time to upgrade, I need a new rear wheelset. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2002, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 8372
Send a message via Yahoo to darren y
time to upgrade, I need a new rear wheelset.

I've got an older (1990) custom frame hardtail (way to heavy by todays standards) Mtn bike that I folded the rear wheel on a few years ago & replaced it with one off a cheap parts bike that I bought at a police auction just for the rear wheel.

Every time I hid a hard bump or even jump off a curb I tweak the rear wheel, I'm tired of constantly trueing up the spokes, I'm looking for a wider wheel that's made to handle someone my size (250+lbs).

I've heard a lot about Mavic wheels but which one, I also would need the complete hubset, If I remember right its a 7..... (or was it 8?) gearset, I believe all components on the bike are either Shimano DLX or LX.

All recomendations welcome, by the way I'm also looking at purchasing a new/slightly used full size/full suspension bike that won't break my bank account.

Thanks for your advice, Darren Y.
darren y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 743
Darren, Your not asking for much are you?

Ok, MAVIC is great! Not the best, but you dont want to pay for the best either. Mine are 217's or maybee 721's... I forget.

Hubs, If you can afford it you want Chris King hubs. They will handle your wieght with no problems at all and a 10 year warranty!

Make sure your bike shop knows how much you weigh. They can put in extra heavy spokes. But they are about 3.00 each. and they are worth every penny.
My buddy weighs 225 lbs and he hammers like the world will come to an end in 3 seconds..... His wheels are as true as they get. Spend some extra cash this time and your wheel will be interchangeable with your new full suspension bike.

I like my GT LTS1 but is a 1997 and GT is out of business now.
DONT get a GT "I" Drive. You weigh too much and the frames keep cracking.

Gary Fisher anything is good. I like the Sugar model line.
If you go on line in your area their should be some local bike club and they always have stuff for sale. Check out a used something.

Hammer on!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2002, 02:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 8372
thanks for the info!
Old 06-15-2002, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 2029
my bike is built for freeriding, so light weight isnt the most important thing, but strength is, if you want a near bulletproof wheelset, i suggest the mavic D521 with DT HUGI hubs. i am a heavy rider who pounds the trails and have not had any problems or complaints with this set-up. BTW i am over 250lbs, i broke a swingarm in half on my san andreas but the wheelset is great!!

Last edited by RHINO; 06-15-2002 at 04:34 PM.
RHINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 11008
I run Sun 0 rims, built up with straight 15 spokes, with brass nipples. The rims are a compromise of light weight, and reliability. They work awesome for me.
Lap Kitty :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 349
I'm 225lbs and have been running 36 spoke Rhino Lites with Shimano XT Disc hubs for over a year and they've held up great. I built them up with 14g straight spokes with brass nipples. Make sure to get brass nipples! I'm a big fan of the Rhino Lites. My old Mavic 517s used to flex a bit sideways on landings, the Rhino Lites are a lot more solid. You can get them cheap in wheel package deals too.

Last edited by VT_Toy; 06-21-2002 at 08:35 PM.
VT_Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3815
Another vote for the Rhyno Lites...

I've ridden mine on my hard tail for 5 years now. No bends, and I've only had to true 'em once. I'm not free riding or anything like that, just high-speed trail and some technical singletrack stuff. Thing is, I'm 6'4" and 295. I taco'ed 2 sets of doublewall rims before I got my Suns, and I won't ride anything else ever again.
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 8372
Thanks for the info guys, no I just gotta get my lazy but off the PC & go get 'em!!
Where's the best place to go??
Old 07-02-2002, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6764
i like the rynos lites, but on my new giant AC frameset im using ATOMIC LABS TRAIL PIMP 26's disk wheel set and there bomb proof, im ultara impressed, also, sun ringle makes alot more rims than the ryno, go and check there website out made products rock, dont compare to the shit made in taiwan
mjs408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 8372
I just scored a set of rhyno lites!!, off Ebay, 14g spokes & brass nipples, by next week I should have them on my bike!!
Old 07-15-2002, 11:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2802
Location: Would it be Pacific North or Southwest... anyways north of the border
Good score on the rhino lites. They should last if you are not to hard on them (drops less than 3'). If you do kill one, I would recommend a Mammoth rim. I haven't taco'd a mammoth yet. I'm about 280 lbs and beat the living hell out of my bike!

As for a fully, I ride a schwin 4 banger which amazingly hasn't broke. It's a good bike but Schwinn along GT went bankrupt. I would recommend something like a Specialized FSR. My brother has one and he hits almost drop off he sees short of the 8 footers. The bike is nice to ride and has a burly chassis for an all around bike. If it makes a difference, he's about 220 lbs.