db or atv???? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Motorcycles/ATVs
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 77526
db or atv????

i dont know whether to get a dirt bike or a quad
wich is cheapest(on a budget)
wich is safer
what kind of dirtbike should i get(remember im a beginner)
or what kind of quad shoud i get(beginner remember
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]91 jeep yj, 37" maxxis creepy crawlers;2" leafs w/SOA;front: dana 30 w/super 30 kit 4:88's,rear: high pinion dana 44 4:88's;prp suspension seats;full roll cage five point harnesses;four banger w/home made intake system;rattle-can paint job borla headers;tera low 4:1, 2.72:1 klune-v[/FONT]
BODYDAMAGE!!!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 6002
Send a message via ICQ to Toy 4Runner Man Send a message via AIM to Toy 4Runner Man
It all depends on what and where you plan on using it. Oh, and your wieght, hight, experance, ect.

I can ride dirt bikes ok, but I am quite fast on a quad. In the sand, a quad is the way to go, but if you can master a dirt bike in the sand, you are the man.
Toy 4Runner Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 77526
thx for your input
i ame roughly 6'
170lbs
and have never owned a dirtbike or an atv in my life
i rented a atv out at pismo beach last year and finally got the gf to let me get one
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]91 jeep yj, 37" maxxis creepy crawlers;2" leafs w/SOA;front: dana 30 w/super 30 kit 4:88's,rear: high pinion dana 44 4:88's;prp suspension seats;full roll cage five point harnesses;four banger w/home made intake system;rattle-can paint job borla headers;tera low 4:1, 2.72:1 klune-v[/FONT]
Old 08-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 64015
Quads are the only way to go. I say this bacause they are an All Terrain Vehicle. Even snow and ice. They are usually more expensive and since they have 4 wheels they require just that much more maintanance. And they require more storage/travel space. I say for a beginner, start with a used 2 wheeler. Ride the hell out of it in all terrains you can. Then research the quad market and buy a new one. This was my experiance and I think the two wheeler helped the hand-eye coordination. Now the quad, although heavier, Is easy to throw around.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 77526
again youve helped me more than you think
thank you for your input i was going to get a dirtbike cuz of the price and size
anyways so you just made me sure
Old 08-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 14874
atvs carry more beer
thump93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 25349
Send a message via AIM to mondtster
Generally speaking, inexperienced riders will have more fun and will pick up the riding skills necessary to handle a quad almost immediately. Bikes require more skill to be good at riding them, therefore taking longer to truly get good at riding them. I personally like bikes better even though I don't consider myself to be a very skilled rider.

Bikes are more forgiving than quads when dealing with accidents, as quads are larger, heavier, and have more of a tendency to roll over on top of you during an accident. Either way, I have wrecked on both and broken bones, so I would say that both of them are equally dangerous depending on how and where you ride them.
mondtster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 971
Dirt bike

I say get the dirt bike.I am a farmer I ride a quad almost every day. When i want to have fun only my dirt bike will do. Quads are fun at pismo i'll give you that. But for tougher tarrain only a bike will do. I can ride accross Dusy and dack in one day. In and out on rubicon in a day. the ride is much smoother. and in tight terrian much more nimble. Glen
GlenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 46184
I have a 04 raptor 660 and like the shit out of it my friend had a crf450 and could spank my ass up hills but got wore out alot quiker. I am currently looking into getting a bike but I wouldn'ttrade my 4wheeler for one. Either way you will have a good time.

[COLOR="Lime"]Team Pirate 2009 Baja 1000[/COLOR]
simmons3067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 77526
thx alot im probably going to go with the 06 honda crf230f becaus of the price and it got good review for a beginners bike

thanks for all you input
Old 08-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 3698
For me the difference was do you want to ride or do you want to fall? Talking to bike riders after I went down twce told me that fallng id just part of riding and they fall almost every time they ride (including small offs). Now on a quad, you can make the small mistake and scare yourself but remain on the quad. Both can have the big accedents when you start getting in the air, but with the quad you have the option to slow down and stay on but with the bike you can fall even going slow.
XJJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by BODYDAMAGE!!!!!!
thx alot im probably going to go with the 06 honda crf230f becaus of the price and it got good review for a beginners bike

thanks for all you input
You will be happy with that bike for along time!

Remember to get all the gear and when your riding look at where you want to go.... NOT at what your afraid of hitting