Big or small??!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mud
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 125564
Big or small??!!

I have finally colected more then enough parts to build a comp. truck.. Nothing outragous, but a st. s class.. But my question is.

What is the best/ cheapest way to go for motor? I have quite a few rebuildable SBC's, as well as a 454, with performer cam, intake and carb with a set of headman headers.... I am going to tear down either one and do a once over (no machine work needed in either the bottom ends).

I know that a SB can rev alot quicker, and is lighter, but there is always that crowd that says there is no replacement for displacement.

If I run my BB I can run higher gears (3.73's) and still have the power to run, but all the local (ford boy's) suggest a small block because they will wrap up tighter.

insert input.
kymudhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 122868
what size tires?
what t-case?
what tranny?

should be a fun build
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 125564
38's, TH350 with NP205
Old 07-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 124760
Smile Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymudhunter View Post
What is the best/ cheapest way to go for motor?
SBC

All we run are well built SBC's and hang with the BB's all day long

That's how we roll

[QUOTE=MUD SLUT;12001456]
As they say, "Ain't no party like a Trucks Gone Wild party, cause a Trucks Gone Wild Party just don't stop!!!"[/QUOTE]
Train Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 128238
This should be a fun build.
LegendKiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 41097
Send a message via MSN to mustange70
if your running anything deep you'll want the big block, espically with the auto, cause if you grab a gear then have to drop back, the small blocks don't typically have the tq to get shit moving again.

Hardgrass Havoc It'll only be bigger, better, & tougher next year
mustange70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 138463
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustange70 View Post
if your running anything deep you'll want the big block, espically with the auto, cause if you grab a gear then have to drop back, the small blocks don't typically have the tq to get shit moving again.
I agree, small block ain't gonna cut it if the mud is thick and deep. I had a sbf for many years but after I went to the bbf, I saw the light!! My BBF is built up alot more then my sb was but my 532 revs up WAYYY faster then the sb ever could, but I also have the right parts to make it happen.
Hillbilly Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Kinda depends. Say a 406" smallblock vs. a 427" big-block, I'd go mouse all the way. If it's 350 smallblock vs. 509" big-block.......

See what I'm getting at?

Maybe more important at this point is to pick the right TRUCK. I see more '73-'87 GM longbeds than just about anything else at the races, and they're probably among the worst possible choices due to the weight of the things. Toss in the 3/4 or 1-ton running gear that's pretty much a requirement on a truck that heavy, and now you have the handicap of too much weight AND too little ground clearance. Shortbeds & Blazers are much lighter, older (pre '73) & newer (post '87) body styles are also lighter, and mini-trucks & Jeeps are WAY lighter (though not always permitted in some of the lower classes with V8 swaps).

My advice, don't turn a wrench until you have a solid PLAN in place.
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 125564
I have the choice of either a short bed, of long bed (circa 73-87). I am leaning more towards the long bed though. The short bed are more popular around here, but when running 300 FT, in the rough, they can get a little squirrly.. But I didn't really think of the weight difference. I will keep that in mind, thanks for the input.

as far as engine comparison, it's either a MILD 454, or gonna be a MILD 350.. nothing major until I see a reason for it. Just trying to get my feet muddy at the moment. Thanks for all the input fella's.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 138463
if both are mild, then you might as well go for the bigger cubes. Anything that can be done to a small block for big power numbers, can be done to a big block for absolute insane power numbers.
Weight is definitly a factor that needs to be looked at. If 90% of the other trucks are the same long bed style trucks, then it might not be a big deal, but you start gettin into the higher classes and it becomes a huge factor in winning or losing.
Hillbilly Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 41097
Send a message via MSN to mustange70
on thing i see a lot of guys do with long bed truck is gut all the inner panels out of the body skins, this in itself will loose a couple hundred pounds in itself. Another thing thats done is bobtailing the rear, as in choppin everything off at the rear shackle mounts.

Hardgrass Havoc It'll only be bigger, better, & tougher next year
mustange70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 125564
I don't plan on getting into the pro stock, or even modified classes.. Of course, When I built my trail truck I didn't plan on having tires bigger then 35's on half ton gear. But now I'm at 42's on 1-ton's. So I know that eventually I will want just a little more. I believe that I will go with the big block... To compensate for the slower revving motor, I will be able to run high gears in the axel.. (3.73's I reckon).

On another note, I know that in a perfect world I would have a TH400 to run behind it... but I don't. Any pointers on making my TH350 survive? I already have an aftermarket trans cooler. any other suggestions? as far as kit's or certain stall ratings? Thanks in advance.

Also, by chance does anyone know of a good sight to do more research on for a strictly mud truck?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Go with the shortbed. 117" is plenty long. And I'd do the big-block.
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
www.svrehorsepower.com
Old 07-14-2009, 06:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustange70 View Post
on thing i see a lot of guys do with long bed truck is gut all the inner panels out of the body skins, this in itself will loose a couple hundred pounds in itself. Another thing thats done is bobtailing the rear, as in choppin everything off at the rear shackle mounts.
Gotta be careful with that stuff or you'll wind up in a class with these guys:

Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
www.svrehorsepower.com