Uncle Lester - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mud
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 173636
Uncle Lester

Hey guys/gals. Im shawn from Lac La Biche AB. I'm 22. Ive been cruising this site for a year or two. Ive been following the big block bogger build and other chevy builds. come get some ford boy!. Learned some things, Lots more to learn OMG. Any ways this is my mud truck i bought when I got out of the hospital. I bought it so it would encourage me to learn some fab skills and take my awsome dad out boggin. He's HD mechanic by trade and he's shown me alot with dirt bikes and fixing stuff.

so on to the build. i found the truck a year ago on kijiji for really cheap. and it had some really good guts in it to begin with, saved me time n money. 81 chev 454, 205, 14ff, d60, 4:10 gears. 454, sm465. 44 boggers, 12k warn, 4 big lightforcers, bumper, the deck looks good cuz everybodys got beds i thought this thing looks kinda mean. And it will be when im done..

The way it looked when i bought it.
[IMG]http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss265/1974newport/005.jpg[/IMG

from there I decided to beef up the suspension and steering.
when i got the thing home I went trough it. i discovered that the gears in the 60 were fawked in one spot. so i picked up new ring and pinon set. A year later I SHOULD HAVE done the front and rear in like 4.56 or somthing but o well. There was no front driveshaft which i think led to the gears fawking up, cause my headers have a nasty dent from the shaft comming apart and ya...
I had to beef up the deck with some 2 inch square heavy wall.
I bought Lockers
I bought PSC's hydo assist (what a frigging headache getting the right kit here to canada, they sent me a jeep kit, then my kit went to somewhere to quebec.....
I bought the crossover kit with the high steer arms.
I wanted to do a traction bar for wheel hop.
I bought the B52 kit you guys talk about, got some longer springs for the back, and lift spring for the front.
I wanted to convert the drums to discs in the back for more braking power.
And the shakle flip kit thingy.
81critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 173636
Some fab pics from over a year ago.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 173636
Does sombody also see somthing tweaked here *TO be fixed*

None of the holes Lined up i still used a tape

Moving on to the front. with the lift springs and the height me and dad figured we would have to cut and turn the cs. wow what a lot of work. a grinder, a angle finder and a sledge hammer were our primary tools. some pics of the crossover. Hows it look.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 173636
Ill get more pics in the morning of all what we made. I wish i would have took picture during the process to show yalll. but this it what it looks like today

tri drive winch truck had to rescue me here. 12 k with a snatch block didnt budge me.

Much more to come tommaorow to show the goods.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 158768
i ain't being a dick, and i'm pretty drunk, but i'm getting a deja vu feeling here. can you not find your old thread? i know i've seen all this shit before.
fatdan460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 173636
no thats true can I delete my old one. and stick to showing some real fab and things that i have done and not abandon it like last time. i figured my old one would have been kicked for inactivity. dont mean to step on toes.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 173636
took some more pics today. For your guy's sake i should have documented th build a lil more. but you know how wrenching goes,

So we turned the c's 17 degrees if i recall, re welded the drivers side spring perch. as for the pass side the perch is part of the pumpkin. so we modded it in such a fashion. I hope its not ghetto hack as u guys call it.

front shaft is 1350 tom woods offset at the diff and a 1350 cv that i touched up with the grinder a lil bit. works good i think.

ok so i made a big shim to make the plane level for the springs, then I made a new top plate to compensate for the added height.

Some pics of my first traction bar. i fudged up as you can see. the bars shunk and moved a bit when i welded it. made a new hole on the moon plate. o well lesson learned. works good. I used heims all around with a lil shackle and bushings.

When its warm enough Id really like to box in the frame and the c channel i put in. maby crossmembers and play with putting in dual shocks in the back.

The rear shaft I found stuffed in the cab of a 2 ton grain truck back in the bushes, One in a million find, 1410 at the t case. was 2 inches to long so we cut and welded it back. the splines fit my 1410 slip shaft from high angle drive line. I lucked out there for sure. topped it off with a pinion guard.

Theres no rocks here, just touring the trails and bottomless muskeg up here.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 173636
some other things ive been thinking about once my back surgery is over and it warms up are a RV cam, tweak the motor a bit, ive never touched it yet. maby a bigger carb or one that actually works when i try to tune it.
It has a battleship
msd stuff would be cool. other engine tips and info\recomendations would be appreciaded.

Pretty sure the carb is not as good as it once was cause it spits and spudders. i find i have the pedal the thing a few times to work it up to 4-5 rpm. ill stab the gas and there is some there, ill stab it a again and holy vroom she takes off. shift to 3rd and ya it lack some power there, cuz the gearing i know i know. but 3rd gear 4 high i can cruise on the lake with 6 inches of snow about 50 60 kmh. chew really good if you can find the rpm range it likes. one day i dream of a th 400 when my 465 breaks.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 173636
some vids. at the local mud bogs. left my camcorder with a newb. i dumped the clutch a lil hard. and these are 39.5 skinny boggers. 3rd in the stock class

Dashing through the snow

Old 03-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 147501
Send a message via Yahoo to 77mud
44's and 4.10 gears?

Last edited by 77mud; 03-07-2012 at 04:35 PM.
77mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 173636
yeah thats what its got. coulda shoulda went to 456 or better. Do the vids work?. it builds up pretty fast in 1st and 2nd in ither 4low or high.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 173265
Builds looking good man, sweet starting out with some good parts!
Yeah vids are working, weird seeing snow lol, havent had shit all winter here in ontario. What area of ab are you in, theres a good chance i will be working in the oil patch this season?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
On a pale horse

Member # 12042
Send a message via Yahoo to Proeliator
Uncle Lester....the molester? Hell, my main 4x4s name is SuperBeast, but everybody calls it "The Punisher". Might as well embrace the fact that when people ask about your truck they'll be all "yea man, that's the Molester!"

Food for thought
'73 F250, 533 on N2o, 35spln chromo Superior/CTM D60/D70, twinsticked 205, hydro-assist, f&r lockers, 46" Titan R1s.
Proeliator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 173636
Quote:
Uncle Lester....the molester? Hell, my main 4x4s name is SuperBeast, but everybody calls it "The Punisher". Might as well embrace the fact that when people ask about your truck they'll be all "yea man, that's the Molester!"
Molest the mud holes maby. Theres no rocks for miles n miles. From what ive found out for the skeg is that you gotta pick a gear that you have some real good speed and pedal power, but not smash your head off the window when you do hit the sink hole. ANd when you do get stuck. STOP!!! winchout or back out DONT DIG. Theres no bottom.

Quote:
Builds looking good man, sweet starting out with some good parts!
Yeah vids are working, weird seeing snow lol, havent had shit all winter here in ontario. What area of ab are you in, theres a good chance i will be working in the oil patch this season?
Yea man mud trucks are so cool. I know!! we should have a few feet of it. Never took the sled out. Even if you wanted to a guy could only go on the lake with out breaking stuff. What you do for work man, theres all kinds of demand, skilled and labour jobs 25 hour or better. mostly camp is your only choice. like mine. 21 in 7 out. When of coarse i CAN find the work. I drive Class 1 and dozers. Ive had some crappy jobs, laid off, or got shafted. but its here man.

I really hope to put in another month of work so i can bank some cash before i go under the knife.

I did some work today.
This is my 2nd battery tray for winch only. one side sits on the fender ( the little shark fin peice runs bolt thru and the angle Iron supports it also.To rest on the rad supporrt if you catch my drift. some hacking and fixing to make it better.

The resi for hydro assist. i made the bracket a little high and the overflow tube gets bumped off by the hood when i Slam it. so i dropped it..This is before pic i lowered it a inch.

Heres a pic so you can get a better idea of the pinion angle. Wish i woulda did up a Ford High pinion 60 maby would have been better EH.

Got a rubbing problem on my Spindle/disk whatever you call it. Both sides, Ither my cailpers are seized up or theres mud behind it jamming cockeyed it like that cuasing a small groove i can feel. Via brake shoe

Question: why does napa give two GVW for calipers? for my 3/4. ones like 45-- others like 65-- i dont rembember. But mine are stamped!. IS Bigger Better If i wanna put in a 1 ton proportional valve for the brakes?

Somthings kinda buggered
Old 03-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 173265
I am an operator too, and I have my truck lisence as well. It would be sweet if i could find a company that flys guys out for their week off.

I always have gotten the heavier gvw pads from napa, havent had a problem like that tho, I will look at mine when I am at the truck to compare
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 173636
Yup lots of that going on here, lots of projects put on hold this winter cuase of lack of snow. But ya theres companys that do do that to get the work force out here. Camp life Tho, even for me and I live 2 hours from the boom.

Yea the calipers come from napa in two GVW I wonder Why?. My pads arnt worn out one one side or anything. calipers must be stuck n seized. I finished my battery tray and its solid, sits where it should and inner fender was beat to fit. sucks working in the snow
Old 03-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 173636
So today i took out the bench seat, blew out all the sand and mud, Found $1.46 about time this truck started to pay me back haha. My goal today was to re wire my spotlights so the wiring was hid in my roll bars. And the connections were right and tight.

Before the wires ran in the door jam and that wasnt right cuz they could get cut or somthing, I ran my wires in split loom under the rubber mat more towards the middle of the cab where they wont be seen or messed with.
These roll bars are kinda junk. they fit together with spring pins and are sloppy when its all un bolted from the deck.

Oh and good reason my calipers are all cockeyed and a tad loose, the little shim plates are missing.

Last edited by 81critter; 03-09-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 79629
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81critter View Post

You'd figure after roaming around here for a couple years, you would know better than to post crap like that^^^^

Please report to the ghetto hackjob thread where you belong.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar redneck View Post

You'd figure after roaming around here for a couple years, you would know better than to post crap like that^^^^

Please report to the ghetto hackjob thread where you belong.
what am I missing?
Old 03-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 158768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
what am I missing?
i'm not a real technical guy, but i'm going to say the front lift blocks, the bushing sleeve deal for the traction bar mount more or less just tacked up to a chunk of metal on the frame, and the u bolt plate that i'm not even sure wtf is going on with it. i'm sure there's more, but i'm just going of the three quoted pics.

Last edited by fatdan460; 03-10-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Its a 22 year old kid and a fucking MUD TRUCK. Buncha dicks in here
Old 03-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 158768
Quote:
and then? kiss my ass. you asked, i answered. i didn't talk shit about it, just pointed out what you didn't see.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22176
Quote:
Crap is crap. Doesn't matter how old you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
If you can make wine in a toilet, you can make wine in Texas.
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 173636
On and off yea I only come here to find info. Pokin around to see what i can find. I hate how the search feature has a 45 second limti before you try again. And most of the time picking through info that JUST mentions the topic I'm looking for or just highlights the actually words without any pics or even dead ends.

My dads HD mechanic, he's never done stuff like this and a old timer that's fooled around with 4x4s in the 80s and 90's, knows his stuff. Has really good ideas and taught me and dad a thing or two. I'm just learning. I live in town. It's like I have 40 acres to play in and test. I have to drive it a couple mins outta town to test. And everytime I burry the thing I have to get a tri drive winch truck to pull me out cuz none of my friends have trucks. So I'm doing what I can. Not taking your comment to offense, but Specify WHAT is wrong.

Yea what's ghetto? I had to turn the c's and I had to mod the pass side spring perch which is part of the pumpkin on this 60.

Is the top spring plate wrong? Not strong enough? I made it work with the holes in the diff. I simply made a shim and made the perch higher on the drivers side.
I've checked the bolts and they haven't backed out.

I've tried to use the search thing. Typed in 'turning c's on a Chevy 60' with lots of threads to read and read and read. With not much success relating to pictures so I can visualize how it works. That's the biggest thing for me is I need a picture to see.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Crap is crap. Doesn't matter how old you are.
tell him how to fix it then

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81critter View Post
On and off yea I only come here to find info. Pokin around to see what i can find.
Dude just keep wheeling and fix it when it breaks.