Ok, yet more Quad qestions... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Motorcycles/ATVs
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2001, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 717
Send a message via ICQ to Desert Jeepin Send a message via AIM to Desert Jeepin Send a message via Yahoo to Desert Jeepin
Arrow Ok, yet more Quad qestions...

Ok, Now I'm in the market (Christmas Bonus Time I Hope). So, what I'm looking at would include the 400EX, 300EX (Why bother for just a few dollars differance?) and their equivalents, the Yamaha Banshee I think was on the list. There is a used Raptor. I want to spend really no more than $4k. So anything within range of that.

I used to ride dirtbike, but last year, wait year before last or so I was at Pismo and rented some little under powered thing, oh, it was a breaze, so anyhow, I was thinking, with all this downtime with the YJ, and now I have a truck I could just toss it in, and tag along, and what not.

Riding to include Pismo (Oceano), Trails, Rubicon maybe? Moab maybe? Just basic all aournd type stuff. Hammers are a for sure spot to ride.
Spotter, Team Raffle F-Toy, #50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampas View Post
wait... hold the homophone... you're ghey?

Last edited by Desert Jeepin; 11-30-2001 at 05:58 PM.
Desert Jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2001, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
UTVGuide.net

Member # 2787
Speaking of Oceano Dunes, did you see the latest news:

UPDATED - 11/30/01

It's Official!

Sierra Club and Environmental Defense Center

Filed a Lawsuit against the State Parks today 11/30/01!

The SC/EDC filed a lawsuit today in Southern California against the California State Parks concerning the Oceano Dunes SVRA.

www.oceanodunes.org for more information

Crowdog
Old 12-01-2001, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 324
a banshee would not be any fun on the rubicon
Old 12-03-2001, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7858
I have a raptor and its an awesome quad. The banshee is pretty much dune only. Its power is to touchy for trails. The 400ex is a good quad and if you only have $4000 to spend go for it. If you do spend more get a raptor it has reverse and is liquid cooled.
Old 12-03-2001, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 717
Send a message via ICQ to Desert Jeepin Send a message via AIM to Desert Jeepin Send a message via Yahoo to Desert Jeepin
More about the Raptor

So it is less touchy than a Banshee? How about it's torque curve, can it be ridden NOT-FULL-THROTTLE?

Quote:
Old 12-03-2001, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6002
Send a message via ICQ to Toy 4Runner Man Send a message via AIM to Toy 4Runner Man
Quote:
Originally posted by 79k20
I have a raptor and its an awesome quad. The banshee is pretty much dune only. Its power is to touchy for trails. The 400ex is a good quad and if you only have $4000 to spend go for it. If you do spend more get a raptor it has reverse and is liquid cooled.
For the dunes, the Banshee or Raptor.
For the trails, The TRX400EX, or the Raptor
For the Rubicon, The TRX400 or the Raptor
For realiabilty, The TRX400
For speed, the Banshee, or the Raptor
Tobe able to ride anywhere, any time, the TRX400( the only one with the green sticker)

All three are awesome quads, I prefer the Honda for the trail riding I do. The Raptor tends to be too tall, and too narrow for the trails, they don't like to turn as easy as the Honda. The Banshee would need too much clutch work for me.

For a couple hundred dollars, the Honda can really wake up, and be almost unbeatable!

I wouldn't suggest getting the first year Raptor, Yahama has done a number of modifcations to the second year Raptor, to fix known problems.

I would suggest U look into the red vs green sticker for the areas you ride in. This would make the difference.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 717
IN all honesty, I hadn't really even considered "Stickering" it. I guess for the more populated areas, it might actually matter.

So what's the Difference between Red and Green stickered use?

Quote:
Old 12-04-2001, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 7858
I actually had a banshee and sold it to get a raptor. You can ride the banshee at any speed you want and you can tell it just wants to go faster. The fact that it was a 2 stroke is what turned me away from it. I had to rebuild it twice and only owned it a 1 1/2 years. And since its a twin cylinder: twice the work and twice the price to rebuild.

The first year raptor (2001) had a gap in gearing between 1st and 2nd gear and a rear shock that might puke out its oil. These have both been fixed for 2002. Like Toy 4Runner Man said the raptor is tall and narrow. I added +2 A arms and a +4 axle and that made a ton of difference.

It sounds like the 400ex would be a excellent quad for you. I have a couple of friends that own them and they are relatively cheap, reliable, and have decent power.

And whats all this talk about red and green stickers?
Old 12-04-2001, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 324
the sickers are a california thing, it has to do with pollution
Old 12-05-2001, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 363
Watching a 2wd quad go thru the rubicon is pretty funny. I've tried it on a modified 250x and turned around after about 200 yds. Yes its possible, but you'll beat the livin crap out of it.
My skid plates look like i've been thru the baja 2000.

For most hardcore 4wd trails, you really need a 4 stroke 4wd quad.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 13
Send a message via ICQ to Loco Send a message via AIM to Loco Send a message via Yahoo to Loco
Raptor on Rubicon=No fun

i've rode a raptor to spider lake and i'll tell you it is not very fun at all. Also basically any 4 stroke engine in CAlifornia is a green sticker. So my Raptor has a green sticker so I can ride where ever is open any time.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 2743
Warrior?

Don't forget the Yamaha Warrior. It's cheaper than all the quads you listed , other than the 300ex. Plus, it has reverse, unlike the 400ex. Overall, I'd get the Raptor, but finding one under $4K may be difficult and some of the early one's had tranny problems.
bwright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2001, 02:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 8055
Send a message via AIM to Phikap
Warriors are gay. It is such an old, outdated motor and chassis. Its ok, but nothing special. Banshees are great for wide open spaces, but for trails they are tonz of work. The handlebars barely turn more than on a dirtbike, so you have to do all your turning by sliding out, which isn't at all hard on a banshee, unless your in a tight situation with rocks and such. The raptor is ok. Its a pretty powerful motor and is faster than the 400ex, but in trails, the 400ex blows the raptor away, because it can handle. When I say the 400ex can handle, I mean it can handle, like none other. Honda puts way more work into designing a perfect machine than anyone else. I would rather a 300ex than a raptor, because the 300 has the perfect powerband, perfect balance, and just feels way better. I would put money down saying that I could smoke a raptor in the woods with a 300ex. Yamaha also doesn't make stuff as bullet proof as honda. You will definitely be spending more money on repairs for a yamaha than a honda. Having owned many of both brands of machines, I can say for a fact that Yamaha doesn't pay attention to the little details and very quickly will small things break, and then stuff will start snowballing. Honda pays attention to even the tiniest details. They're good! If your in MA, I will hook you up with a ride on both quads. After riding them both, you will definitely chose the Honda. Even though it doesn't have the top speed that the raptor does, you will be able to go faster on the Honda, other than in a drag race on flat ground. My best friend has a raptor for sale, but you don't want to buy it. Its beat to hell. He sold his 400ex to get it because he was pissed that the raptor was faster. He liked it for like a week, and has had it about 3 months and wants to get rid of it already. Mark, aka "burnout king" is one of the best riders in the area, but beats machines like its his job. The honda takes his severe abuse, but the raptor just couldnt take it.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 145
Send a message via Yahoo to Josh
So this is gay?????

Here's a pic of my warrior with Timmyboy +1+2 A Arms, works shocks, Powroll 430cc kit, 38mm mikuni, high rev cam, Ti valave springs, and the list goes on. When I pull up at the dunes people ask what the hell is that thing??? I've raced several 440ex's and beat them all. I know alot has to do with the rider but it also depends on how you built it. I didn't spend a ton of money and mine flat hauls.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2001, 12:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 145
Here's another view

This is another view of it.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2001, 02:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 1044
green vs red

Green sticker you can ride anytime but the red sticker limits you to a few months( Idon't remember which ones,but I think it was spring and summer).Also some Raptors are red stickered...The only two in my area have red.....
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2001, 07:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 8055
Send a message via AIM to Phikap
Sorry Josh! That looks like a pretty nasty machine. If you know what your doing, like it seems you do, you can make just about anything sick. If you were ripping around on your quad, and then hopped on a stock warrior, would you not think that it was gay?
Old 12-12-2001, 10:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 145
Yeah, I know what your saying. Especially with those dumbo eared front fenders they have. I used to have a tricked out LT500 but the wife couldn't kick it over or ride it so I traded it in on this warrior and then went to town on it. Don't get me wrong it's not the best there is but it sure moves!!! I will soon be giving this one to my wife and I will be getting a different model, haven't decided on what yet.
Old 12-15-2001, 06:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
UTVGuide.net

Member # 2787
Stock Warrior = Lead Sled

If you wan't sand only, get a Banshee.
Best all round is a Honda 400EX.

Here is some info on Red vs. Green sticker for California:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/ofhwymc.htm

Crowdog
www.crowley-offroad.com
Crowdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.