talked to people that owned them, but they seem to be a pretty good dual sport bike from what I've heard.

Get on www.advrider.com and look around in the thumper section. There's more information there that you'll ever want to know.
Jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 66153
I don't see myself ridding it on the interstate and for the time being I'd keep it below 60.

Might just do the trade. The way bikes are selling hopefully I could sell it later on if I find out I need a bigger bike
F-TOY #36
Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 80664
I'd trade in the Toyota for that bike and then upgrade to something bigger down the road. The 250cc would be great to learn on then maybe looking into something larger. Good luck
Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9233
KLR250s aren't a bad bike for around the town and some trail riding. It is a little heavy and under powered to do much more than that.
Probably get 50 mpg if you are looking for something for milage.

Cons- most enduro tires will last under 2000 miles.
This is an older liquid cooled machine so there may be issues with the cooling system.

For an enduro, I think I would look at either a KLR 650 (still very heavy) but a great on road bike and able to live for many miles.
My favorite would be Honda. XR250-650L would be great bikes if not beaten by POs. Simple, reliable air cooled engine. Newer 650Ls have electric start but loose kick starter.
Not sure if this helps
woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 66153
All discussion helps. My brother had a XR400 with a baja design street kit but sold it after breaking his neck and back in a motocross crash. I always liked that bike and may do something like that later down the road but for now I think just getting a bike and some seat time on it is where I need to start.

Still have a lot of reading to do.
F-TOY #36
Old 04-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 9233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricks72ntx View Post
All discussion helps. My brother had a XR400 with a baja design street kit but sold it after breaking his neck and back in a motocross crash. I always liked that bike and may do something like that later down the road but for now I think just getting a bike and some seat time on it is where I need to start.

Still have a lot of reading to do.
Sorry to hear about your brother. Hope all is well with him

I have been riding a XR400r in the dirt for over 12 years and have been very happy with it but I think it may be a little under powered for alot of hwy riding or would need to gear it up to where it maybe a compromise on the dirt some
woods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 66153
Haha he's fine, should have said he did it a year and a half ago. He wants to get back into ridding and I think he knows his MX days are done. So that's also why I'd like bike to start learning on. He's made trips out to big bend in west Texas and from the pictures he took it looks like it would be fun to make trips like that.

Maybe not on such a small bike as the 250, and I've read the seat sucks for long trips too
F-TOY #36

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.