Pirate 4x4 banner

kx or cr 500?

5K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  luigi 
#1 ·
ive been kicking around the idea of getting an older(88-92) 2 stroke 500 for the dunes and desert riding. just hoping to hear some opinions on the KX and the CR from people who have owned them.

#2 · (Edited)
I owned a beat up kx500 for about a year. I loved and miss it, scary fast a few people would even ride it when offered. Some older and maybe wiser mx and atv friends told me to sell it before I got hurt. It's hard to predict how much traction you would get with that much power compared to the smaller bikes. Sometimes it would just fish tail at take off or shifting other times it would dig deep and get traction almost throwing you off the back.
I took a pick when I had it all tore down for new plastic and to extend the rear but sold it :(

#3 ·
I have a 95 CR500.

get a 92 or newer CR500 as they are improved over the others.
If jetted right and with a flywheel weight AND your not a complete idoit, they are very easy to ride bikes.

Either that or get a CR500 in a CR250 frame :D

#7 ·
cool thanks for the input guys. it would be kinda cool to swap a 500 motor in my crf450 frame, but i like the 450 for all around riding. sounds liek either one will make a sweet dune monster, ill just have to wait for a killer deal. Does anyone know any real horsepower numbers on these beasts?

#8 ·
horsepower is a relative number that depends on tune and who you beleive.. there are some hot ones though.. some of the mid to late 80's cr's were said to be the hottest, and the later KX's are said to be a little faster than the later crs.. But you know, they are both damn fast.. I would not trade my 450 motor for a 500 2 stoke in a million years.. The 450 in just about any place other than a straight line Drag race where traction is Awsome the 450 is faster.. Not because it has more power(it does Not) but you can use the power

#10 ·
well if you want to be top dog at the dunes buy a KTM 550 -
I bought one new in 96 (last year made) and it would eat a cr500 or kx500.
In fact I made the mistake of buying a 2000 cr5 to replace it...rode it 3 times and sold it, it was a big dissapiontment.

#13 ·
Have you thought about a quad? I have a 1987 Suzuki LT500R quadracer (quadzilla) 500 2 stroke. This thing kicks ass in the sand. I purchased a Polaris Predator 500 a year ago and have not rode this as much as I would like. I don’t want to sell this thing but I could use the money for my Rock Buggy, $3000 OBO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.