Advice Please..I dont know anything - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 109970
Advice Please..I dont know anything

Hey everyone. I know alot about 4x4 vehicles but the mountain bike scene is way knew to me. I have looked around this Sub-Forum for advice and am still lost...really lost. I mean bikes now have front forks,disc brakes, rear shocks, and a whole bunch of stuff I dont know about and had no idea were put on bikes now

I'm wanting to get a mountain bike to ride "offroad" and get back into shape. I'm not obese just like trails, dirt, and all that stuff and figured it would be a great way have fun and excercise. The problem is all the bikes I've looked at Trek,Specialized,"the REAL MONGOOSE", Jamis, and everyone in between wants $1000k+ for a bike. I was going to pick a bike up from Sams but I know you get what you pay for and then I remembered this Forum on Pirate.

All I know is I dont want to spend a grand on a bike but at the same time I want a bike I can really ride and enjoy the trails and whatever I come across.

So I guess my question is what do you folks reccomend??? Should I just buy a cheap $200 bike from Sams to get into mountain biking and then upgrade later if I really like it (which I know I will) or do you guys know of any good bikes I can look at for around $500 that I can take out and ride the trails and what not.

BTW I just thought that a Bike break down or "WTF is this" bike thread for NOOBS would help out alot. Because i am pretty damn clueless. Thanks and I look forward to reading all of your comments.

MT
Old 01-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 233
http://www.mtbr.com/
Old 01-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 109970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Yeah I found it last night after posting this. So I did some "looking" and found the Diamondback brand was sold at Dicks Sporting Goods. Its a Diamondback Recoil full suspension. Well they want a grand for it so that was definitely no dice. Then went to Diamondback website and found there "Comp" version. From there I found a local-ish Bike Shop that carries Diamondback and they have a new '10 for $500 OTD with a 5 year unlimited warranty through Diamondback. So that's what I'm going to get
Old 01-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 233
the bike i want is almost $3k , so now i have to adjust my taste
Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 29325
My cousin has that Diamondback. It's a good start. Heavy. Most bike shops will give you free tune ups when you buy from them. Ask when you buy it.
Grand2whL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 109970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
the bike i want is almost $3k , so now i have to adjust my taste
Yeah I have seen some crazy expensive bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand2whL View Post
My cousin has that Diamondback. It's a good start. Heavy. Most bike shops will give you free tune ups when you buy from them. Ask when you buy it.
Looks cool and its in my price range. It can't be any heavier than the old original 21 speed I used to give hell to when I was a pre-teen. Used to do all kinds of abusive fun shit on those bikes
Old 01-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 1602
I went with the $200 Walmart bike to make sure the suspension deal was cool and that I would really start riding again.

Lasted a year and it was pretyt beat up. But it did it's job and I have been riding my Giant full suspension for almost 10 years.

I'd say buy a few year old used quality full suspension bike for around your $1k and have a blast.

*SOLD*
75 Ramcharger 440, blah, blah
*SOLD*

66 Welder Bill't Bronco Rockbuggy
06 CTD
87 Buick Grand National X2
65 Vista Cruiser GN Turbo V6 powered
440-fide Ramcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 96185
Do not buy a full suspension bike new for under $1k. they are just heavy with midiocre components. If you want to get a bike for under $1k only look at hardtails. The full suspension bikes with ride poorly and will be super heavy. the rear suspension on those bikes is just for looks. kinda of like a cavaleir with a rear spoiler.

Edit: a used FS bike for $1k or under is something to consider, but don;t go new.

Last edited by Midwestzj; 01-20-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Midwestzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 165988
In your shoes I'd look for a ~3-4 year old Specialized Stumpjumper FSR for about $1000 or $1200. It will out handle and out perform anything new or used in the same price range, and will do just about any style of trail competently.
hustler905 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
pin it to win it

Member # 172461
i bought my gary fisher xcal a couple threads down for 1100, only a couple months old and still in mint condition, the difference between the (retail $1600) xcal and my ($500) diamondback mountain bike was so huge i'll NEVER buy a bike under 1000 bucks, hit up craigslist should have quite a bit listed
loudpyps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 201506
Buy something used. You will get a lot more bang for your buck starting out and if you upgrade, chances are when you sell, the bike has already depreciated. I second getting a hard tail. You will get a much better bike. If you like it, then down the road spend money on a fully and get what you want. If you can work on cars, bikes aren't rocket science. Buying a used bike isn't hard and there's not much to go wrong.

Something like this would be 100x the other bikes you have looked at:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/classifieds/cat-3/ad-20184/

Edit: FWIW after looking at the add, I realized I know the seller haha, but there are plenty of other great bikes you could find.

Last edited by kazlx; 01-20-2012 at 10:17 AM.
kazlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 189895
X2 on the used. I've been riding/racing for about 15 years now. My first bike was my last new bike. Either find a use frame and build it the way you want it, or find a used complete bike on Ebay. I have bought many bikes on Ebay, tuned them up, and then off to the races you go.
mwstudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 206588
Find a used steel hardtail

Look around for a steel hardtail frame made w/ good tubing, like a Jamis Dragon or a Jamis Exile. Maybe even titanium? Next add a good fork, like Fox 100, Magura 100, etc. Then add good, but not too bling, components like BB7 brakes, XT or good SRAM driveline. Get a really nice saddle, grips. Keep it all tuned, quiet and clean. This is what I ride and race, from Ashland to Skeggs. I probably gathered my MTB up for less than $400. Check bike swap meets if you have them.
earob is offline   Reply With Quote