Mud in Spark Plug Holes - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mud
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 740201
Mud in Spark Plug Holes

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. How are ya?

So I have a 2003 F250 with the 5.4, 4x4 (manual) and manual trans, extended cab and long bed, 6" BDS lift on 37" M/T. I just got a rebuilt engine put in because I blew the old one (it was messed up when I bought the truck) but I also noticed a problem after going mudding. When the mud got in the engine compartment, it also got inside the spark plug holes because as you probably know, I have the COP design so the coil sits directly on top of the plug. Is there any way to prevent the mud from getting in there? And is there any way to keep (some) mud out of my engine compartment? Thanks.
keepwheelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 104539
is it a daily driver? do you live where it gets hot when your mudding?

if no to both questions.. Id consider getting some thick tarp or something like it.. and just put it up, under your engine..

also, covering them with cloth, etc.. when u are washing off your engine.. mud OR water messes them up.. been there.. done that..
ArTi54N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2017, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 104539
oh and if it is a daily driver, you might want to consider putting a toggle switch on your (radiator) fan..

Old 03-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 740201
Well it's a daily driver when I'm home and it gets hot but not that hot, never above 85-90 degrees, I'm in Jersey. Also I still have the stock mechanical fan but I'm planning on replacing it with two or so electric fans. Tarp sounds like a good idea, my buddy has a similar thing on his bronco but with mud flaps off a semi. Thanks
keepwheelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
RXT

Member # 493505
If you like mudding, you'll get mud flying around in the engine compartment. You can cut down how much mud gets in the compartment with some strategically placed "shields".

Off the top of my head, many trucks have a huge open space underneath, thats located between the front bumper, and the front of the engine. This is a place where lots of mud tends to enter. This area is exposed to plenty of splash that comes off the tires. Find yourself a sheet of aluminum and fill in that space. This will really cut down on the splash off the front tires. Next, look inside the inner fender wells. On some trucks there can be a gap or space between the inner fender and frame. Sometimes this gap is filled in with a piece of rubber skirt, and sometimes it isn't. If you have these rubber skirts, make sure they are not just flapping or simply hanging. They need to be tight and not give-way. If they can give, they will allow mud to enter the engine compartment from the sides. If you don't have these skirts, you can make some with aluminum, plastic or rubber. Also make sure that they won't melt or catch on fire, as they will probably be very close to the exhaust manifolds.

Radiator opening; This area is a big entry point for mud. Usually mud gets in from splash off the front tires, and also if you submerge the truck deep enough for mud and water to flow in. A simple option is cover the radiator temporarily with a tarp, sheet of plastic, rubber, etc. or cover the grill. This will keep mud from clogging up the radiator and later causing the truck to overheat. You place the cover before going in deep, and then remove it once you're clear. More elaborate methods of protecting the radiator are possible. Anything from building a cover that can be opened and closed from the cab, to relocating the radiator to the bed, are possible.

I've seen some go as far as removing the fan belt for a quick blast thru a mud hole, then put it back on afterwards. Keep in mind that disengaging the fan and covering the radiator will cause the engine to get really warm, really fast. It's a good idea to carry a few gallons of extra water. You can use it to keep your coolant level up, or wash out a clogged radiator, or at least rinse off a windshield.

Ed
Old 03-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 104539
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXT View Post
It's a good idea to carry a few gallons of extra water. You can use it to keep your coolant level up, or wash out a clogged radiator, or at least rinse off a windshield.

Ed
you bring up a good point

an ice chest with rags and of course water is great for removing clumps of mud from your windshield.. what also helps is a long ice scraper (with a long handle) depending on how far you have to reach.. for getting those clumps off..

plus if you drive covered in mud, you need to wash off your lights, turn signals etc...

also if your putting shields underneath, they cant be permanent.. cuz if you need engine work or something.. the shop *or you* needs to be able to remove them for access.. I think this goes without saying, usually, but Ive seen some bad hack jobs.. making holes for zip ties can be an easier way to temporarily secure your (whatever material)..
Old 03-09-2017, 03:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
You can glue the COPs down with silicon. Everything has to be very clean for that to work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.