Fezzari Bikes - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 134892
Fezzari Bikes

Can anyone tell me anything about the brand or this specific model? I think I'm going to look at it this week.

Fezzari Alta Peak full suspension Shimano XT size M

I've read that customer service is hard to deal with and get parts from but I don't know why I would ever need to deal with them. All the components are pretty high quality and mainstream. The asshole at my local bike shop said hes never even heard of fezzari. Strange how people go from nice to asshole when they find out you aren't buy from them

Anyone have any expirience with these bikes? Good deal or no? What should I look for when looking at the bike?

Any and all help appreciated.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 175985
I would spend some time searching around and reading reviews on MTBR.com it is a good source of knowledge for all things MTB.

I have no experience with that company, it seems to be a factory direct order place much like bikesdirect. The components on the bike are decent but nothing to break the bank over. I would pass on it personally.

What kind of riding do you plan on doing? XC, DH, shredding the gnar? etc. That needs to be what drives your purchase, not just a deal.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 134892
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOonTheGo View Post
I would spend some time searching around and reading reviews on MTBR.com it is a good source of knowledge for all things MTB.

I have no experience with that company, it seems to be a factory direct order place much like bikesdirect. The components on the bike are decent but nothing to break the bank over. I would pass on it personally.

What kind of riding do you plan on doing? XC, DH, shredding the gnar? etc. That needs to be what drives your purchase, not just a deal.
cross country. for now. possibly down hill and gnar shredding/brown running when skills improve

The bike seems to be about on point with local prices. Most full suspensions are $600-$700 for a decent bike thats older than 08 or so. Nicer bikes and newer bikes are more like $800 to $1000. SOund about right? The midget at the local bike shop got pissy and told me I should never buy a used bike but I think he was just mad because I wasn't buying from him. ANy thoughts on that?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 175985
If the trails in your area are not coated in tree roots then I would seriously look into a hard tail mountain bike. It makes you learn how to handle the bike and terrain better, same as 4wheeling you learn line choice.

If you want to go full suspension on the cheap then yes used is a great choice. But look the bike over well, ask when the bearings were serviced for the rear suspension linkage, and ask the last time that the fork and shock were serviced. Check them for oil leaks and to see if there are scratches on the stanchions. Around a 1000 should get you a used Specialized Stumpjumper or Giant Trance or Trance X which are great XC and trail bikes.

Yeah, he is all upset because he sees his sale walking away. Funny thing is if he treated you well then he could have had a lifetime of service and upgrades from you. Odds are you are going to at a minimum need a tune up on the bike. Get the park tools big blue book of bike repair. It will teach you everything you need to know about bike maintenance.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 134892
Quote:
If the trails in your area are not coated in tree roots then I would seriously look into a hard tail mountain bike. It makes you learn how to handle the bike and terrain better, same as 4wheeling you learn line choice.

If you want to go full suspension on the cheap then yes used is a great choice. But look the bike over well, ask when the bearings were serviced for the rear suspension linkage, and ask the last time that the fork and shock were serviced. Check them for oil leaks and to see if there are scratches on the stanchions. Around a 1000 should get you a used Specialized Stumpjumper or Giant Trance or Trance X which are great XC and trail bikes.

Yeah, he is all upset because he sees his sale walking away. Funny thing is if he treated you well then he could have had a lifetime of service and upgrades from you. Odds are you are going to at a minimum need a tune up on the bike. Get the park tools big blue book of bike repair. It will teach you everything you need to know about bike maintenance.
Many of the trails are COVERED in rocks. Also plenty of opportunity for small jumps and drops. I'm a big guy, around 215. I have heard from other big guys that a hard tail makes for popped tubes and bent rims alot.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 175985
If that is the type of riding and terrain you are going to be on I would say go with something around 4 or 5" of suspension. You are correct in that a fully does help to protect your rim, but rim choice, tire choice, and air pressure play more into that. A set of trail or free ride rims are going to be much stronger than a standard xc rim.

There are plenty of hard tails out there that can run that kind of terrain, and they do make you a better rider, think of it as driving an old toyota with leaf springs, and then moving over to buggy with 16" coil overs. Your line choices are going to be much different. The hard tail arguably makes you a better rider.

Though I am biased since I got rid of my trail bike for a hardtail single speed.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 134892
Quote:

Though I am biased since I got rid of my trail bike for a hardtail single speed.
I'm too much of a pussy for that right now

I know that I don't "need" a soft tail yet, but if I know I'm going to want a soft tail later, I might as well go ahead and get one. No point in buying a hardtail if I'm going to want to sell it and step up in six months.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 129188
Dont even consider a hardtail unless your a dirt jumper!
These days, most xc or all mtn bikes comes with an air shock on the rear. Most have a "pro pedal" lever (fox).
Almost every company now has the geo down pat. 4-6" bikes all climb well and descend even better.
Shimano has a component line called "zee" on the cheap with all the latest top shelf tech.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 134892
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocks4rnr View Post
These days, most xc or all mtn bikes comes with an air shock on the rear. Most have a "pro pedal" lever (fox).
Almost every company now has the geo down pat. 4-6" bikes all climb well and descend even better.
Shimano has a component line called "zee" on the cheap with all the latest top shelf tech.
All good to know. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 134892
Any one know anything about the Jamis Dakar XC or Jamis bikes in general? specifically this one? jamis full suspension
Old 02-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 205023
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocks4rnr View Post

Errnt, Wrong.

There are some fundamentals that you can only learn on a hardtail/rigid setup that will greatly benefit you later in life (on a dual suspension setup or whatever you choose to ride). I completely agree on the geometry point though, most AM/ Trail bikes today are dialed in that aspect.

Jamis makes decent all around bikes, in my experience they have been on the heftier side but then again I've never seen one actually fail in person, so that's a plus.

Big Pimpin, I highly recommend a hardtail, but if your heart is set on a DS at this point in time have you considered a SC Heckler or something like that? Fairly cheap new, single pivot means only 2 bearings to be replaced when the time comes, and Heckler parts can be found nearly everywhere.

Santa Cruz Bicycles HECKLER

Just a thought and $.02 from a long time MTB'er...
Old 02-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 134892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmafia View Post
Errnt, Wrong.

There are some fundamentals that you can only learn on a hardtail/rigid setup that will greatly benefit you later in life (on a dual suspension setup or whatever you choose to ride). I completely agree on the geometry point though, most AM/ Trail bikes today are dialed in that aspect.

Jamis makes decent all around bikes, in my experience they have been on the heftier side but then again I've never seen one actually fail in person, so that's a plus.

Big Pimpin, I highly recommend a hardtail, but if your heart is set on a DS at this point in time have you considered a SC Heckler or something like that? Fairly cheap new, single pivot means only 2 bearings to be replaced when the time comes, and Heckler parts can be found nearly everywhere.

Santa Cruz Bicycles HECKLER

Just a thought and $.02 from a long time MTB'er...
Thanks for all of the suggestions. If I had a greater cash flow I would start out on a hardtail, but I am afraid I would just want to step up to a softail after a little while. I could always sell the hard tail, but I can't afford to take the hit twice if that makes sence.

This is the same reason I can't buy a new bike. My budget is less than a grand. I'm basically limited to whatever pops up on the local craigslist, but I'm certainly willing to wait for a good bike to come along.