school me on disc brakes - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 28187
school me on disc brakes

I picked up a 2005 specialized stumpjumper fsr m4 a couple years ago. some one had converted to disc brakes. avid elixir discs.They worked like shit.either they were hanging up or needed to be bled.Time to start riding again and loose some weight.

yesterday i picked up some sram level t take offs off craigslist.they fit work great.

here`s my questions. can you put any size disc on that you want, with the proper spacer`s ,bracket.

is there any benefit to larger rotors ? I have 160mm avid rotors front and rear.
the front has a contact area about a 1/2' wide rear about 1" wide.they are like two different rotors. does the wide one go in the back skinny on the front.

can i use any brand of 6 bolt rotors? or are rotors manufacture of brake specific.

thanks for any help.
BlaznJon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 96185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaznJon View Post
I picked up a 2005 specialized stumpjumper fsr m4 a couple years ago. some one had converted to disc brakes. avid elixir discs.They worked like shit.either they were hanging up or needed to be bled.Time to start riding again and loose some weight.

yesterday i picked up some sram level t take offs off craigslist.they fit work great.

here`s my questions. can you put any size disc on that you want, with the proper spacer`s ,bracket.

is there any benefit to larger rotors ? I have 160mm avid rotors front and rear.
the front has a contact area about a 1/2' wide rear about 1" wide.they are like two different rotors. does the wide one go in the back skinny on the front.

can i use any brand of 6 bolt rotors? or are rotors manufacture of brake specific.

thanks for any help.
you can put a rotor on the fork as big as the fork manufacturer recommends. some old forks only allowed up to a 180 mm rotor as where some allow a 200 mm. if you're a bigger guy, but 180mm front and rear.

The braking track should really be the same for all avid rotors. the model name should be printed on the side of the rotor. post it up for both and we can figure it out.

you're better off staying with the same brand rotors. if Hayes build rotors with a 15mm wide pad and braking surface and Avid builds it with a 20mm wide pad and surface you could run into some issues.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 28187
thanks midwestzj i owe you a

the front rotor was a shimano the rear a avid.I picked up the right sram rotor at the local bike shop. this explained the weird spacers they had on the front.

Both calipers fit flat on the posts and on the adapter in the rear. it took a couple hard stops and the front works great now.I went with 160mm again in the front. I will get used to riding again ,then look into whether 180mm will fit on the front.
BlaznJon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 132269
I've found 160mm to work well for me, I am a big dude but not a super shredder downhill. I haven't found a modern fork that hasn't worked with 180mm, but its good to check.

Make sure to keep the lube off those discs! Just like car brakes, they'll glaze over.
cmiller00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
TK Member

Member # 84917
Im a big guy, and I run 160's. That fucker will throw you over the bars if you grab to much brake!!
I just don't see 180's being necessary personally.
Quote:
It might sound trivial, and often overlooked,
but a raccoon population in your area is a major consideration when
building a truck, especially when it comes down to steering
components
blugreenformula is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 132269
Quote:
Originally Posted by blugreenformula View Post
Im a big guy, and I run 160's. That fucker will throw you over the bars if you grab to much brake!!
I just don't see 180's being necessary personally.
+1 but the big brakes look BAD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.