What's the ingest tire you would run with a np205 t case - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mud
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 173513
What's the biggest tire you would run with a np205 t case

My buddy is putting together a mud truck 460 4 speed np205 transfer case and Rockwell axles he is looking at 63" tractor tires do you think this would be a good setup? The engine is a pretty much stock 460 with cam and intake.

Last edited by cobramustang331; 02-23-2012 at 10:08 AM.
cobramustang331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 123202
How do you plan on geting enough gearing to turn 63s?
mudevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 173513
i was thinking 203 205 doubler
Old 02-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Send a message via Yahoo to Proeliator
You're talking about the setup for a mud truck. Sure, with rock crawling you can gear down and its all good but that isn't what we're talking about here.

Putting giant ass ag tires with a stock motor and trying to compensate with gearing is gay as aids. You've still got to spin those wheels at speed to make them work right in deep mud. I see rigs with giant tires and lift, and a relatively stock motor (usually from Florida) and they can't spin the tires with any sort of speed....its pathetic imo. Not trying to crack on the Florida guys but that's where I usually see this.

So, to answer you question: No, I do not think that is a good setup...its more about making something that "looks cool" over something that could actually have the possibility of kicking ass. Best to leave the "looks impressive but its performance sucks" in the jr. high parking lot.

edit: Here is an example of what I'm talking about. Neither the tard getting stuck or the "hero" pulling him out have the power to really spin their tires. I mean, seriously

LEE STUCK - PULLED OUT BY LOCAL HERO - YouTube

Last edited by Proeliator; 02-23-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Proeliator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 158768
oh hells yes! i'm in
fatdan460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdan460 View Post
oh hells yes! i'm in
My post will probably piss off all the Florida guys, but a little drama always spices up a forum. I'm sure this thread will get linked back to the "chuckstrucks" forum and angry retorts will be forthwith

But the important thing is, I'm 100% fucking right
Old 02-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 173513
Yea I see what your saying We have never built a truck that big but looking forward too looks like he is going to have to build a bigger motor.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 173513
We're trying to get it ready for trucks gone wild at bricks in june so we will see what happens might try to find some smaller tires
Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramustang331 View Post
looks like he is going to have to build a bigger motor.
The good news is that you already have the 460, and its gotten relatively cheap to build nasty stroked 460s. Glad to hear you aren't going to drop the ball in the motor department
Old 02-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 173513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proeliator View Post
The good news is that you already have the 460, and its gotten relatively cheap to build nasty stroked 460s. Glad to hear you aren't going to drop the ball in the motor department
i do have a turbo and a blow through carb i was going to use on a drag car but this might be better.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
GREEN BASTARD!!!

Member # 123458
Well to stir the pot, after going to a tgw event(perry, florida), there are two main lines of thinking. One is huge power and big tires. The other is huge tires and some power. The huge power rips around and tears it up drawing a crowd. Parts are broken too. The huge tires and little power putt around and don't draw much attention while going through most of the same holes. In BOTH cases, one will get stuck in a certian hole and the other will own it. Yes in some spots the tires spinning at 50mph would make it instead of 10mph. Same thing goes the other way. Most the time, tire speed and momentum are key. The down side is the breakdowns. Low power, low speed= less broken parts, but more stuck. On the other end huge power,high speed= less stuck but more broken parts(that =stuck). Now you gotta look at the other side that everyone will get stuck. Do you want it to be from packed tires or broken shafts?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 172875
I'd rather look like a boss when getting stuck then putting into a mud puddle like a pussy.
Gibson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
DWT

Member # 19850
Quote:
You're talking about the setup for a mud truck. Sure, with rock crawling you can gear down and its all good but that isn't what we're talking about here.

Putting giant ass ag tires with a stock motor and trying to compensate with gearing is gay as aids. You've still got to spin those wheels at speed to make them work right in deep mud. I see rigs with giant tires and lift, and a relatively stock motor (usually from Florida) and they can't spin the tires with any sort of speed....its pathetic imo. Not trying to crack on the Florida guys but that's where I usually see this.

So, to answer you question: No, I do not think that is a good setup...its more about making something that "looks cool" over something that could actually have the possibility of kicking ass. Best to leave the "looks impressive but its performance sucks" in the jr. high parking lot.

edit: Here is an example of what I'm talking about. Neither the tard getting stuck or the "hero" pulling him out have the power to really spin their tires. I mean, seriously

The best part about this isn't that its true but the "hero" that pulled the slow-10 out once said the exact opposite as you right here on this forum.

Edit: Here's that same video... http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...&postcount=256

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.

Last edited by DWT; 02-24-2012 at 12:43 AM.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 103621

1982 Toyota 4x4 - [URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774031&highlight="]The Dirt Squirrel[/URL]: Phase II underway: 4.3L CPI, TH350, Toy 2.28/D300 OTT doubler, D60/14B/5.13s, f150 RUFs, artec linked rear, Profender c/o's, 44" Skinny Boggers, fool hydro...

1992 Dodge D350 Cummins tow whore
1979 Toyota Hilux 2wd DD with a 2rz. Turbo coming soon.
the_white_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT View Post
the "hero" that pulled the slow-10 out once said the exact opposite as you right here on this forum.
Yea, I didn't realize that was Inviates truck when I posted that vid. I do remember us getting into it a year or two ago about this very topic. My stance was he didn't have enough motor to make his drive train work in "real" mud; he disagreed. He went out to find some real mud to prove me wrong, and promptly got stuck. To his credit, he posted up the vid and admitted it.

So, I'm not trying to take a dig at him...I thought the hybrid axles he was building were sweet. And, I'm sure with the debate at hand there are plenty of of mud guys who disagree with me.

Even though they're wrong
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 181997
Quote:

Hahahahah... with that power to diameter ratio he'll never even have to wash his rig!

As far as the big power argument goes... it's better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it, that's why it's a pedal and not a button.

Last edited by crs msl; 02-24-2012 at 08:53 PM.
crs msl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 36682
Dan Dibble said it the best, "This is a motorsport and I like to have one".
Old 02-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 158768
at the end of the day i've seen more shit break from low power than i have from big power. low power will bind and snap. big power will spin like a mother, but unfortunately sometimes you hit shit that you just can't spin through, not so much in mud, but it still happens. i'd rather go out spinning like i was looking for china than chug along and snap. imho if shit ain't flying you ain't trying
fatdan460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 175746
Since know one has answered the OP's real question (205 tire size) I'll take a shot at it. I think you will be fine with your current set up however the guys are rite, I'm turning 50" R2's with a 4 speed and 205 with a 300HP 402 BBC and as soon as I get a few extra bucks I will be putting in a new engine. I would like a solid 450hp 450tq motor.
402yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 112785
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramustang331 View Post
My buddy is putting together a mud truck 460 4 speed np205 transfer case and Rockwell axles he is looking at 63" tractor tires do you think this would be a good setup? The engine is a pretty much stock 460 with cam and intake.
iI hope you have 5 ton rockwells if you plan on running 63" tires!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 46318
On the flipside, here is one with some power to spin the big meats.

Matt`s Bounty Hole Run 1-1-10 - YouTube
Old 02-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 12042
Tits
Old 03-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 209855
im gonna run 14.9.24s with my 205 if it breaks woooooooooooooooo its just a toy
ape902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 15354
Send a message via AIM to iniviate
[B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslimfu View Post
Well to stir the pot, after going to a tgw event(perry, florida), there are two main lines of thinking. One is huge power and big tires. The other is huge tires and some power. The huge power rips around and tears it up drawing a crowd. Parts are broken too. The huge tires and little power putt around and don't draw much attention while going through most of the same holes.

this guy gets it...

Quote:
Yea, I didn't realize that was Inviates truck when I posted that vid. I do remember us getting into it a year or two ago about this very topic. My stance was he didn't have enough motor to make his drive train work in "real" mud; he disagreed. He went out to find some real mud to prove me wrong, and promptly got stuck. To his credit, he posted up the vid and admitted it.
actually, what i remember was that i didn't think you could clog up an R2. i was wrong. I'm not sure it matters though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs msl View Post
Hahahahah... with that power to diameter ratio he'll never even have to wash his rig!
hell yeah. bog all day, go the same places as everybody else... and never even get the bottom of your shoes dirty.

plus, when you get home... you don't have to wash as much.

sounds like a win/win to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdan460 View Post
at the end of the day i've seen more shit break from low power than i have from big power. low power will bind and snap. big power will spin like a mother, but unfortunately sometimes you hit shit that you just can't spin through, not so much in mud, but it still happens. i'd rather go out spinning like i was looking for china than chug along and snap. imho if shit ain't flying you ain't trying
the truck in the video is on 72" tires, locked front and rear and has never broken as much as a u-joint in the drivetrain.

not many people can spin a 72" tire like you're talking about. i can tell you this, it doesn't come cheap.... it's real easy for a web wheeler like yourself to sit on the internet and talk shit when it isn't your wallet funding the truck.

now go back to chit chat where you belong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
On the flipside, here is one with some power to spin the big meats.

Matt`s Bounty Hole Run 1-1-10 - YouTube

matt's truck is very impressive.... but those aren't 72" tires. they're two completely different trucks..... and while he might be able to horsepower his way over some holes that i can't, i can go places he can't too.

In this last perry's bounty hole, i got 2nd and his dad got 3rd.... this was his dads run.

Bounty hole, Perry flordia 0ct 2011 - YouTube

no video of my truck, because nobody cares about a big slow diesel.... and I'm ok with that, i didn't build it for anybody but me.

i like matt & buster. both of their trucks are impressive. i hope this doesn't come off as talking shit, cause i didn't intend for it to. i'm just saying there are two ways to go about it.... their way is more impressive for sure.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #25 (permalink)
GREEN BASTARD!!!

Member # 123458
Quote:
Originally Posted by iniviate View Post

no video of my truck, because nobody cares about a big slow diesel.... and I'm ok with that, i didn't build it for anybody but me.
I think i have some footage of you. It is sorta a "hey look over there honey at that truck in the bounty hole. He looks like he is pretty far, how long has he been going?" One hundred percent accurate. Not talking shit, just the way it is. I wish I could figure out how to get my vids from there to youtube. I have them all to a disk in no real order.