Mountain bikes are for pussies - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 136280
Nom nom nom

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 14629
This is the winner of that race, Maja Wloszczowska. Passed Batty right on a rocky section near the end of the last lap.

Willow Koerber

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 98654
http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/art...news%2Farticle

Enough said
bronco jnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 151399
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco jnke View Post
haha, I forgot about Watson's gap over the Tour. That was sick and IIRC, everything about the huck was sketch.
donb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 151399
gddyap - great pics of the girls ripping. I love seeing them give us boys a run for our money.

Another female that will make us all look like pussies not matter if we ride skinny slicks or big knobs: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/tara-ll...tive-2011.html
Old 05-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 172501
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiTRD View Post

I ride a DH bike, while I'm not the best at it, a day of riding / jumping / dropping sure kicks my ass.
"how does danny sit down with balls that big?!" hahaha
Old 05-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 74810
meh. i think the OP is just sore because they can't ride one very well.

i have only broken 1 bone in my body. broke my leg while riding a MTB several years back. i can't think of many sports that are tougher or more rewarding than riding.

edit: oh, and I only ride on the road to make my MTB riding/fitness better..

Last edited by mountainbiker90; 05-05-2012 at 06:31 PM.
mountainbiker90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 943
IMHO its ignorant to point at the best of any profession and say look at these pussies, at that level they have separated themselves from the crowd and deserve respect. Road riders have achieved a level of endurance that takes serious time and dedication to achieve, but I think that would be easier to achieve than the skills a downhill biker has.

I havenít ever looked at a road course and thought I canít ride that, but I have with a downhill course. I also know I would will never have the endurance and power of a touring pro road cyclist either.
ind
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 80664
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
IMHO its ignorant to point at the best of any profession and say look at these pussies, at that level they have separated themselves from the crowd and deserve respect. Road riders have achieved a level of endurance that takes serious time and dedication to achieve, but I think that would be easier to achieve than the skills a downhill biker has.
I agree, it is ignorant to compare the two but I'd just like to point out a few points people may not know about the world of pro cycling:

Pro Roadies get paid more than MTB guys. A road racer has to have mad skills, they are just different than a mtn biker. Roadies usually spend more time on the bike training, races are longer, conditions usually worse, and fitness levels are normally higher. I have yet to see an outsider to the sport step in and win a big road race/event. I have seen that happen in a MTB race; Shawn Palmer, pro-snowboarder, started practicing DH a few months before the race and ended up winning the pro event in Big Bear, CA against a stacked field of talent. Granted, Palmer has mad skills on a snowboard and moto up to that point, but he was relatively new to DH racing on a bike.

Both sports require great skill, but I'd say the roadies have to put in more time refining it.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 165988
They might as well be different sports. Roadies deal with a lot more politics.

If you can win a mountain bike race you'll be a big name, and you can do that on your own. You sure as hell couldn't wander up and really compete in the Giro d'Italia as a privateer.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #36 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 117578
Send a message via Yahoo to intensebik
I've had the opportunity to work for a factory world cup DH program. After working with the top level in this sport it is hard to imagine the skill set and fitness that is involved. On the flip side I have had the opportunity to talk with a number of the top riders on the current BMC road racing team. Both are extremely different disciplines. I have learned that all of the people at the top of cycling are born with this gift/talent. You talk to a road racer and they say that they would never be able to ride DH. You talk with a DH racer and they say they could never pin it like the tour guys can. Either way the skill is unbelievable between the two. It's a discussion that will go round in circles forever.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 151399
Mike Montgomery shows that we are all pussies:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Mike-Mo...enes-2012.html

Dumped 3's on skinny wheels and drop bars?! WTF. Place he's riding looks legit too - not just a roll in to foam.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 14629
In honor of the Olympics, Niki Gudex of Australia

Old 08-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 88995
Inspired Bicycles - Danny MacAskill April 2009 - YouTube

Y'all can eat a dick.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 124265
MTB FTW . . .

Get Dirty - YouTube
Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 144519
I've got a gemini 900 for flying down hills and an old school trek 2100 for flying down the pavement.

There is no better, just like I can't fly down a hill on my trek, I sure as hell can't fly down the road like I can on my trek. (for more then a few minutes anyway)

and anyone who has laid a road bike down over 25mph in those shorts and a jersey knows why it takes just as much balls to ride them as it would a mountain bike.
Hoov100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 14629
Emily Batty was expected to do well in the Women's Olympic MTB race but finished 24 of 30

Why the poor showing? She raced with a broken collarbone and a couple busted ribs from a practice run earlier in the week. No one knew except her team till after the race. She's got a pussy but she's no pussy.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:18 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 82644
Quote:
Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
Why the poor showing? She raced with a broken collarbone and a couple busted ribs from a practice run earlier in the week.
Are their alternates? I know it's the olympics and a once in a lifetime chance but shouldn't someone who could be competative be allowed to take her place? discuss.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 81232
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
Are their alternates? I know it's the olympics and a once in a lifetime chance but shouldn't someone who could be competative be allowed to take her place? discuss.

Possibility that even injured she was still better than her teammates?
GreyZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 14629
There were two Canadians in the women's mtb race. Maybe there wasn't enough time for an alternate to show up.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #46 (permalink)
shoes optional

Member # 142117
my .02 cents. isnt the point of being a roadie is to be active and get a workout, then why the hell get the lightest bike with the tighest of tights to make it easier...put some sweat pants on or something. i doubt 90percent of the roadies out there could hike a bike up a mountain.

what makes me laugh is when im getting my morning cup of coffee and the roadie walks into the coffee shop in his gay little shoes, pink tights with his big gay helmet covered in mirrors and still wearing it. i just laugh. i hope they start charging all you a tire tax or something so you actually deserve to use the roads like you do or get the hell off the country roads with blind corners holding up traffic...thats all

Last edited by drewp; 08-19-2012 at 10:12 PM.
drewp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 171057
fwiw to add my bullshit opinion to the fray...

i'm a multi discipline rider and throw a leg over at least one of rigs my daily, and i ride with a whole variety of people.

ridding my road bike is absolutely without doubt the easiest and most boring ridding that i do. if all you do is ride a road bike, then frankly you are missing out in a major way.

i do most of my ridding during peak season at winter park riding the trestle bike park, every year this results in a peak fitness that i cannot obtain in the off season training on my road bike.

i don't know them, but it seams that most of the rippers winning the cross country races around here have started primarily training at trestle as well. ridding downhill -hard- obviously results in some pretty amazing bike handling skills, but also happens to be a pretty intense strength and cardio workout.

sure, you could be a fatass and just coast downhill, but your not going to clear any jumps and your probably going to eat shit.

btw: thanks for the pics of the hotties and reposting danny hearts run. blows my mind.

Last edited by euroford; 08-23-2012 at 12:47 PM.
euroford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #48 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 32726
Having done a lot of both, including DH, freeriding, a touch into some trials, road racing, triathalons, etc.

There is something to be said about the intensity of hitting a big gap or a table top or something like that. A big drop off, or a really fast singletrack....

Also intense, is a criterium (on road)....riding 30+ mph in a pack, on a short (1-2mile), fast course. Lots of crashes and carnage. People lining nearly the whole course screaming for you to go faster. Races last 45 mins to an hour and are a straight-up sprint.

You guys saying one is better than the other need to save it. It's like comparing Indy to Baja.

They're just different!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MattyB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 14629
Liz Hatch. She's a roadie, not a mtbr, but who cares?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 21990
roadies =

MTB is so much more attractive: scenery, no cars, clean air, less attitude, leg shaving not required, better bike handling, respect for how you ride not how you look.

Road cycling is the Mall Crawler of the cycling world!
[URL=http://www.sth4x4.com/]Sierra Treasure Hunters 4wdc[/URL]
[URL=http://www.rockalot.net]my '82 Toy[/URL] fabed w/help from [URL="http://www.4x4beast.com"]4x4Beast Fabrication[/URL]
rockalot is offline   Reply With Quote