Moto trailer tie downs - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Motorcycles/ATVs
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 04:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Moto trailer tie downs

So I'm getting rid of my jeep. And going moto for now. I'm keeping my flat deck trailer. How do you guys tie down bikes on your flat bed trailers?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
just talking dirt bikes? Couple of pull straps to the front and rear, and go.

Street bikes. Use a wheel chock like a Pingel http://www.pingelonline.com/wheel_chocks.htm Simple and easy. Keeps the front wheel in place so you can add straps. Removes quickly and flush mount so you can still use the trailer. Ratchet strap all 4 corners with GOOD straps.

Or you can go bad ass and get these: http://store.condor-lift.com/

Bunch of options.

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 13467
I've used the condor brand before. It works well.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Basically dirt bikes. Nothing on the front to pull against really. I guess I'll figure something out.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
Basically dirt bikes. Nothing on the front to pull against really. I guess I'll figure something out.
Then a wheel chock, like I mentioned earlier, and some eyelits to put straps. You should be good.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 82644
I like the wheel chocks. But I'm cheap. I can get 1.5 tube for $14. I have a bender. I want to make something for the front of the trailer. I'll come up with something. also how far apart should the straps be side to side?

trailer is 80" wide and I need 3 bikes on it side to side. I may need to stagger them a little so the bars don't hit.

Last edited by hadfield4wd; 06-28-2012 at 11:06 AM.
hadfield4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
You can get them cheap. Quick search and Ebay has them for $15 shipped http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-Inch-Mot...e6b7dc&vxp=mtr

Build something simular is fine too. The idea is to just keep the ft tire stationary.

As far as strap width: The wider the better for stability, but for the most part as long as you are outside the handle bar, you are good. I like to have a little angle to mine, so if you strap the handle bar at the curve (near the forks) and tie down outside the bar end width area, you will be good.

80" wide trailer: if you put one in forward, one backward, one forward one back, you can probably get 4 side by side. All forward middle one staggered back so the bars don't hit, 3 should still fit nice.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 1418
I put a rail on down the side of my trailer to strap dirtbikes to.

I then put a piece of 2x10 on top of that and made a bench so I have some place to sit while I get changed

I put the rail "out" far enough so its past the wheel-well of the trailer so I didnt lose any deck width

I'll see if I can find any pictures .........

** edit, you have to tie the rear wheel down when mounting the bikes sideways... otherwise the rear tire will slide and then the bike falls over.

Last edited by Kyron; 07-01-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Kyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 46168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
trailer is 80" wide and I need 3 bikes on it side to side. I may need to stagger them a little so the bars don't hit.
Back the center one in. I moved 3 'tards to a track day with plenty of room to have fit 3 full size bikes versus the 2 full sizes and the mini I had.

93 D250 Ext. cab, short bed - NV4500, h2 wheels, GM Hydro-boost, on board air, 4-linked/bagged.
02 Xterra
gots_a_sol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 3239
Send a message via AIM to Brad Send a message via Yahoo to Brad
I had to get my bike strapped down to a friends trailer going perpendicular to the deck. I just made a piece that slid down into the stake pocket and came up to above the centerline of the tire and use a C channel to hold the tire from moving side to side.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ebs

Member # 20043
I've been impressed with this setup, a few guys I ride with ended up getting them for their pickups. Locks down on the pegs, no straps needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Risk-Racing-Lo.../dp/B004OJT3QK
Ebs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 71185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebs View Post
I've been impressed with this setup, a few guys I ride with ended up getting them for their pickups. Locks down on the pegs, no straps needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Risk-Racing-Lo.../dp/B004OJT3QK
When I had a bike we did something similar, we used a stand to set the bike on and used a couple of turnbuckles going down to D rings we mounted on the trailer floor. You just set the bike on the stand and hooked the turnbuckles to the footpegs and D rings and hand tightened them, took about half the time as strapping them down and we never had a bike move, if it was a long trip we would hook a bungie cord between the turnbuckles so they couldn't spin loose.

Granted this was an enclosed trailer but I would have no issues on an open one.
brewchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 6815
Kyrons trailer is sweet! Also used these things on another guys trailer on our trip to moab, they are super quick and hold the bikes well, no straps needed. http://www.discountramps.com/dirt-bike-wheel-shoe.htm
Old 07-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 147348
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAZYj View Post
Kyrons trailer is sweet! Also used these things on another guys trailer on our trip to moab, they are super quick and hold the bikes well, no straps needed. http://www.discountramps.com/dirt-bike-wheel-shoe.htm
i have the pit posse ones and they kick ass, no straps and no leaking forks.
CarterKaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 82644
This is what we did.

Just a piece of 3" angle welded to the trailer at a slight angle. Worked great. We had a strap pulling each bike forwards into the angle.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 82644
So I sold that trailer because it was too heavy, didn't need a 10k capacity trailer for that load. I'm on the lookout for another lighter weight trailer. I really need an 18' due to needing basically 3 bikes and 3 quads on it. However I've seen people "stack" quads on their rears. How is this done? Is it safe/ok to do? I can get deals on 16' trailers, not 18' ones.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 3007
I have used this for many bikes and would recommend it to anyone. I use a seal saver between the tire/lower triple on dirty bikes and off I go.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-96349.html

Bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 82644
So I got a new trailer a couple months ago. I have been working out the tie down situation. It's 18". I have had bikes and quads on it in different configurations. I can basically get 4 bikes and 3 quads on.

Here is what we did yesterday.

And a couple weeks ago with 2 bikes and 3 quads.

Here is what I am using for a wheel chock. I really like them. YOu can put the bike in then let go to tie down. ebay $35ish dollars.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 3236
We have never bothered with chocks or anything because the trailer we use mostly for big trips gets used for a lot of different uses; generally the adult sized bikes get a cam style strap ran around the round mounting points for the rub rail, then through the rear wheel and then pull forward with ratchet straps from the handlebars/triples.

Depending upon where we are going and the length of time we are spending anywhere from 5 bikes and 5 quads between the a flatbed truck and trailer (bottom picture) to 5 bikes, 2 quads, a water cube, 200 litres of fuel and a pallet of batteries to drop off on the way (top picture):
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 85771
never messed with chocks since the trailer is used to haul the Jeep too. I do like the system that doesn't require straps though. That's slicker than shit.