Tire Size to aim for. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mud
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 40587
Tire Size to aim for.

I'm actually pretty curious. So I just learned that theres two different types of mudders (yes I'm mud ignorant). My question is whats the tire size you guys aim for big tall swamp mudders vs. the mud racers? Some guys actually look like they run 35" +/- tires in the races while others just get the biggest industrial tire they can find and throw it on????

For crawlers its based on the terrain and region we wheel....hows it work for the mudders?
[QUOTE=Dieselmh]I'll cave his fucking head in with a shovel, just to show him that just because he has opposable thumbs, that doesn't put him on the same badassedness level as humans. Stupid arrogant possums. :shaking:[/QUOTE]

Last edited by The Black Sheep; 01-08-2009 at 04:23 PM.
The Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 126868
Mostly all the mud racers are running 35-38 inch TSL's or Boggers on the front. Then they're going with a 39-44 inch bogger on the back. Mostly depending on the class though. Most of the sure enough fast trucks are running the above set-up though.

The big trucks you're talking about are going with pretty much what they're able to get.

Last edited by Ductape_Mechanic; 01-08-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Ductape_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 110057
We chose our tires on the kind of mud we wheel in.And what the average size is around us.It also depends on what you are doin or what your truck is.
EX. a diesel on 5 tons would not be into going fast so probaly a big v tread would be what you would get.
but if you are into speed and racing you would want a small(38)" bogger or something simmaler.

We do not have lots off tourque so we chose a non v tread tire,as do many people around us.So we chose the interco iroc and since our friends had 44" plus tall tires,we went with 49s to have a little bit of an edge on them.

P.S
We play on muddy trails and thick mud.And amost no competition and if there is never any money to be won.
DECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 126674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductape_Mechanic View Post
Mostly all the mud racers are running 35-38 inch TSL's or Boggers on the front. Then they're going with a 39-44 inch bogger on the back. Mostly depending on the class though. Most of the sure enough fast trucks are running the above set-up though.

The big trucks you're talking about are going with pretty much what they're able to get.
mud race=39.5 bogger rear, 38.5x11 front.

One ton= 18.4x 16.1 vtread, 45 inches tall

2.5 ton= 16.1s-14.9x24 r1s

2.5 ton with upgraded axles= 14.9x24 r2s-18.4x26 r1s

5 ton=18.4x26 r2s- 23.1x26 r2s
Rockcrawlonthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 105299
Send a message via MSN to big giant head
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Sheep View Post
I'm actually pretty curious. So I just learned that theres two different types of mudders (yes I'm mud ignorant). My question is whats the tire size you guys aim for big tall swamp mudders vs. the mud racers? Some guys actually look like they run 35" +/- tires in the races while others just get the biggest industrial tire they can find and throw it on????

For crawlers its based on the terrain and region we wheel....hows it work for the mudders?
Use the tire that is appropriate to your drivetrain and what you can afford. Nothing worse than seeing agricultural tires on samurai axles for fuck sakes. I still would like to drive my truck wherever I go instead of trailering it around. I think the big 66inch tractor tired clusterfucked 4 link cradling pile of shit death traps have their place and it is in Florida. I don't Understand what is wrong with people and their fascination with swapping your tires to smaller ones just to get it around legally on a trailer for fuck sakes.

I think that is what gives mudding such a bad name is these redneck fucktards who build massive trucks so high that you need a stepladder to get in it. If the holes are that deep then stay the fuck out of them or save you're money and buy a boat....
Old 01-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 126868
All depending, I know the Samurai axles are pretty strong. Depending on the amount of abuse you're putting them through, 1.3-1.6 in it, a stock axle will work with 44" tires. Saying you're just playing in mud. Usually the drivetrain WILL hold up.

Driving the truck every where would be nice. Although, for the mudders the lift laws stand in the way of that, plus, you've always got the chance of something serious breaking. I do agree with being able to drive the truck back and forth would be great, though.

The boggers build trucks to go through deep holes, just like you all build trucks to go over 'big' rocks. The deeper the pit the better for most of the mudders. Thats just the general thought.

Last edited by Ductape_Mechanic; 01-08-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 105299
Send a message via MSN to big giant head
Quote:
All depending, I know the Samurai axles are pretty strong. Depending on the amount of abuse you're putting them through, 1.3-1.6 in it, a stock axle will work with 44" tires. Saying you're just playing in mud. Usually the drivetrain WILL hold up.

Driving the truck every where would be nice. Although, for the mudders the lift laws stand in the way of that, plus, you've always got the chance of something serious breaking. I do agree with being able to drive the truck back and forth would be great, though.

The boggers build trucks to go through deep holes, just like you all build trucks to go over 'big' rocks. The deeper the pit the better for most of the mudders. Thats just the general thought.

I know what you are trying to say man but I do not rock crawl let me get that straight. You were making sense right up to the 44"s on samurai axles ( Dude Seriously???) But to each is own, Myself trail driving is what I like to do not rocks either. But whats the Fascination with going up???
Old 01-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 126868
Just the bigger the better. I'm not sure why we're (and I say we, because I love the sport aswell) fascinated with bigger trucks.

I was saying, the axles will hold up with 44's. Thats saying you're not hitting anything hard. Basically the mentality of a mudder is to build a BIG truck with plenty of power or a light truck (small truck, zuk's, yota's) keeping them as light as possible with very little power and a bigger tire (44's or so) to help make up for the power. However, mostly everyone in Florida is running an upgraded axle.

When I say 44's, I'm talking, TSL's/Boggers, by the way.

Last edited by Ductape_Mechanic; 01-08-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 42591
I'm running 40" boggers.. I'd love to have 44's just because a few of the trucks at the mud pits have 44's and getting caught in their ruts would suck..
Old 01-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 48292
Quote:
Mostly all the mud racers are running 35-38 inch TSL's or Boggers on the front. Then they're going with a 39-44 inch bogger on the back.
do these trucks run 2wd? how do they get away with running bigger tires in the rear?
slightdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 126868
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightdrift View Post
do these trucks run 2wd? how do they get away with running bigger tires in the rear?
They are 4WD.

Thats an example I was able to dig up.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
xrm

Member # 99833
Send a message via Skype™ to xrm
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightdrift View Post
gearing

as far as tires
we have 4 different sets of tires of different styles for our mid size mud truck depending on what we our doing from 33's to 40's
xrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 55817
Staggered tires requires staggered gearing. Most faster trucks actually have the front tires spinning slightly faster than the rears. (allowing for the staggered tire sizes also) Common around here for the more bogging type of trucks for example is to run 4 same size tires and 4.10 in the rear and 3.73 in the front. Just a rough example.

On my truck I run the same gears front and back, but my paddles in the rear are 36" tall, and my front cuts are 40" tall. That gives a really good stagger between the front and the rear.
deranged1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 15426
I would imagine its done using different gear ratios front and rear to compensate for the tire size differences.
datz510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
All depends on what you're doing with it. If it's competition, there are various classes. For Fast Track mud drags, there usually aren't any different tire SIZE rules from class to class, just rules on different types. For deep mud competition, the small tire classes usually have the most restrictions on what you can do to the truck. By the time you get to the 40" class, you're up against 900HP lightweight rigs, so the guys who can't afford that much power (like me) stick to one of the smaller tire classes (37" max for my class with 13" of manifold vacuum at 800 RPM required).

For a play truck, you're going to want tires as tall as you can possibly fit. There's always debate about tall & fat vs. tall & skinny. But, there's no debate that tall & skinny beats the snot out of short & fat. So, if you have to go narrower to make room for more diameter, it's definitely the way to go.

edit: BTW, the Wild Turkey truck above is an MRA Outlaw Pro Stock. Most in that class will run 35's or smaller in front (I know of one running 28's) with 44's in back. They are all definitely 4wd, but the rear tires do 95% of the "driving", especially when the fronts are in the air.

TEX
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com

Last edited by TEX; 01-08-2009 at 06:48 PM.
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 161111
hell my friend threw on 3 different sizes of tractor tires and he kicked everyones ass. that's what i'm gonna be doin next year for sure
Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 164912
I picked my tires (14.9 r2s) because they are IMO a decent all around tire for bogging and racing, plus didn't want a big tire
Old 11-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 93989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mall Crawler View Post
hell my friend threw on 3 different sizes of tractor tires and he kicked everyones ass. that's what i'm gonna be doin next year for sure
You bumped a nearly three year old thread for that?
Lucky_Thirteen is offline   Reply With Quote