what motor yalls running - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mud
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 102365
Location: cottonwood ca
Posts: 1,171
what motor yalls running

i know that 99% percent will say sbc or bbc
but what power plant do yous guys use
if i ever find some 5 ton rocks i will build a 54 willys pickup mud truck
and i am debating on a ford big block or a chevy
pics welcome
__________________
MOLON LABE
urbanmuddboger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 126680
Posts: 78
514, Thank the Lord for the Big Block Ford!
IDIeselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Big79'Terry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Member # 63730
Location: Pacific N.W.
Posts: 1,034
Big Block FOMOCO

429:d
Big79'Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 102365
Location: cottonwood ca
Posts: 1,171
i am also a ford guy and i am buliding a pre smog 460 that i hope will have 650 to 700 horse(well that is the goal) but i am a cheap bastid and i can get 429s and 460s pretty cheap (i own a scrap yard)
i have herd some people combinieing the 460 and 429
i think is like this a 429 block and 460 crank then bore the block like .120 thou
and get a 535
am i corect ?
__________________
MOLON LABE
urbanmuddboger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
TEX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Member # 603
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 7,786
Just a little ol' 408" SBC, 234/244 cam, Performer RPM, & an 800 Edelbrock in a 1980 Toy longbed with Q78 TSL's & 35X10.50 Boggers.
__________________
www.probog.com
Thanks to:
www.heiseroil.com
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Member # 64075
Location: Northeast Florida
Posts: 1,141
Ive got a 514cid working on building a 545cid .....
1tonF100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
Kenny714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member # 34803
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 352
Roller 460 with a cam and some other stuff. And the best mechanic money can buy.



Kenny714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 126680
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmuddboger View Post
i am also a ford guy and i am buliding a pre smog 460 that i hope will have 650 to 700 horse(well that is the goal) but i am a cheap bastid and i can get 429s and 460s pretty cheap (i own a scrap yard)
i have herd some people combinieing the 460 and 429
i think is like this a 429 block and 460 crank then bore the block like .120 thou
and get a 535
am i corect ?
IIRC The only difference between a 429/460 is the crank and location of the pin in the piston, I know for sure The 545 stoker kit fits no problem, no clearancing required. .120 is way too much without sonic testing and would be very rare to accomplish due to core shift in the castings, 0.060 is max before testing.
IDIeselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God
 
82F100SWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Member # 15263
Location: Dryden, Canada
Posts: 2,150
Send a message via ICQ to 82F100SWB Send a message via AIM to 82F100SWB Send a message via MSN to 82F100SWB Send a message via Yahoo to 82F100SWB
Currently running a pretty mild 460, I intend to go 521 or something along those lines... But with this years current lack of a budjet, and the fact that the 460 is wounded, I may be dropping a 6.9 in there because A)I have it and it runs great and B)it's better than walking....
__________________
96 F350 XL CC PSD/5 speed 4x4... Family hauler in the making
92 W250 LE, CTD/5 speed 4x4, tow pig/DD/snow pushin pig
86 F250... 460/T19/1345/D60/welded 10.25, 44 Boggers, reg cab, some junk... Build
82F100SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 126680
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82F100SWB View Post
Currently running a pretty mild 460, I intend to go 521 or something along those lines... But with this years current lack of a budjet, and the fact that the 460 is wounded, I may be dropping a 6.9 in there because A)I have it and it runs great and B)it's better than walking....
The 6.9 would be a bolt in swap for the 86 And with a little massaging WILL outrun a 1st gen stroke,While remaining NA.

Last edited by IDIeselman; 01-09-2009 at 04:10 PM.
IDIeselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Member # 124487
Posts: 2
Talking

18 degree 565 bbc, chevy luv
shanelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 126988
Posts: 56
I just built a new 400 (Ford) for my 78 F150.

.040 bore (410 cid)
TimMeyer pistons (9.5:1)
ARP Bolts
Comp XE262H
Crane Roller Rocker arms
Headman Headers
Weiand 8010 intake
Edel 750 cfm

Its not a BBF but its a fun little motor so far, TONS of torque!!
wyazel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 126932
Posts: 23
638 c.i. ford
mightydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 102365
Location: cottonwood ca
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIeselman View Post
IIRC The only difference between a 429/460 is the crank and location of the pin in the piston, I know for sure The 545 stoker kit fits no problem, no clearancing required. .120 is way too much without sonic testing and would be very rare to accomplish due to core shift in the castings, 0.060 is max before testing.

many blocks can be bored to 4.500"...put in a 4.500" stroke crank and it makes a 572" engine for just under $3K...can ya do that with a stock block Chevy? (Answer: NO. And by the way, the 460 block does NOT need to be clearanced to do this.

i found this here there is some good info on the DOVE blocks and heads as well
http://www.clubhotrod.com/forums/arc...hp?t-9134.html
__________________
MOLON LABE
urbanmuddboger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 126680
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmuddboger View Post
many blocks can be bored to 4.500"...put in a 4.500" stroke crank and it makes a 572" engine for just under $3K...can ya do that with a stock block Chevy? (Answer: NO. And by the way, the 460 block does NOT need to be clearanced to do this.

i found this here there is some good info on the DOVE blocks and heads as well
http://www.clubhotrod.com/forums/arc...hp?t-9134.html
There are 2 falsehoods in the write up, One being deck heighth, The worst being, Many blocks can be bored to 4.500"...put in a 4.500" stroke crank and it makes a 572". It's VERY VERY rare to find a factory block that will safely bore .140 to make the 4.500 bore. Any factory block should be sonic checked for any bore .060 or over, I have seen block's that could easily go .080 finish bore/4.440 for a 557 stroke, and have also found a very few that won't bore .030. The general builder rule is anything over .060 must be checked. I am in no way Calling you out on this, I would really hate to see someone come on here and read this just to go for it and lose a years savings for a engine build. There is alot of good info on that link
IDIeselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 126932
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIeselman View Post
There are 2 falsehoods in the write up, One being deck heighth, The worst being, Many blocks can be bored to 4.500"...put in a 4.500" stroke crank and it makes a 572". It's VERY VERY rare to find a factory block that will safely bore .140 to make the 4.500 bore. Any factory block should be sonic checked for any bore .060 or over, I have seen block's that could easily go .080 finish bore/4.440 for a 557 stroke, and have also found a very few that won't bore .030. The general builder rule is anything over .060 must be checked. I am in no way Calling you out on this, I would really hate to see someone come on here and read this just to go for it and lose a years savings for a engine build. There is alot of good info on that link
on any of stock big block .060 is max 545 combo works perfect 557 runs hot and can be worse if block aint that thick anything bigger than that run motorsport a460 or eliminator products they 3 different blocks all can safely go 4.600 and all blocks will go 4.750 stroke stock /motorsport / asnd eliminator
mightydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 103250
Location: milton-freewater, oregon
Posts: 120
im runnin a stock 351M with premium gas and about 4 bottles of octaine booster. she runs like a raped ape
83kingcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God
 
82F100SWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Member # 15263
Location: Dryden, Canada
Posts: 2,150
Send a message via ICQ to 82F100SWB Send a message via AIM to 82F100SWB Send a message via MSN to 82F100SWB Send a message via Yahoo to 82F100SWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIeselman View Post
The 6.9 would be a bolt in swap for the 86 And with a little massaging WILL outrun a 1st gen stroke,While remaining NA.
I still have my complete former DD/Tow pig kicking around(an identical speced 86...) I'm debating putting the good axles under it, or swapping the engine over... Either way, with the Banks non gated kit I used to have on it(I was pushing 18 psi,) it ran pretty good, would a stock 6.0 a hell of a run until I ran out of RPM, BUT it's IP isn't exactly stock.... LOL While I no longer have the old Banks kit for it, I am thinking maybe it needs parallel twins for shits and giggles...
Only thing that sucks is that while I am not serious about racing, the place where I do race once a year, I think even with the Banks kit on it I would have been stuck in open because it was turboed...
__________________
96 F350 XL CC PSD/5 speed 4x4... Family hauler in the making
92 W250 LE, CTD/5 speed 4x4, tow pig/DD/snow pushin pig
86 F250... 460/T19/1345/D60/welded 10.25, 44 Boggers, reg cab, some junk... Build

Last edited by 82F100SWB; 01-09-2009 at 09:18 PM.
82F100SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 102365
Location: cottonwood ca
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIeselman View Post
There are 2 falsehoods in the write up, One being deck heighth, The worst being, Many blocks can be bored to 4.500"...put in a 4.500" stroke crank and it makes a 572". It's VERY VERY rare to find a factory block that will safely bore .140 to make the 4.500 bore. Any factory block should be sonic checked for any bore .060 or over, I have seen block's that could easily go .080 finish bore/4.440 for a 557 stroke, and have also found a very few that won't bore .030. The general builder rule is anything over .060 must be checked. I am in no way Calling you out on this, I would really hate to see someone come on here and read this just to go for it and lose a years savings for a engine build. There is alot of good info on that link
can you descibe "sonic testing"
i see were you are coming from
i am not an engine builder by no means but i am going to start building one so it looks like i need to be schooled
aslo would you say that going .060 over would be reliable(15 to 20 thousand mile engine life)
or would you go smaller
__________________
MOLON LABE
urbanmuddboger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Member # 123642
Location: Hibbing MN/Marquette MI
Posts: 159
wow pretty good showing of ford big block guys here, Stock 460 for me, maybe 514 one day...
Broke_as_a_joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Member # 65969
Location: jarvisburg, NC
Posts: 103
stock ol 460 with a big cam in my junker and a sbc pushing around 600hp in my s10 blazer
__________________
-2001 f-350psd,-85 s10 blazer-sbc, 3/4t axles-74 Ford crew cab-85 yota- 63"'s, boggers
cool_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member # 37865
Location: Nevada
Posts: 2,192


486 ci ford, A-heads, 12:1, big roller cam, aluminum rods, forged crank, dry sump, Littlefield 14-71 delta plate supercharger, enderle bird catcher, on alky,




Yeah it's mostly stock.
__________________
[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"]Project: Monster Buggy[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[url]http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615419[/url]
skipped_Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Member # 105299
Location: Nova Scotia,Canada
Posts: 323
Send a message via MSN to big giant head
Stock 460, see how it works, maybe a mild build in the near future




Not to hijack but to everyone running the 460, how many run standard or auto?
__________________
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
big giant head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Member # 79629
Location: Canby O.R.
Posts: 488
Stock 360. Sit her at 6 grand and she'll work all day.
__________________
[QUOTE=Boheefus;9710026] I breathed a huge sigh of relief. I felt like the catcher at an all anal bukkakke party.
[/QUOTE]
mopar redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Member # 125525
Posts: 13
509 BBC Eagle rotating assembly, roller cam, rectangular port heads, and a q-jet carb.
m1a1abram is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.