Anybody have one of these? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Motorcycles/ATVs
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 80664
Anybody have one of these?

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

A friend just sent me the link and said he test rode one and it was awesome. Super light, quiet, and all electric motor. I've been wanting a nice light trail bike to throw on the trailer during my rock crawling trips......assuming the batteries hold up on this thing.

videos:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/gallery.php
Old 04-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fab:30

Member # 112255
Holy crap those are expensive!!!

But they look like a cool idea if they are durable.
xo_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 121833
They say batteries last 40 minutes to 2 hours... would not work with me. I would have to run back to a generator several times... I'll stick to gas for now.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 80664
Anybody own one? I'd like to know more about the battery life and power use.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 233
KTM http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/10/ktm-builds-a-ra.html

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=10

Last edited by Richard; 04-05-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1418
Theres a local dealer that has test rides .......

http://www.southwestdirtrider.com/cg...num=1236528507
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 121680
There is a guy on ADVrider.com in Port Orange Florida who has one.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 80664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyron View Post
Theres a local dealer that has test rides .......

http://www.southwestdirtrider.com/cg...num=1236528507

Link did not work for me....
Old 04-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuggy View Post
Link did not work for me....
sorry ...... I forgot to check it...... cut and paste

14885 N. 83rd Place in Scottsdale (right behind Costco) is the location offering demo rides on the new Zero Motorcycle.

Zero Noise
Zero Gas
Zero Emissions

City of Snobsdale, are you listening? Zero reasons to ban us from urban trails now. Oh, yeah the dust thing. Well were working on that too.
Read a little about them, patiently awaiting the KTM electric bike promised in 2010, but the Zero is here now, you can ride it and for only $9,400 or so you can own this 145lb, high torque, super agile, single track eater.
The lithium ion battery is said to last about 4-5 years making the $9,400 price tag a little easier to swallow because other than replacing the battery for about $3,500, there is little other maintenance to deal with, just unplug and go! 8-)
Chuck B & I met Saturday afternoon to take the little bike for a spin in the parking lot behind the dealer (Scott Alan at Electric Car Outlet)
My first impression of the bike was skeptical, I mean it was small & light, but how did it perform? First round of the parking lot, Scott set the bike on "low" the setting you would use for your baby sister.
Acceleration was exactly what I would expect from an electric bike... or a fast golf cart. One loop around the lot and I begged for the faster setting. "Be careful" Scott said as he reset the bike & stepped back. Gently I twisted the throttle and the difference was night & day. The bike lunged forward with more power than my YZ, lifting the front wheel as I jetted across the (suddenly smaller parking lot). 0-30 in less than 2 seconds will take you from throttle to full brake very quickly in a parking lot.
The bike is virtually silent, only a humming noise as you twist it on. The loudest sound is the displaced gravel or the chirping of the tires on asphalt as the Zero propels you with wicked-smooth powerband from corner to corner. No gears, no shifting, no foot brake, no on/off the throttle, this bike takes about half the brain power to ride. Your feet just enjoy the ride, while your hands control brake & throttle easily.
Lighter and torqueier than a trials bike, we scuttled back & forth in the parking lot silently except for an occasional "Yeeeehaw".
You can ride the Zero right up the isle of a church during mass without missing a word of Latin by the priest. Dirt riders at P & D could race back & forth all day without disturbing a single resident. Maybe ride the perimiter of Quinterro without even being notices by the most hearing sensitive putter.
Any faults, well not many.
No aftermarket shark fins or other stuff available yet for the bikes, only 2hrs or 40 miles per charge (two hour recharge) and 20" front, 17" rear.
Honestly if the battery offered double the currentl life & milage, this would be a "no brainer". There is no other downside I could find to the bike. It was a ball to ride and if we only did 35 mile trail rides or 1.5 hour rides, I would buy one ASAP.
Won't be long before they double that battery life so start saving your nickels.
8-)

Yup, that thing was a hoot to ride. Love the silky smooth torque & light, agile handling. Not sure how it would hold up in a crash but it is so easy to ride, I bet is would see less crash time than other bikes.
Fun doing sweeping corners w/just enough throttle to make a long, smooth black mark while lifting the front wheel just slightly.
Wanted to hit mtn trails with it so bad!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 80664
Thanks Kyron, excellent info and pics.

I also checked out the southwestdirtrider.com site. Cool stuff on there.