question about mud bog pits - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mud
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 141714
question about mud bog pits

i think my local fairground could draw in alot of people if they held a mud bog as we are centrally located in IN and are mainly a farming area. They run truck pulls and demo derby as there opening and closing events at the fair currently. Then about a month after the fair they have another demo derby.
Im trying to get some info on mud bogs so i can present them my idea.
My question are:
How long are most pits? Im thinking i read that mud drags normally use 150' tracks and last bog i saw seemed to be about 100'.
how much room lenghtwise is needed for run in and run out of the pit? I am not sure of the size of the grandstand area exactly but i would say a 250-300' long and maybe 100-150' wide.
Also how deep are most pits? Im going to guess a couple of feet atleast

If anyone has links to local mud bog rules that would helpful for me to present to the fair board

I may just succeed at this if i present plenty of good info. Last time they changed rules for the demo derby they ran the old set one night and the new set another and went with the one everyone "liked" the best. So enough interest and they might run with it.
I could see them not wanting to dig a gaint mud hole down the middle of the areana but god knows its almost a mud bog during the demo derbys 90% of the time.

"Ugly Betsy"
'85 f250 reg cab/long bed
6.9 IDI/T-19/bw1356
d50 TTB/sterling 10.25
Soon to have a build thread...... Someday

USMC 7051 crash fire rescue :usa:
Fredy_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 56006
Sadly I have to point you to the CMA website....I hate these guys with a passion but they have been around forever...

http://cmamudracing.com

Any questions ask me or tell them Rick Johnson sent you to the site

Myself I would have man up and suck a dick, pretty sure I couldn't make out with a dude.[/QUOTE]
JoshTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2011, 04:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 54478
I would go with a pitt between 150 and 180 foot. Here are the rules that we run by.

http://www.westmichiganmudruns.com/P...ies-Rules.html
cruisers4wdtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
I would use MRA rules - they're a combination of dozens of rules from all over the country. No one group fits them exactly, but they are "workable" almost anywhere. What's more, you're going to find them being used more & more as the years go by - they're already being utilized in several states. www.mudracersassociation.com I would not run ALL the classes though. It's too many & they were never really set up with the idea that any one group would run ALL the classes. Specifically, I would absolutely run Super Street, Super Stock, Renegade, and Open (open it to any tire type). I would also run Street Stock as written, but depending on demand you may or may not want to run a Street Stock B class with a larger tire size.

As for your pit, do not dig a hole. Scrape up dirt from across the arena and build the walls UP. The very bottom of the pit should be level with the arena floor and the walls 3-4' above that. When the race is over, you knock down the walls & spread the mud over the arena to dry out. If you dig a hole, you run the risk of leaving a semi-permanant soft spot in the arena that could mess up future derbies or pulling events.

150' is a good "average" pit length these days, but it's dependent on the size of your arena - you could go longer or shorter depending on space. You need to leave at least the length of the pit for shutdown (do NOT run in the direction of parking or seating), and of course you need room on the starting end for the tractor & cable so you can pull people out. A lot of places with small arenas will have the pullout tractor drive outside the arena (if there's no fence to get in the way) to make up for a lack of space. Your pit should be wet, VERY VERY wet. You don't want standing water, but you want it as wet as you can get just short of that. The more water you can work in from the start, the fewer times you'll have to rework the pit. Additionally, a wet pit is more "fair" in the lower classes so it's not all about luck of the draw, and it's a lot safer in the Open class compared to a drier rutted up pit.

If you're doing a mud DRAG event, you don't need room on the starting end for the tractor, but you need a LOT more shutdown. Some groups run a single Fast Track (drag) lane and a single Pit (bog) lane. If you have space for it, it seems to be a good way to go. If you only have space or the desire to do one or the other, absolutely do the Bog not the drag. It's a much better spectator draw and even the stock classes are fun to watch.

I prefer to mix the show up - run a "hot" class, then a "slow" class, then another "hot" class, etc. If you start at the bottom & work your way up, the classes don't look that much different from one to the next. Plus, you'll have some guys bump up and you run the risk of seeing the same SLOW trucks 2-3 times before anyone fast even gets dirty. If you run fastest to slowest, it's the same issue only in reverse. Plus, when you mix it up, it gives the guys who run multiple classes more time to do tire swaps.
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 108046
Funny this thread came up, Fredy C and I are in the same situation.

Our fair board is looking for something new to try out this year also. So me being involved in the fair and into this sport they kinda turned to me for help. They have an excellent track for tractor pulling and also disc it up for a demo each year. Their crowd hasn't been the best the last couple years, the demo derby scene has kinda died locally too. They run a decent stock tractor pull, but Illini State Pullers put on a pretty good show there so they need to keep the track available for them.

Our track is over 300'ft long where the grandstands area, with probably another 250ft before there is a fence at the end of the property. At least 150-200ft wide, with fence, guardrail, and concrete blocks as a barrier to keep the crowd safe. The last couple years its always rained before the pull or the derby so they have the abiltiy to add/remove dirt as needed.

Here's a couple videos of our track setup, don't laugh its just stock tractor pulling and a really crappy stock class demo derby, but its what we have to work with:

Demo:
http://youtu.be/3ipKzD2mnkM

Pulls:
http://youtu.be/Fa3uhsBDDdw
http://youtu.be/xbUsS1OXDU8
bsfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
For a "fair" event, unless it's a real low budget fair, I'd go with an established sanctioning body to get the best result. The closest group to you is the Overlanders. They've got a race in Peoria on the 16th. You might want to check them out & see what you think of them. They're just one of a number of groups you could use though. PM me if you need more help finding such a group.
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
www.svrehorsepower.com
Old 10-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 45977
The problem with mud bogus around here is getting someone to pay for the insurance.

After the insurance is taken care of its all downhill from there.
twentyfootdaredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 108046
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX View Post
For a "fair" event, unless it's a real low budget fair, I'd go with an established sanctioning body to get the best result. The closest group to you is the Overlanders. They've got a race in Peoria on the 16th. You might want to check them out & see what you think of them. They're just one of a number of groups you could use though. PM me if you need more help finding such a group.
Yeah I have a couple of contacts with those guys to see what they can do for us. I'll have to check with the Peat Monster guys too.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsfarmer View Post
Yeah I have a couple of contacts with those guys to see what they can do for us. I'll have to check with the Peat Monster guys too.
If you're not able to work something out, give me a call. I've put on events in MO, IL, and IN with some pretty heavy hitters showing up for all of 'em.
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
www.svrehorsepower.com
Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 108046
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX View Post
If you're not able to work something out, give me a call. I've put on events in MO, IL, and IN with some pretty heavy hitters showing up for all of 'em.
I'll let you know, the fair board is all farmers (including me) and we are in the fields right now, but come November they will start planning for next year. The fair is usually the last weekend in July.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 108046
Update: Have a group from IN interested in putting on the show and also Overlanders 4x4 are also interested. The fair board is very interested in the idea and will vote on it at their November meeting. In the meantime I will be having more discussions with both clubs and get specific questions and answers before the next meeting.

Im really wanting to make something of this.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 141714
Lots of good information, thanks guys.

I have no involvement in the fair besides the demo derby so i am sure i would have to present it to the fair board somehow. This will help me make some sort of letter up to mail them to present my idea to start with.

The problem i see would be were they would fit it in. Currently they run non sanctioned truck pulls day 1, then they have cheer contest, quad races, heavy horse pulls, rodeo, calf roundup during the week. Then on fri & sat they have the demo derby. Problem is sat is really the big day for the derby and fri alot of guys sit it out. But it might be good to make everyone run the same day

As far as insurance i would assume the fair board would know what it would take. They have to have it for several other motorsports so it would come down to them and the insurance carrier i assume.

"Ugly Betsy"
'85 f250 reg cab/long bed
6.9 IDI/T-19/bw1356
d50 TTB/sterling 10.25
Soon to have a build thread...... Someday

USMC 7051 crash fire rescue :usa:
Fredy_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Yeah, looks to me like you could eliminate one derby day.
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
www.svrehorsepower.com