need a new bike, I am a fawkin noob - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2007, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
need a new bike, I am a fawkin noob

I don't know shit about ANYTHING currently on the market. I have not rode since 96 or so
what I do know:
I do not like full suspension bikes nor do I need one for what I do.
I need a good strong "beater", I am not a "finesse" rider
I could go to walmart and get a bike but I would fawking HATE it in the long run.
I will be commuting to work on it in all Virgina weather (6 miles)
I will beat on it at lunch on assorted trails.

I am 6'1" 210lbs 34" inseam, I don't want to spend over $500 shipped to me, I would like to spend less.
does this bike bring the suck?
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...0+Bike+05.aspx

You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 18748
Doc, heard some good stuff about the Jamis bikes, but I wouldn't want that bike as a commuter. It only has a 22/32 chain ring setup. You could add the third chain ring, which you will need for commuting at a higher speed, but I still don't think you will be happy with it.

If you plan to commute 6 miles (back and forth??) on a mountain bike your going to at least want a second set of street tires. But frankly I would be shopping for two different bikes. A roadish bike and a mountain bike.

Look used. Craigslist and eBay are your friends. Your going to want some sort of mtb with a front suspension fork to smooth out the terrain and possibly some Avid Mechanical disk brakes to make sure you have stopping power. Keep your eyes open for a used Specialized Hardrock. It should be burly enough for your big size. Or most of the Kona hardtail mountain bikes should be up to the task. Basically at 200+ lbs you might destroy cheap bikes on the trail really quick.

For a commuter again look for an older used fully rigid mountain bike (doesn't need to be burly) and set it up for road duty. Older rigid (no suspension) mountain bikes can be had really cheap. Look for Treks, Specialized, Kona, Gary Fisher, Raleigh heck even Schwinn.

Last edited by bronko; 08-01-2007 at 08:03 AM.
bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 16963
Before you spend a single dollar on a bike, I highly suggest test riding some bikes at your local bike shop. Ride a few different brands and compare them. Just because the frames are the same size, doesn't mean they'll fit the same. If you're not comfortable on your bike, you'll be less inclined to use it.

For your size and budget, I would rule out buying any '08 model year bike. If you buy new, your best bet will be a close-out bike from '07 or earlier. The selection will be very limited, if any store has stock of an XL bike. Still, go to the shops for test rides and familiarize yourself with what's available. Most of the major manufacturers have models with a long legacy. Specialized has used the Hardrock, Rockhopper, and Stumpjumper names for years. So if you see one of these listed in the classifieds, you'll have a better idea of what you're looking at.

Bikes depreciate fast, so used gets big bang for the buck. A $500 budget could buy a $1500 bike that's 3-4 years old.

oh, search around the mtbr.com clydesdale forum for more info. Search $500, cheap.... because most of the bikes which are usually referred cost $2k+ http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Last edited by BruthDoobie; 08-01-2007 at 12:21 PM.
BruthDoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
ok, add on info:

1) I am not buying used or building one sorry no time for another project

2) 6 miles total commute, the bike will be a fun beater and actual trail bike. Oh an I do not mind abusing my self with out having a high gear set for 6 miles a day
3) I don't want a road bike, I will be riding this in the winter as well.

New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 16963
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
actual trail bike
That's the hiccup. Most new current model MSRP $500 bikes don't have components designed to be used on a trail (assuming a real trail, not bike path or dirt road) by a tall +200#'er.

The bike in your link is almost three model years old. The discount is average, but I personally wouldn't be reaching for the credit card yet. You may be too tall for the 18.5" frame. I also have a 34" inseam, and there is no way in hell I could ride an 18.5 on 26" wheels. I would suggest finding a local Jamis dealer and ask if they have the same or current model in stock. Fit and comfort are extremely important. While you're there, ask about close-out inventory. Who knows, they might have that bike in stock for the same or better price. Most shops will include a service package with the purchase of a new bike, so that could be an advantage for buying from a LBS (local bike shop).
BruthDoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
I am going to test ride some tomorrow, hopefully in the same size (BTW the "actual" upper tube would be 24in on that frame)
model age does not bother me, I am not that picky

I have been out of it for a while, so "older" tech does not phase me. I would "like" disk brakes as It will be a 4 season bike.

Most of the threads I have read 200lb+ people are using Jamis Komodo's and frames with good success and they hold up well. I grew up riding and racing BMX and I treat a Mt bike like one when shit is in my way I don't shift a whole hella of lot unless I can not power through it, that and its a flat run to and from work.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 86685
Yeah that bike is not what you want. It's probably too small and not a triple chainring. The components look good to me, those shifters are the best IMO.
s10er8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 18748
Ok you cheap bastard don't listen to me

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....category=4959#

Yes you'll have to put it together, but I guarantee you can build it faster than an AR.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
I am going to test ride some bikes after work today ya fuckers
I will post up choices then

Old 08-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
fuck the fucking lack of shops around here. I aint driving 50 miles to find a friggen bike and NO ONE has last years models..
I did ride an 18" Jamis and it was not to bad, I did not feel cramped.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
what about this in 24" http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Horse-Chi...6092513&sr=1-1

Old 08-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Its actualy between the 2 iron horse's posted. better parts from what I have read.
Now what one

Old 08-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 29385
You're definitly looking at the correct style of bike for your size and intended purpose. I'm 5'-10" at 200lbs and I'm brutal on my bikes. My race bike is a Gary Fisher Supercaliber with mostly XTR and Raceface components, but my other three bikes are all heavy/bombproof components. You don't need a third chainring on a commuter either. My Cove Stiffee has a double with a bashring and my noname commuter has a single and a bashring. The Jamis and Iron Horse are both made in Taiwan so equivalent in quality.(decent) Down here, the BX used to carry Iron Horse so that could be a plus. Any of the bikes you listed would be a good starting point. You may have to change a seat, stem, and bars to get the bike to suit/fit you though.
Incidently, the frame is sized by the seat tube length. For your size, somewhere between 18" to 21" would probably work, depending on the seat tube angle. 24" seems kinda long. With a smallish frame, you can compensate by extending the seat tube. this works fine if you want to keep the weight down, and you only weigh 150lbs. I've bent a few seat tubes. I've never broken one, but I'd guess that would have some pucker factor. At your weight, don't get a smallish frame.

Last edited by Fisheadgib; 08-02-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Fisheadgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheadgib View Post
You're definitly looking at the correct style of bike for your size and intended purpose. I'm 5'-10" at 200lbs and I'm brutal on my bikes. My race bike is a Gary Fisher Supercaliber with mostly XTR and Raceface components, but my other three bikes are all heavy/bombproof components. You don't need a third chainring on a commuter either. My Cove Stiffee has a double with a bashring and my noname commuter has a single and a bashring. The Jamis and Iron Horse are both made in Taiwan so equivalent in quality.(decent) Down here, the BX used to carry Iron Horse so that could be a plus. Any of the bikes you listed would be a good starting point. You may have to change a seat, stem, and bars to get the bike to suit/fit you though.
I removed the Jamis due to some bad (a lot) reviews on the fork and crank breaking.
I have broke 3 piece cranks on a BMX so I know I can sure as fuck do it to some crappy ones on a Mt bike
What one of the 2 listed would be a better deal? They both seem to have good reviews

Old 08-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 29385
You're talking about one model in two different sizes, right? For your size, I would lean towards the 24" if they only make it in two sizes. You might also check out www.mtbr.com to read a few reviews from people that own them. That's probably the best site for reviews on bikes and components.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
You're talking about one model in two different sizes, right? For your size, I would lean towards the 24" if they only make it in two sizes. You might also check out www.mtbr.com to read a few reviews from people that own them. That's probably the best site for reviews on bikes and components.
nope, these 2 (posted earlier)
http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7858/.f# in a 23.5

and
http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Horse-Chi...6092513&sr=1-1 in a 24

Old 08-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 29385
Between those two, definitly the Yakuza Chimpira. Even though it's heavier, it's a much stronger frame with tougher components. The Maverick would probably be ok if you weighed 160 lbs or less, or if you rode like a little girl.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Between those two, definitly the Yakuza Chimpira. Even though it's heavier, it's a much stronger frame with tougher components. .
purchased it. $400 shipped and here by sat.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 4773
Send a message via AIM to 4x4extreme
Here is a place that offers nice starter bikes for the money

http://www.bikesdirect.com/

Some good parts on the bikes but I have read that the frames are not that great and the hubs wear out quick in muddy conditions
#36. If I wanted to drive a foreign 4x I would move to another country.
[color=orange]80 cj 5 104" wb rockwell 16"kings 39.5 tsl[/color]
AND
1995 Hummer H1 Wagon

[SIZE="3"][url=http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhumvee4x4QQhtZ-1]buy my stuff[/url][/SIZE]
4x4extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 28140
Send a message via AIM to Rendered
Hey Doc,

If you don't mind, once you get some miles on that thing, can you throw up a review on it? It is in the price range I'm looking for and would be interested to hear your thoughts on it! Are you going to paint skulls on it
Rendered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:07 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 18748
Quote:
If your getting the one pictured it's a 2005. Be sure to replace the bashguard with a 44 tooth chainring and the 2.4 motoraptors for something a bit more street friendly.

Good price though.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #22 (permalink)
ncl

Member # 3507
Quote:
So, I have similar needs to doc. I'm 6'3", 34" inseam, 255 lbs. Been riding a Gary Fisher Marlin (about 2 years old). The bike isn't holding up very well to my big size (80-100 miles a week). I ride some mild trails and plenty of on road exercise riding when I can't get to the trail. Would a similar bike to doc's purchase hold up to my weight? If not what can you suggest (hardtail please).

Thanks,
Nicholaus

Last edited by ncl; 08-06-2007 at 09:18 AM.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #23 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post
So, I have similar needs to doc. I'm 6'3", 34" inseam, 255 lbs. Been riding a Gary Fisher Marlin (about 2 years old). The bike isn't holding up very well to my big size (80-100 miles a week). I ride some mild trails and plenty of on road exercise riding when I can't get to the trail. Would a similar bike to doc's purchase hold up to my weight? If not what can you suggest (hardtail please).

Thanks,
Nicholaus
The bike should be here today (DHL fucked up the shipment) and it will be going with me to Key West for 2 weeks of beating/main transportation. I will update how it holds up.

Like mentioned before go "test ride" at some local shops and see if they had what you fit. I did it just to get a size refrence

Old 08-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
ncl

Member # 3507
I need to make a trip to some semi-local bike shops. We have one shop within a 60 mile radius and they aren't worth a damn (got my Gary Fisher and an older Trek 4500 through them - they don't even know how the position the saddle correctly )
Old 08-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 29385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncl View Post

Thanks,
Nicholaus
The majority of mountain bikes made are what would be considered "cross country" bikes. They're built for a wide variety of applications, and usually around an average rider weight of about 160lbs. Some brands and designs can handle more but once you get much over 200lbs, you're pushing cross country frames and wheels past their design limits. At your weight, I would definitly focus on a big hit/ freeride style bike like what Doc has purchased.