Nishiki Manitoba...Opinions? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2006, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 69594
Nishiki Manitoba...Opinions?

My buddy has an old full ridgid Nishiki Manitoba that I may buy, I need something that can do light trail work, mostly just dirt road type riding like I do now.

I'm currently riding a beater huffy, I'd like to get something that doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart under me (already fucks up shifts, nothing like having the chain move all the way over to the crank arm when you shift to the big ring). I've ridden it quite a bit and like the feel of it, currently all stock from what I can see, maybe grips and seat have been changed.

Any of you guys got expierience with them? I know I can cut a pretty decent deal on one. Can anyone reccomend an affordable suspension fork too? the dirt section of my usual loop is washboarded to hell, and kills my wrists, even on my bmx bike (you'd think that big fat front tire would soak up some impact like it does every other place).

Last edited by TrikeKid; 08-31-2006 at 02:09 AM.
TrikeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 33887
Send a message via AIM to AndrewFlow
how old is this bike? is the head tube 1" or 1 1/8"? its getting harder and harder to get 1" forks these days and most are low end. there is always the base model mt bike at the local shop. might cost more but upgrading forks is costly too. fork will be over 100 bucks. headset is gonna be 15 or 20. prolly could score a used stem. toss in some cables and possible small parts for getting the breaks going. then some labor. and you end up with a good chunk of a new bike. you could always score some old used stuff from a shop but chances are its beat and isnt worth the time. i know most of the old forks here are worthless other than for a random small part here and there. another thing to remember is that older bikes were not designed for suspension and thus adding a suspension fork screws things up.
AndrewFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2006, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 69594
I would guess late 90's maybe, judging by the colors and general design of the thing. The bike works fine right now, doesn't need cables etc... other than the front if I change forks, and an Odyssey Slic Kable isn't that costly. These bikes came with a suspension fork in the later years (they were made from the late 80's all the way up to 99 I believe). I'm a BMX rider(just got a Volume Deathwish to replace my Giant/Mosh frame), so I have an idea of what things cost, and I can do any work I need done myself. I don't have a local bike shop, therefore, I don't use them, so that way for scoring used parts isn't an option.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 33887
Send a message via AIM to AndrewFlow
if its cheap and it works for you go for it. if you wanna go super cheap you could just get a dh tire on the front for a shock. cheap is good. since you can do the work you will save mad cash when you find a fork. good luck. find out what you need and i might be able to round it up.
AndrewFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 133375
One of the best online stores that I have visited is very professional and has focused on their passion about everything to do with the world of automobiles. They have structured an easy and quick way to that enables the buyer to save money and fuel by buying tires and wheels online. Please visit: www.clicktire.com.
Mattieashton is offline   Reply With Quote