Decent Kids Mountain bike - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13012
Decent Kids Mountain bike

Anyone have any suggestions for a good kids bike. My daughter is almost 10 and has been riding my wife's Specialized hybrid bike and loves it. It is however is just a little to big for her and I honestly don't feel like dropping 600 bucks for a bike for a tall 10 year old. I also ride a Specialized Hardrock and know they are decent bikes. Any suggestions on something maybe around 250.00 bucks or less?
lincontaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 55549
craigslist! I havent bought either of my kids a new bike yet and they are 8 & 10. I always wait paiently for the right deal then strike quick. Im kind of a freak when it comes to quality too so the bikes have to be bike store bikes not box store bikes. Kids currently have boys trek, girls specialized 24" mtn bikes. Both were $350-380 new in store and I picked them both up for $180 each both were almost brand new, actually the girls damn near was.

Its not a Jeep, and dont even think of calling it a Scout!

Last edited by SonicDonkey; 12-09-2011 at 08:02 AM.
SonicDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 13012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicDonkey View Post
craigslist! I havent bought either of my kids a new bike yet and they are 8 & 10. I always wait paiently for the right deal then strike quick. Im kind of a freak when it comes to quality too so the bikes have to be bike store bikes not box store bikes. Kids currently have boys trek, girls specialized 24" mtn bikes. Both were $350-380 new in store and I picked them both up for $180 each both were almost brand new, actually the girls damn near was.
Yep, I have been looking there as well. I notice that a good bit of the bikes are 6-9 speeds. I think that would be enough for her now or would you think she would need more gearing options? honestly she would be riding the bike around the neighborhood and maybe some very mild trails. I normally stay with in 3 gears from each other when I'm out riding.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 111759
I picked my nephew up a 24" DB octane for 20 bucks on CL. It needed a new crank. Sunk 40 bucks worth of parts in it and he has a killer little bike. He is 11 and just really figuring out gearing so he didn't need too many options.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
scott and specialized have the best line ups of JR mtbs that hve 24" wheels. keep a look out for used ones.
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 64925
Send a message via MSN to grnd93
My boy also has the DB Octane. Seems like a decent bike, I dont care for the adjustable handlebar riser tho.
grnd93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2b View Post
scott and specialized have the best line ups of JR mtbs that hve 24" wheels. keep a look out for used ones.
I agree. My 10 year old has been riding a Trek MT220. They now have a 240. Buts its pretty heavy.

The 24" bikes are OK. But being she's a girl I'd consider a small frame womens bike with a 26" wheel. But you're going to spend more money than you want. Next spring my son will move up to a 26" wheel bike.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 13012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
I agree. My 10 year old has been riding a Trek MT220. They now have a 240. Buts its pretty heavy.

The 24" bikes are OK. But being she's a girl I'd consider a small frame womens bike with a 26" wheel. But you're going to spend more money than you want. Next spring my son will move up to a 26" wheel bike.
Yep, I think I'm just going to take her up to the bike shop we buy all of our stuff from and let her pick something out. I think a 26" wheeled bike is going to work out pretty good. She is pretty tall for her age and has zero problems on my wifes bike with the seat dropped down. I would rather spend a little bit more up front for a quality bike that will get free tune ups any time its needed.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 156136
X2 on Scott bikes!!!! Been looking at the 20" mountain for my 5 year old, this bikes are great. Although i haven't looked into the 24" ones that much, i do know the 20's are getting great reviews. Best thing about the Scott bikes are they are truely built for kids, so a 20' bike has a shock for a 40-60 pound kid that would actually work for them, not some old stiff clunker for looks.... just my 2c!
cottonmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Well I've been looking at used bikes on clist for my 9 year old. His trek is so heavy and the 24" wheels hamper him when we ride. There are not many used small frame bikes for sale. I did just find an xs specialized that would be perfect. It's basically the same bike his older brother rides without the discs.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 103300
Oh, I thought you said $2500. LOL

http://geckocycles.com/slickrock_jr.htm
geckocycles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 151399
All my kids are on bmx bikes.

I started with a 16" RedLine Pit Boss a number of years ago as it has an alumnium frame and wasn't 30lbs like all the other stuff. It was handed down to the other 2 but the frame was repowdered each so it was like a new bike.

Right now my 12 year old is on a 20" wheel 20"TT BMX bike that my friend built a frame on. I built him up a 14" frame mtn bike with 26" wheels and he likes the BMX bike better. The mtn bike is hung up in the back room. My daughter has a mid '80's Profile that I picked up locally. And the 6 year old is on the Redline with green army powder'd frame and a camo fork that he and I painted hanging from the tree.

I grew up racing and riding BMX up until college and rode those bikes all over the place. I still ride DJ trails and skateparks but on a 26" rig. There is something to be said of a simple durable bike.
donb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 151399
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckocycles View Post
Oh, I thought you said $2500. LOL

http://geckocycles.com/slickrock_jr.htm
Gecko - sweet build! I checked out your website - you made some awesome frames bitd. That retro page is a trip. Cool seeing the pics of the Descenders. I didn't get my first mtn bike until '88 but rode BMX throughout the 80's and remember those bikes. I think they had them in an issue of BMX Action or BMX Plus.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Have a local track. It was windy and cold but the boys wanted us to get out. Here are some videos. Both boys are on Specialized Hardrocks. the 13 year old is on a medium and the 10 year old is on a xsmall. We put flat bars on the the xs small and both have really short stems.

Here are some short videos

Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 151399
Damn! Nice job on that teeter toter! They are tricky when they are that short.

That skills area looks like fun. I think more parks should have stuff like that available. I hardly see kids riding bikes anymore. A pump/jump track opened in NJ last year and it's a nice setup - the problem is it's over an hour away.

Here are a couple clips from when we were up in Stowe a couple years ago. They have a public jump park but the problem is no one keeps it up so it's never firing at it's full potential. I'd love to spend a month up there with a small skid and get that place dialed. Anyway here are my 2 sons, they were 10 and 4 at the time:

Sean, Stowe Bike Park on Vimeo

Cooper, Riding Stowe's Bike Park on Vimeo
Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 103300
That's cool.
My wife made me get rid of my kid tracks behind the shop. Not my property but she was concerned with all the liability issues. Damn Lawyers! I understand they are needed at times but so many take advantage of situations and don't want to take responsibility for their own actions. Some times shit happens and it is not anyone's fault but your own.
geckocycles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Here are 2 more. My 13 year old nailed this thing jump. Got great air but we didn't get video. Then he got tired. We were at it for 4 hours. The pump track killed them.

And here is stupid me on the wall ride. First one ever. I did it about 7 times. Only once successfully. I sucks getting old.

Last edited by hadfield4wd; 03-07-2012 at 03:17 PM.
hadfield4wd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 196282
Try bikesdirect.com I have always had good luck there. Great prices on bikes.
B-Rad- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 151399
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckocycles View Post
That's cool.
My wife made me get rid of my kid tracks behind the shop. Not my property but she was concerned with all the liability issues. Damn Lawyers! I understand they are needed at times but so many take advantage of situations and don't want to take responsibility for their own actions. Some times shit happens and it is not anyone's fault but your own.
Yeah, sounding like a retro grouch but it ain't like when we were kids. I had a full bmx track, 1/4 pipe, half pipe, and various jumps and ramps all over in our woods.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 151399
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
Here are 2 more. My 13 year old nailed this thing jump. Got great air but we didn't get video. Then he got tired. We were at it for 4 hours. The pump track killed them.

And here is stupid me on the wall ride. First one ever. I did it about 7 times. Only once successfully. I sucks getting old.
Pump and jump tracks are a good workout. If i push it i am spent after a half hour on one taking quick laps. 4 hours with the kids is great - that's a long time.

Wall rides are tough - i might build a small one in the back to try and learn them better. That looks like a good one in your vid - i think with wall rides the more speed the better but you have to get into them smooth

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 82644
10 year old on the pump track. At least he gets the idea.

VIDEO0035 - YouTube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.