A arm fabrication? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Motorcycles/ATVs
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2002, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 10969
A arm fabrication?

Has anyone here tried to build their own longer a arms for more travel? I know there would be alot of figuring and time getting it just right but I think it could be done.
Raptorman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 3239
Send a message via AIM to Brad Send a message via Yahoo to Brad
just take off the one u got now, get the metal and bend it the same radius but leave the ends longer, course you will have to reinforce it. look at other longer A arms and see how they are made
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2002, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11407
Just remember you have to think about shock locations and ratesfor the added legenth. Tie rods you will have to make and they could be kinda fun, but the arms themselfs shouldnt be that bad just getting the correct geometry would be a bitch. I personaly like my LoneStars, the fit and finish are unreal and my shocks should arrive Thurs or Fri. Total for my whole kit that I got was 1900.00 yes you could beat that but I just had to make a phone call and it was done. But let me know how they turn out.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 2363
My buddy did his own a arms after he bent one. It's really quite easy even the steering. Finding a shock that will work with your setup like previously stated is incredibly hard as we found out. For the price of these longtravel kits though i would be willing to try several times to make it work.

I haven't looked at a raptors steering by the way so dont hold me to everything but on a banshee i'd do it myself. To make the longer a arms you can work it all out on a CAD program or solidworks before you build them as well if you have that capability
Old 06-14-2002, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 10969
Thanks for the info guy's.I have my Raptor torn apart right now.Thanks to a freind of mine I had to buy all new plastic and about $1500 worth of other things.He put it on it's top Well the good thing is he paid for it but the bad thing is he asked to ride it while I was at work and my wife said to wait till I got home to ask me.Well when she left for work he just helped himself I ended up getting a set of long travel T.C.S. shocks,5 gallon tank,Fullbore plastic,Pro cuircut pipe and a pile of other trick parts.I wanted to buy arms but I ran out of money.I am glad to hear that others have tried making arms.I may try to make some out of mild steel tubeing just to get everything right,angles,shock mounts,caster,steering etc. Then when I get everthing just right build them out of chromemoly.
Raptorman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11407
Check with Golen West Cycle, they make a cheaper arm for your Raptor, around 500 or 600 for the complete set. These arms are good quality and hold up just as well as any other arm on the market. But making your arms sounds fun but its alot of time and work. let us know how it turns out.