90cc Kazuma ATV: A Year In Review - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Motorcycles/ATVs
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2007, 06:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
90cc Kazuma ATV: A Year In Review

I thought I'd take a few minutes to give my impression of the 90cc Kazuma kid's ATV I purchased the first week of March, 2006. It's now 15 months later, and I figure we've put enough time on it to give a decent review of how it has held up.

I'll try to ad some actual pictures and specs from the manual when I get home tonight, until then, a stock photo from online:

First impressions:

ATV came in a crate, so I had to install the battery and wheels & tires. We were able to add gas and the ATV was up and running without any complications in just a few minutes. Needs a few minutes to warm up with the choke on before it will run good.

I would estimate that my daughter rides her ATV for an average of 1-3 hours per week since she got it.

About 8 months in, I had to adjust the carb since it was dying when she came to a stop. Followed the simple procedure in the manual and took just a few minutes for her to be on her way again.

Problems so far:

-I should have checked the fender bolts and nuts out of the crate, several of them worked loose and nuts fell off. Having parted out more than a few Toyota trucks, I had plenty of metric fasteners laying around to remedy that in short order
-Just yesterday the nuts on the exhaust flange worked loose and fell off while she was riding. Again, sourced some replacement metric nuts from my shop and that was taken care of. At the same time, I also went ahead and adjusted the chain.
-The rear disc brake and sprocket guard broke at one of the welds where a rod ties the two guards together. This caused an annoying rattle while she drives it. I'll be welding that back up this weekend.
-The ATV came with some cheezy chromed wire heat "guards" to keep your feet an inch or so away from the sides of the case. Both of sides have broken at the thin brackets that hold them on. Again, 5 minutes with the welder and these will be fixed - and probably beefed up with some added bracing.
-One of the headlights came loose - fastener was just not tight from the factory.
-I cleaned the carb last night, and found that the throttle assembly was not set properly from the factory, and was not opening all the way. A little adjustment there got me quite a bit more in the top end for speed.

Summary:
Over all, we've been extremely happy with this purchase, with the biggest issue being loose fasteners (something I now know to check right out of the crate).

If I can think of anything else, I'll add it
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
CMF

Member # 36775
I have read several other reviews where loose fasteners were a problem with these brands. I'm seriously thinking about buying one (50cc) for my boy but if I do, I'll be taking it apart completely and putting loc-tite on every bolt before he rides it.
CMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMF View Post
I have read several other reviews where loose fasteners were a problem with these brands. I'm seriously thinking about buying one (50cc) for my boy but if I do, I'll be taking it apart completely and putting loc-tite on every bolt before he rides it.
IMHO, I'd skip the 50cc models and go ahead and get the 90cc on the small frame. Most of the 50's don't have a suspension in the front, and some don't have any suspension at all

I just set the throttle limiter on the 90 to keep her speed down until she could get the hang of it.

One of the selling points this model had for me was a single brake pedal that operated THREE disc brakes (both fronts, one rear). Many of these small ATV's (even the name brand ones) don't have that feature.

Shoot me your phone # in a PM - my cousin is selling a few different off-brand ones down this way and the prices are worth checking out
Old 06-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
My camera died, but here are a few shots I could get.

First, our family of 4wheelers at the moment:

A few shots of the Kazuma:

You can see if you look close in this one where the weld broke on the guard right behind the rear disc brake rotor:

And in this one you can see on the right hand side where the thin bracket for the wire motor case guard broke loose:

I'll get some more when my camera batteries are charged
Old 06-15-2007, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Less than an hour in the shop and I had the broken brackets and guards welded back up and ready to go.

I think I also got the bowl gasket cocked in ther on the carb re-assembly, because it has been seeping gas around the edge. Will get that taken care of asap.

One thing I need to do for sure is get a good name brand spark plug in there instead of the cheap one it came with.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
I know I've updated this elsewhere... but we still have this ATV, and my daughter still rides it ever few days (she just turned 11 - and she got it for her 5th birthday, lol).

I eventually gave up after re-welding the wire guards and just took them off. Finally put in a good aftermarket sealed battery and it's been awesome. Had to repair the rear axle sprocket guard last year, but other than that it's been a superb ATV for the money invested
Old 04-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
You Dumb Bastard

Member # 34281
Send a message via Yahoo to keller
Glad you updated this DRM. I was researching buying one for my 4 year old boy and stumbled aupon this.

Glad to here about a happy owner of the quad for 5 years

Any pics of the bike with your daughter (@ 5 year old) on it?

Shop build Thread
91 Tracker--38s--Doubler--Build Thread
05 CTD reg cab 6speed

Last edited by keller; 04-01-2012 at 07:11 PM.
keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
You Dumb Bastard

Member # 34281
Seems they replaces this model with a much crapier version.

Shop build Thread
05 CTD reg cab 6speed

Old 04-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123683
Quote:
Originally Posted by keller View Post
Seems they replaces this model with a much crapier version.
The same model is listed on their website, but I have no idea how I would buy one if I wanted to.
http://www.kazumaatv.com/atvs.htm
Jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
You Dumb Bastard

Member # 34281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules083 View Post
The same model is listed on their website, but I have no idea how I would buy one if I wanted to.
http://www.kazumaatv.com/atvs.htm

If you look around you can find online vendors taht will shit the atv to you. but they allsay the mini falcon it permanetly out of stock and are pushing some cheep looking utility bike.

Shop build Thread
05 CTD reg cab 6speed