what bike? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mountain Bikes
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2002, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9647
what bike?

Does anyone have any input on the new Santa Cruz Heckler?
I know it's freeride/x-country. How does it compare to the Santa Cruz Superlight? Santa Cruz's website doesn't have any of the specs for the Heckler yet. How much more does the Heckler frame weigh than the superlight frame? Anyone ridden the Heckler/Superlight? Would the Heckler hold up to drops and jumps better than the Superlight?
thanks in advance......
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1418
It's all in the name...

What part of the name SUPERLITE would make you think it would hold up to big drops BETTER than the Heckler?

I belive the superlite isnt for riders that weigh over 180? .... hows that for another *hint*
Old 07-21-2002, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
DM

Member # 8021
The Superlight was just a Heckler that they took and squeezed out every ounce that they could to get to a target weight. As far as suspension design and frame geometry, they are the same bike unless something has changed recently. Have you ridden either bike? The most important thing I can say is ride everything you can get your hands on. The Heckler has a different ride, personaly I don't like it, even though I think Santa Cruz makes awesome, well designed bikes. Just go with what feels right.

Oh, if you are going to be doing big jumps and drops, don't buy anything that has "light" in the name.

Last edited by DM; 07-21-2002 at 01:46 PM.
DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
DM

Member # 8021
Oh. and one other thing, if you have ridden the Heckler and know you like the ride of the single pivot/pivot placement of that frame, then you might want to check out the Titus Locomoto and the Ventana Pantera. Both of these are high end bikes that are as good as anything out there. Similar design, actually there are others too...Ahhh the choices...Just food for thought.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9647
I haven't rode a heckler, but I rode a superlight briefly. My friend is sponsored by santa cruz for road bikes so he can get me one for 1/3 of retail, for frames at least. I just recently bought a 2002 enduro and added xtr f&r derailluers, azonic bars, thompson stem and a new seat. Planning on selling the enduro to pay for the Heckler..............interested?

Last edited by slug; 07-23-2002 at 01:19 AM.
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6764
You might wanna try a giant AC, it may not be a small company like santa cruz, but i bought an AC frame set and put what i wanted on it, and i couldnt be happier
mjs408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 01:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 12482
Those Giant ACs are sweet. I would get one if I could afford anything but my truck right now. As far as freeride bikes go, I'd say the Intense Uzzi SLX and Giant AC1 are at the top of my list.
Pathmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 6863
I agree with Pathmaker on the Intense Uzzi SLX... I am going to updgrade to the SLX from the SL here soon... A titus Locomoto is not a freeride big hit bike... the frame weighs only 5 lbs, not nearly beefy enough for big hits freeride, Id say its more like a cross-country bike that can handle mild down hill blasts...Its just not designed for big hit/freeriding...

Look more in the direction of the Bullit if you want a Santa Cruz for freeride/big hit...
Old 08-10-2002, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 4342
Send a message via ICQ to Sirachi Send a message via AIM to Sirachi Send a message via Yahoo to Sirachi
My friends went down to Santa Cruz last week, for a warrantied swingarm that was broken on a Super8. I heard that they were very nice guys, good support, and that the heckler is very stiff - even compared to his bullit, which I think is a 01 or 00.

The bullit is a pretty sick frame though, the 02's look nice!