KFX/EX/Z 400....preference? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Motorcycles/ATVs
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 40587
KFX/EX/Z 400....preference?

Title pretty much says it all, i'm in the market for a KFX 400, 400EX, or the Z400. Does one really stand out ahead of the other? I notice the honda is still using a air cooled engine but other than that they seem to be pretty much the same. I'm well aware of hondas reliablity but which one has the most grunt etc..? I'm in the market for one and i'm kinda undecided due to the lack of good input.
The Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2005, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2642
Send a message via ICQ to one eye
I have a KFX 400 and it is fun to ride, with a pipe and jet kit it moves pritty good. I have had a banchee and a 250R to compair.
lots of other stuff that took way to long to do.:smokin:
one eye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2005, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 28913
well then you really only have two viable options, the KFX 400 and the Z 400 are the exact same bike with the exception of the plastic color. Suzuki makes the KFX, Me I have a 2004 z 400 and I will say I love it great response and handling the COG is not to high and it gets it as hard as i would like it too with throttle left in reserve.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 21526
Get a 450 ,,youll want the extra power sooner or later ,,id go Z400 the kawis are pigs,ive raced a couple and couldnt believe how slow they were,although coulda been the riders
White7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2005, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 17874
me and my wife both have Z400's we mostly ride woods and love the machines. the kfx is the same bike. the last honda we rode with didnt have rev. they may have it now but it is a huge advantage in tight trails. I have well over 100 hard hours on myn and havent had any probs with it.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
I just got a 02 400ex. I love it. I dont forsee needing more power. It GOES. Reverse would be nice though.

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 43660
I have an 04 Ltz400 and love it. The suk, kaw, and arctic cat are the exact same quad except plastic. All made by suzuki. I ride mostly woods and mine keeps up with anything out there but I've also been riding and racing for 30yrs. Me and a couple buddies just got back from sand lake oregon and played in the dunes and I wish I had a bit more power. It did fine but my buddy with his honda 450 walked away from me pretty easily. His does have more power but it's also lighter (no electric start or reverse) but in the woods its more even. Suzuki is coming out with a 450 next year for 06 so I will more than likely upgrade and give my kid my 400. From my understanding the honda 400ex is a little outdated and overweight. I think honda focused more on the 450.
As far as which one has the most grunt? Mine has a yoshi pipe, rejet kit, air filter/box mods, and its geared a bit lower than stock. 4th gear power wheelies are no problem.
brandonsfabwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 37440
For 05 the Suzuki is alot better than either of the other quads. Up until this year, the articcat, the suzuki, and the kawi were the same quad but not anymore. In 05 the suzuki got a different cam profile that makes a good little difference in power. It also got piggy back adjustable shocks up front. It is now faster and handles better than before. By the way, the 400ex is a good quad, it's just outdated. The kawi smokes the ex and the suzuki smokes the kawi. All seem to be pretty reliable. Good luck on the new quad.
2zuks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 36452
Send a message via AIM to mudin
it dont matter what cams u have most people go after market anyways pic a color and make it go as fast as u want it to my 03 z 400 will out right hands down pull away from a honda 450 or a yamaha 450. and for u smart asses yes i spent a little money
mudin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by one eye
I have a KFX 400 and it is fun to ride, with a pipe and jet kit it moves pritty good. I have had a banchee and a 250R to compair.

ok.................................... go ahead, tell us how they compared & your post might not be useless
TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
:evil:-[COLOR="Red"]Awesome web development for your business[/COLOR]. [url]www.mudnworks.com[/url] [email]mud@mudnworks.com[/email]
[URL="http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654231"]Pat's W I D E TOYOTA Front Axle[/URL]
--"07 RoadStar 1700-4sale"
SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2005, 07:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 324
05 400 EX now has reverse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.