Lithium Ferrous Batteries - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Motorcycles/ATVs
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13467
Lithium Ferrous Batteries

Is anyone running a lithium ferrous (LiFePO4) battery? My brother brought them to my attention over the weekend. He recently put one on his 4-wheeler and one on his diesel gator. Specifically, he has the AM22-01 from Alien Motion. He said he chose it over the alternative from Ballistic because it was cheaper AND more powerful. So I'm really thinking about one of these for my 4-wheeler, my bike, maybe even my 40 horse 2 stroke. They are super light and claim 650 cranking amps for the big one. It really sounds too good to be true. My biggest concern is longevity.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
They are not much more than a sealed batt for something like an ATV. Quick charge time, high amp output, looks interesting.

Longevity and reliability would be my question

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 82644
They don't last as long as an AGM battery. My buddy has one. He likes them on his CRF450X. Saves a couple of pounds. But pretty much buys a new one every year. Battery tender is a must.

The only reason I would do one is for wieght. On ATV's and sxs's its not an advantage. On a dirt bike every pound will help.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 13467
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
They don't last as long as an AGM battery. My buddy has one. He likes them on his CRF450X. Saves a couple of pounds. But pretty much buys a new one every year. Battery tender is a must.

The only reason I would do one is for wieght. On ATV's and sxs's its not an advantage. On a dirt bike every pound will help.
That's what I was afraid of.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 86724
everything lithium needs to be taken care of very meticulously, or it will have shit life.

That means fancy electronic chargers and balancing cells and all kinds of shit that the average guy isn't going to do for a dirtbike or four wheeler.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 157940
After entirely too much reading on the subject, I recently purchased a LiFePo4 battery from Antigravity Antigravity Batteries- The lightest, smallest and most powerful Lithium-Ion Motorcycld Batteries I needed a new battery anyway, and though my AGM had performed sufficiently over it's 4 year life span, I wanted to see what the hype was about and if I could drop a chunk of weight off my dual sport in the process, I was for it. It wasn't cheap, but I've wasted more money on other gimmicky crap before, as well as spending similar amounts on things like tires that only lasted 1 ride so this was worth a try.

I can't report on long term durability, but I can say that it spins my bike significantly faster than ever before and weighs 6-7lbs less than the original AGM. I went with an OEM case size with 12 cells instead of the recommended 8 cell just to have more reserve power, I could have gone with the small case 8 cell and been ~1/2lb lighter still and had enough extra room in the battery compartment to store a spare inner tube or the like.

If you have several hours to kill read this: What kind of battery for adventuring, is Lithium up to the challenge? - ADVrider to see REAL performance figures of various Lithium motorsports batteries as opposed to what the manufacturer's rate them at.
The letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
OFG
Wheeler

Member # 227573
I had a TurnTech battery in one of my dirt bikes for a couple of years. When I sold the bike, it was still going strong. I never had a problem with it going dead, even after it sat for months, and I never had to use a battery tender. In fact, the FAQ on their website specifically says NOT to leave it on a battery tender for long periods of time.
OFG is offline   Reply With Quote