getting my son a bike- Yamaha TTR50, PW50, or Honda CRF 50 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Motorcycles/ATVs
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 25622
getting my son a bike- Yamaha TTR50, PW50, or Honda CRF 50

Looking to get my son a bike in the next couple months. He will be 4 in October, and so isnt the biggest kid yet.

We checked out the Honda and Yamaha 50's today. The shop didnt have a PW 50, so we could not check those out.

Though we didnt get to sit on a pw 50 today, I am leaning toward this bike. They havent changed much in 20 years ( for better or worse, but its a solid bike to learn on ). And so, though I would prefer to get the PW 50, the newer ones are apparently red sticker only- we live in California, and dont have our own land to ride on. Only a couple tracks less than 3 hours away. Its feeling like a deal breaker for this bike. I need to make the decision about if this bike is even an option...

Some questions.. Does Honda still make the XR 50? Is the new CFR 50 basically the old XR 50?

I like the idea of an electric start, and the Yamaha has this. Hes a little kid, and kicking the bike over will be tough for him. Though I will always be with him to start the bike. The downside is the Yamaha is 15 pounds heavier than the Honda. Any opinions on the electric start?

Any opinons of the Honda over the Yamaha. I have mostly had Yamahas my life and so am biased toward that brand. But these bikes seem very similar to me except for the starter.

I will be putting training wheels on the bike. His feet were about 8 inches off the ground when sitting on the Honda and Yamaha.

I plan on buying a used bike for him.

I havent had a chance yet to look at the Chineese bikes. Going to start hunting around there next.

Any insite into this area is appreciated.

thanks!
Dustin
Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
KSL
Granite Guru

Member # 5200
I would go with the Honda but I do like the electric start of the Yamaha. My son has been able to kick his CRF 50 over since just before he turned 6 (as long as he remembered neutral). CRF and XR are the same bike with updated plastic. 15lbs is a lot once he is off training wheels.

My advice is to let the air out of the training wheel tires and get the biggest back tire you can fit on it. These bikes get high centered on the training wheels very easy in soft, uneven terrain and walking 50yrds to get him unstuck just to have him stuck 50yrds later gets old fast.

Also have lots of patience and do not push him. My kids bike sat for a year because I pushed him too hard trying to get him off training wheels.

The user formally known as It'll fit
New name...same great flavor

I own too much crap....
KSL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Honda.

I was suprised to see you can buy a very nice XR50/80/10 and CRF50 for less than a fucking Briggs minibike. $600-$800 will get you some really nice equipment.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 62699
I bought my son a PW50 when he was 3. It had training wheels on it starting out. The PW50 is a great starter bike. It is cheap to fix and doesn't have alot of get up out the gate. They arent snappy bikes. Dont get me wrong they get up to speed fast but it is more of a controled speed. The PW50 is lower to the ground too. The only thing that is bad about them is the rear brake is on the handle bar.
That being said. My son is 5 now and the PW50 was getting to small for him. So I sold it and bought him a CRF50 now. It took a long time for him to get used to the rear brake being by his foot. He fell alot on that one.lol. He grabed the front brake alot. The CRF50 has a ton of torque in first. I start him out in second and he takes off fine. The CRF50 is alot heavier then the Pw50. I have some friends that started their kids out on the Honda's and it worked out ok.
There is ups and downs for both bikes. The PW50 is alot cheaper then the CRF50. So thats why I went to the PW50 first. Knowing my kid would beat the hell out of it. so went cheapest first. Then spent the money on the CRF50. Also if you plan on your son racing then the CRF50 will be in your future either way. There isnt alot of aftermarket parts for the PW50. The CRF50 has alot.
get r done is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 119455
Have you checked out any of the KTM's I know they are pretty big into kids bikes. Looks like they are pretty light as well 88 lbs vs the CRF50 at 110 lbs. Same seat height too. The downside is that they are 2-stroke which isn't that bad if you don't mind mixing gas.
http://www.ktm.com/us/mx/50-sx-mini.html

Team Beat Racing Member.......... RIP Bubby, sure going to miss him.
Member Name:.............Mr. Beat!

"Your doing the *&%$ dance" Bobson.

http://www.holycrosspowderhounds.com/
offroadmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 25622
Thanks everyone!
@KSL- Great advice about the training wheels part. And patience part. I know it will be tough to not push him from time to time. Last thing I want to do is scare him off the bike. He's pretty tough and tenacious, but like most 3 year olds can also be stubborn. I am not sure where he gets that from .

Right now, my biggest concern is making sure I don't get him a bike he's afraid of. That is a lot of why the seat hight is a concern to me. So the PW is interesting. He doesn't need fast or big suspension yet. Lighter the better. If he grows out of the bike in a year, I'l be stoked

I did check out the KTM's- but they are a bit more coin- about $300 more than a Honda or Yamaha. I would love to get him bling'n bike, but will save that for bike 2.0 or 3.0. But yeah, bikes in general are cheaper than I expected.

cheers!
Dustin
Old 04-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 170062
Go blue!
1BMFK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 1418
Get the PW50, they are a way better bike for small kids to learn on.

I would NOT do training wheels on a minibike at all...... Training wheels are bad!!

Get him a Strider "type" bike to learn balance on and then let him ride the pw50 when he can hold himself up on it

**Forget buying a new redsticker PW ...... find an older green stickerd on

strider bike

Last edited by Kyron; 04-16-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: pic
Kyron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Discount!

Member # 156
Send a message via ICQ to dog walker
Id go with a used PW50, they are cheap and easy to find. They are the smallest of the mentioned bikes, which is good if he is really small.
83 Toyota 4x4 LB
04 UJZ100
dog walker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 205023
Honda.

We have 7 in the family, wouldn't consider anything else.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 175675
My vote, Honda, my boy could ride a bike but could not hold up either the honda or the pw. hold him up let him go, catch him when he comes back. he will grow so fast it won't matter, trust me, my twelve year old is on a 250 now, and I under estimated him on EVERY bike, I think value on a Honda is better, but they are both great little bikes.
go to the specs, and look at seat height. I agree no training wheels, and It would be best if your boy could ride a bike without training wheels first, He would have the balance all figured out. Just my thoughts???
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 45239
i bought my son a 06 TTr50E in 09 with training wheels when he was 2yrs and 1mo old and he LOVES it to this day he well be 5 next month so he has had it almost 3 years holly shit time has flew by can just touch now but i will leave them on for a while longer. the training wheels are pretty bend from adults havein one to many and ridin around on it so hes pretty much learned to balace himself which has helped in the loos soft stuff as it gets stuck much less now. we made a track in the back as i bought a 2011 ttr125 for me and the wife. he (we) could spend all day out there going round and round he has some MX dvds and after watchin them we build a small roller "jump" now when he goes over it he does "tricks" mainly jumps off seat for second lol. electric start is awesome we have frinds with kick start 50s for there sons F that lol my son kicks his in N flicks the button and rides off all on his own. no matter what you get DONT push to hard ours sat for couple months after a crash were the exhaust burnt him (bikes exhaust is now wrapped ) but he got over it.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...ids-buggy.html
www.KJMmotorsports.com
camarokid94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 2375
Honda, cause when he outgrows it you can have a fun pit bike to play with.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 25622
I pulled the trigger today on an '04 cfr50. The bike is in great shape. I am the third owner. *They say* the tires on it are stock, and they aren't very worn. The people I bought the bike from seemed like good, honest people, so hopefully it's true. Plastics and all are in excellent shape. All stock. They threw in some gear too.

So, now I've just got to get some training wheels since my kid can't touch the ground yet. Then we're off!

My son is stoked. I am probably 10 times more stoked than him.

Can't wait to get him out riding.

cheers!
Dustin
Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
KSL
Granite Guru

Member # 5200
The stock tires will "work" with the training wheels on smooth hard pack but you will probably want a new rear for anything else. The stock tires tread pattern sucks for grip on anything but pavement. I strongly recommend other tires once the training wheels come off even if they look brand new. Get the widest front you can find, I would almost recommend putting a rear up front if you ride loose terrain. I know it sounds wrong but the wide profile helps keep the front from knifing in and these little guys can use all the help they can get.

Start saving for the 70 because the time will come faster than you know.

I own too much crap....
Old 05-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockzar View Post
I pulled the trigger today on an '04 cfr50. The bike is in great shape. I am the third owner. *They say* the tires on it are stock, and they aren't very worn. The people I bought the bike from seemed like good, honest people, so hopefully it's true. Plastics and all are in excellent shape. All stock. They threw in some gear too.

So, now I've just got to get some training wheels since my kid can't touch the ground yet. Then we're off!

My son is stoked. I am probably 10 times more stoked than him.

Can't wait to get him out riding.

cheers!
Dustin
Just realized your in HMB ...... I used to ride past Corral reef I grew up in Pacifica

Dont push your son to fast, make sure hes having fun.

What do you ride?

I bought a XR100 so I could ride with my kids, it was one of my best purchase's ever
Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 25622
Definitely don't want to scare him off the bike. I don't have a bike right now, and am shopping bikes for myself. Torn right now since I know I need to get a dirt bike, but REALLY want to get an old cafe racer or something retro/ new like a Bonneville T100. I am pretty sure I'll end up with a plated four banger of some sort.

cheers-
Dustin
Old 05-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
KSL
Granite Guru

Member # 5200
If you don't have a group you ride with than I agree with Kyron. A crf100 or better yet a crf150f would be a better investment than a big bike. Our group has about 10 people with little bikes along with the big bikes and we find ourselves on more little bike rides than big moto rides. Plus the little bikes match speed better with the mini. I hate riding my 450 with the 50. 2nd gear idle is faster than the 50 in 3rd.

I own too much crap....
Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 25622
@KSL- these are good points about the bike... I almost looked at another bike where the owner was also selling a 90cc quad, and could have gotten both for a good deal. i was thinking it would be a good extra bike for me or his friends to ride.

Maybe I'll get something small to put around on until hes a little older. Maybe even a trail 90. Hmmm..
Old 05-09-2012, 03:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 215941
Yamaha ttr 50 hands down best choice. My kids have went thru a set of tires on the trimming wheels and working on 2nd set. But it just sits now after I bought 2 I'd them 180 Polaris razors. Those are the best choice ride for kids of about any age, plus their friends get to strap in and ride with them. So I guess I have a ttr 50 for sale come to think of it.
Scott Coxwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 189986
Those are all great bikes. My son started on a pw50 at 5. I would buy used and get whatever you find the best deal on. I've also owned the crf 70 and 100. Great bikes that have pretty good resale.
jeff76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #22 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123683
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSL View Post
Start saving for the 70 because the time will come faster than you know.
A friend went to BBR motorsport's website, and kept ordering stuff for the 50 as the kid grew. The bikes have a huge aftermarket support, and can be made to run with the bigger bikes.

I just did some quick pricing to give an idea of what is available. All is through BBR, I've been very immersed with their products on my TTR125 and am partial to them. Here's a list of what I personally would do to the bike as the kid grew and skills improved. There is much more available, but prices can get high.

http://www.bbrmotorsports.com/Products/Products.aspx

88cc big bore kit- $199
Stiffer fork springs- $39.95
8" rise handlebar kit- $199
Heavy duty shock spring- $49.95
Full exhaust- $269.95
Skid plate- $79.95

Total would probably be around $1000 after the little stuff like carb jets, fork oil, etc. However the bike will grow in stages, and your kid will not have to re-learn a whole new bike. By the time my imaginary bike is outgrown the kid will be ready to skip the 70cc class and move up to something along the lines of an xr100 or ttr125. The bikes are bulletproof, and odds are you can have this thing the rest of your life if you chose to.

Last edited by Jules083; 05-15-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 88396
Another vote for honda. I purchased a new crf 50 about a month ago for.......ME! i had a 2001 model as well, they are the same bike minus plastics. I did put bigger bars on mine to reduce the sketchyness of riding such a small bike. Heck, id say the most reliable thing ive ever owned was a honda 50.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 25622
yeah man!
Have had the CFR 50 for a month or more now. My son is STOKED! He talks about the bike all the time. He and his friends go to the garage and play on it. Went riding today, hes getting a lot better. Can use the brakes now.

The training wheels are a little ghetto, but work great for him I guess. The ones I got are an axle ( 1/2" solid rod ) with two square posts welded to them. You remove the foot pegs and slide the posts into the peg mounts, and then move the pegs onto the square posts. Its not bad really, but the whole time he's riding I think about them breaking off.. I would have bolted the axles to the bottom of the motor, replacing the pegs with the axle, but oh well. It was a $40.00 part that is working well so far.

I've been keeping him in first gear and opening up the throttle as he gets better. Its near wide open now, but he's riding in first gear. Not too eager to show him how to shift yet.

He's been mostly riding in an open field, but we took the bike to a more track like place/ river bed a week ago. Ditches, hills, loose gravel, rocks, etc. It was tough for him with the throttle limited, training wheels, etc. He ate it hard once ( within 30 seconds of him starting that day ), and got to appreciate the on / off action the throttle should do vs always wide open in the field.

Anyway, he's hooked!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 13156
I was in your spot a few years ago. Kept wondering when to teach my son to shift into second and when to stop screwing with the throttle stop. Looking back - don't adjust the throttle in 1 gear. Keep the throttle governed and teach him to shift to the next gear. You are teaching him that pinning a bike wide open is okay. When he gets something bigger, he will pin it in every gear because he is used to hearing the bike scream.

It took me a while when my son went to 2 strokes to get him to manage the throttle in conjunction with the gearing to get the speed he wants.

You want something that will make your heart skip? Buy your son a KX65 (from a CRF50), teach him the clutch, and then watch him get it rolling without killing it. Then watch him ride pinned in 1st thru 3rd! Carried the front wheel for about 15 feet on his first to second shift. Scared the crap out of us both! LOL Didn't take long to correct his mistakes (really mine) but every once in a while I will catch him really rapping it out and using the motor to slow down.

The other thing that you should really harp on is rider position. I know that he is young but it is one of the most important lessons that if you teach it to them from the time they start riding, makes for less of a hassle later on.

It is awesome to be totally exhausted and seeing the grin on his face when we get done riding or racing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.