Making your own frame? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 07:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 55647
Making your own frame?

who here is building there own bike frames, then adding their own components? It doesnt seem like it would be too hard, especially for people on this board. What size tubing are you using, I assume everyone is using chromo? Is there a chart, out there or a writeup to give some ideas? Post up any info you have, on building the frame or buying the components. Seems the money you save in making your own frame could be spent elsewhere. So lets hear the ideas everyone has.
Dangle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 39660
making a frame isnt as easy as you might think...minute angle differences can make a big difference in the feel of the bike. Thats not to say you cant do it, but i dont think its as easy as building a bumper or sliders. Then again, what do i know, Ive never done it. There is a class here at Cal Poly SLO, "singletrack design" thats all about designing and building your own frame. I talked to a guy in it and they buy all the tubing from someone, columbus steel I believe. Couldn't find anything on it online, but regardless, He said theres someone who sells tubing sets for building a bike, tubes come pre-butted and shaped, just cut to your lengths and weld it up.

The collective writing skills of the PBB is equivalent to a blind down syndrome-afflicted monkey with no hands and epilepsy.

Last edited by christyle; 01-22-2007 at 03:33 PM.
christyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2007, 03:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 75252
Send a message via AIM to sami86 Send a message via MSN to sami86 Send a message via Yahoo to sami86
i have my design and my tubing..its going to be a hardtail downhil bike with lots of gusseting and square tubes
Old 01-23-2007, 05:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 55647
thanks for the response christyle, the more I look at my mtb the more and more I see that would be hard for me to do. I figured the geometry had alot to do with the way the bike worked, I was originally asking this cause I was wondering about a single speed bike. Sami, how did you go about designing your bike, or is it something that is top secret? Just trying to get more info on this subject, thanks guys.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 29385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangle View Post
thanks for the response christyle, the more I look at my mtb the more and more I see that would be hard for me to do. I figured the geometry had alot to do with the way the bike worked, I was originally asking this cause I was wondering about a single speed bike. Sami, how did you go about designing your bike, or is it something that is top secret? Just trying to get more info on this subject, thanks guys.
Information wise, www.mtbr.com is kinda like the "pirate" of mountain bikes. You could probably find a lot more information on this subject there than anywhere else.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 71068
I know a guy here that builds them out of carbon fiber, search buffalo composite bikes or bcb,some cool frames
rockchip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 39660
changing the headtube angle from 68 to 72 degrees makes a huge differance. From downhill style, smooth at speed, to twitchy at anything over 5 mph. Not to mention all the other angles and lengths, that one is just the most apparent I think.

The collective writing skills of the PBB is equivalent to a blind down syndrome-afflicted monkey with no hands and epilepsy.
christyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 26216
Send a message via Yahoo to Gummi Bear
There's a couple of custom frame builders here in the area, and after seeing what it really takes to build a frame, I'd not even consider building one without a jig table.

I rode a bike that one of them did and they purposely left a few pieces at wonky angles, just a few degrees can definitely make a huge difference in feel and response.

A custom frame is worth every single penny...
Old 01-23-2007, 09:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 55647
right on guys, I was just wondering. From the responses, and the more I think about it I think its pretty safe to say that I wont be building a frame any time soon. Def. something to keep looking into though. Thanks for the responses guys
Old 01-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8284
http://www.fairing.com/default.asp
DemoMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.