tractor tires or not - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mud
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 20610
Send a message via AIM to gotmuddy Send a message via Yahoo to gotmuddy
The only downside I can see is when you get stuck you get REALLY stuck

I have a set of 23.1x26 combine tires that I intend to use whenever I get around to building my truck
gotmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 128238
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmuddy View Post
The only downside I can see is when you get stuck you get REALLY stuck
Ya think?
If you are getting stuck with tractor tires there is no way your gonna make it with anything else either.
LegendKiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #28 (permalink)
On a pale horse

Member # 12042
Send a message via Yahoo to Proeliator
Quote:
Originally Posted by iniviate View Post
i've seen poeple run them on 16" wheels, but i don't know if it's safe or not.
16.1s are perfectly safe on a 16 rim. This is because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjtony View Post
there is no difference in a 16 truck tire and a 16.1 tractor tire as far as rim goes.
Is the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidr View Post
I don't know how true it is, but I was told by a tire rep once upon a time that the .1 was meant to deter people from non DOT tractor tires, on light trucks and such. Kind of an instant acknowledgement that it wasn't DOT.
I've heard the same thing. Don't know the truth behind it; but having mounted 16.1s on 16" rims and not detecting any difference, I suspect its probably true.

However, let me address the original question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjake View Post
I got a set of 15.50R38 any body run these? I am runnin 2.5 rocks with 49s is it worth the hassle to switch? They are about 62 inch tall and about 16 wide how much more power will they use?
Ag tires of that size take ALOT of power to make them work correctly. What is the hp/tq output of your motor? For example, my old motor was right about 600hp and in the 500s for tq, but I barely had enough power to make 44" boggers work correctly. Something to consider before you make the swap. If its just for trail riding its one thing, but if you do deep mud you need the appropriate hp to make an aggressive tire like that work. With the comparatively narrower width and tread pattern they will tend to dig instead of float so its something to keep in mind.
'73 F250, 533 on N2o, 35spln chromo Superior/CTM D60/D70, twinsticked 205, hydro-assist, f&r lockers, 46" Titan R1s. Videos: bad ass ford - YouTube Bad Ass Ford2 - YouTube

Last edited by Proeliator; 08-03-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Proeliator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 15354
Send a message via AIM to iniviate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proeliator View Post
Ag tires of that size take ALOT of power to make them work correctly. What is the hp/tq output of your motor? For example, my old motor was right about 600hp and in the 500s for tq, but I barely had enough power to make 44" boggers work correctly. Something to consider before you make the swap. If its just for trail riding its one thing, but if you do deep mud you need the appropriate hp to make an aggressive tire like that work. With the comparatively narrower width and tread pattern they will tend to dig instead of float so its something to keep in mind.

i completely disagree about needing horsepower to make a tractor tire work. they're self cleaning. they were desgined to be used on tractors. how many tractors do you see slinging mud?

i have a bone stock engine that had 300hp 295,000 miles ago when it was new.... i can go anywhere anyone with a similar sized tire can go.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 131035
Hey iniviate I was wondering about the 6.0 and how it did with the big meats and what gears you had in the tcase. The thing about v treads is that the voids are so far apart the mud has nothing to stick too. I'm running big block that makes some pretty good power nothing crazy though but it gets the job done with 49s. Well hell proeliator if you got 600 hp and you can barely get 44 boggers to work than I would say 80% of the people running 44 boggers cant make them work. How many people have 44 boggers and 600 hp.
farmerjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #31 (permalink)
On a pale horse

Member # 12042
Quote:
i completely disagree about needing horsepower to make a tractor tire work. they're self cleaning. they were desgined to be used on tractors. how many tractors do you see slinging mud?
Totally different application, you're comparing apples to oranges. Its about the power required to spin those tires at 6k when your in gumbo high clay content mud up to your axles.

Quote:
Well hell proeliator if you got 600 hp and you can barely get 44 boggers to work than I would say 80% of the people running 44 boggers cant make them work. How many people have 44 boggers and 600 hp.
That's exactly my point.
'73 F250, 533 on N2o, 35spln chromo Superior/CTM D60/D70, twinsticked 205, hydro-assist, f&r lockers, 46" Titan R1s. Videos: bad ass ford - YouTube Bad Ass Ford2 - YouTube
Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 15354
Quote:
Totally different application, you're comparing apples to oranges.
how so?

you said...

"Ag tires of that size take ALOT of power to make them work correctly."

i said...

"i completely disagree about needing horsepower to make a tractor tire work. they're self cleaning."

Quote:
Its about the power required to spin those tires at 6k when your in gumbo high clay content mud up to your axles.
crap.... i guess i'd better stop out pulling big HP trucks in thick mud then.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #33 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 23262
I know several people who are running stock 6 cylinders and tractor tires, I guess that I better not tell them that they don't work so that they can keep using them blissfully.

Gus

--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #34 (permalink)
On a pale horse

Member # 12042
Quote:
crap.... i guess i'd better stop out pulling big HP trucks in thick mud then.
Let me guess, with your stock geo metro that can go anywhere anybody else does with the same size tires, right?

If you cannot figure out the difference between how an ag tire is used at low speed/low rpm in a field on a tractor, versus an ag tire spinning at 6k rpm in deep mud on a 4x4; there isn't any hope for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post
I know several people who are running stock 6 cylinders and tractor tires, I guess that I better not tell them that they don't work so that they can keep using them blissfully.

Gus
You'll notice in my original response I made the distinction between usage and that low hp and ag tires work perfectly fine for trail running. The high horsepower usage was made in reference to mod bogging, especially since he's wanting to use 62" tires.

Or are you telling me the guys you know running stock six cylinders and ags are running 60"+ tires as well? I don't think so.

Last edited by Proeliator; 08-03-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 15354
Quote:
Let me guess, with your stock geo metro that can go anywhere anybody else does with the same size tires, right?

yep.... here is my geo.

/forum/mud/804616-00-gmc-5-tons-62-v-treads.html

asshole.

Quote:
If you cannot figure out the difference between how an ag tire is used at low speed/low rpm in a field on a tractor, versus an ag tire spinning at 6k rpm in deep mud on a 4x4; there isn't any hope for you.
come show me.

i'll pull you out when you get stuck.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 15354
Quote:
You'll notice in my original response I made the distinction between usage and that low hp and ag tires work perfectly fine for trail running. The high horsepower usage was made in reference to mod bogging, especially since he's wanting to use 60"+ tires.

Or are you telling me the guys you know running stock six cylinders and ags are running tires that big as well? I don't think so.

my truck is on 62" R2's and has a bone stock motor down to the paper air filter...

edit: gotta run out for a minute... i'll be back in about 20 minutes. please work on a good reply.

Last edited by iniviate; 08-03-2009 at 08:16 PM.
iniviate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
On a pale horse

Member # 12042
Quote:
It all makes sense now.

Its even more clear why you claim you don't need the power

The OP can choose to heed my advice, or not. My only point is that if he's jumping from 49" iroks to 62" ags and if he uses his rig for mud bogging; gearing only gets you so far...you need the power to make them work in that specific environment.

P.S. You hurt my feelings by calling me an asshole. I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight

edit:
Quote:
gotta run out for a minute... i'll be back in about 20 minutes. please work on a good reply.
Naaa, not worth my time, not in here at least. Every time I come into the mud forum its like I just stumbled into the special ed class by mistake and I have to take a second look to make sure I'm actually at Pirate.

Last edited by Proeliator; 08-03-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #38 (permalink)
^Hates Liberals

Member # 80854
Ive ran both Dot's and Tractors, and I can tell you that its a night and day difference. I currently run 49" V-treads and have no problem putting them up against a 54" bogger. I dont see why people would pay so much money for a DOT tire, just to put it in the mud.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 15354
Quote:
It all makes sense now.

Its even more clear why you claim you don't need the power

The OP can choose to heed my advice, or not. My only point is that if he's jumping from 49" iroks to 62" ags and if he uses his rig for mud bogging; gearing only gets you so far...you need the power to make them work in that specific environment.
yadda yadday yadda.... except you don't have 60"+ tires, or even AG tires, yet you're the expert on them? lol. okkkk.

the FACT is that i have EXACTLY what you claim can't work and it works just fine and will go the same distance as anyone with HP and 60" tires will. it won't be the fastest, but it's not getting stuck very often either. it's not a mud racer, it's a mud bogger.

Quote:
P.S. You hurt my feelings by calling me an asshole. I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight
i wasn't trying to hurt your feelings. i was calling it like i see it. you were trying to be the typical pirate asshat and i called you on it.

Quote:
edit:

Naaa, not worth my time, not in here at least. Every time I come into the mud forum its like I just stumbled into the special ed class by mistake and I have to take a second look to make sure I'm actually at Pirate.
would you like to have this discussion elsewhere? cause i can school you in gen4x4 too.

now go back to the trailer park and brag to all your internet buddies about how bad ass you are for telling someone to stick their dick in a blender full of bleach.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 10736
Quote:
HAHA, what a smack
masonmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:11 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 90498
my18.4x16.1's are worn about half and the circumfrance( cant spell) is about the same as my 42's im runnin up frt . i got them mounted on custom 8 lug rims i got all 4 rims and the 2 rear tires for 100 bucks im lookin for another set for the front . i love em as far as hp im runnin about 275 horse 360 with 456 grz and they throw alot of mud been playin in a swamp up here and they work freakin great .

Last edited by kensdodge1; 08-04-2009 at 05:12 AM.
kensdodge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 20610
Send a message via AIM to gotmuddy Send a message via Yahoo to gotmuddy
Tractor tires need to spin slow so they dont dig too quick. Imo you can easily overspin them and get stuck faster

Prolietor may be talking about mud racing instead of bogginh. Huge difference
gotmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 AM   #43 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Well hell proeliator if you got 600 hp and you can barely get 44 boggers to work than I would say 80% of the people running 44 boggers cant make them work.
At LEAST 80% of the trucks out there on 44" Boggers can't make them work correctly. Probably more like 95%
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #44 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Quote:
Tractor tires need to spin slow so they dont dig too quick. Imo you can easily overspin them and get stuck faster
I've seen tractor tires on 1,000+ HP, 2,800lb tube-frame rails spinning them at insane speeds in deep mud. They worked just fine

Quote:

Nobody would choose Ag tires for shallow stuff unless the rules dictated it. DOT's are actually a better choice in that application.
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 15354
Quote:
he is...
Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 63730
While I claim to know ZERO about tractor tires, I have seen this truck make it thru 4-5 ft. of peanut butter consistency gumbo clay in our tank trap. Jim's BBF is in the 600HP/500trq range. Just sayin'. These pics are not the tank trap. Pro has experienced the trap & has seen firsthand what it takes. Many supposedly "Badass" trucks/drivers have been humbled by the tank trap. These tires are 60" I believe.
If you're not gettin' stuck.........you're not tryin' hard enough!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Big79'Terry; 08-04-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Big79'Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #47 (permalink)
On a pale horse

Member # 12042
Quote:
yadda yadday yadda.... except you don't have 60"+ tires, or even AG tires, yet you're the expert on them? lol. okkkk.

the FACT is that i have EXACTLY what you claim can't work and it works just fine and will go the same distance as anyone with HP and 60" tires will. it won't be the fastest, but it's not getting stuck very often either. it's not a mud racer, it's a mud bogger.
Reading comprehension > you.

I stated in this very thread I have experience with, and used ag tires. Or are you making a giant assumption because I don't list them on the rig in my sig? I have three wheelers and several sets of tires.

Quote:
would you like to have this discussion elsewhere? cause i can school you in gen4x4 too.
If you consider your feeble responses to me in this thread a "schooling" then you are as deluded as I think you are.

I have made a couple basic statements in this thread. I have never "claimed to be an expert" as you asserted

My simple assertions are as follows:

One, that 16.1 ag tires fit properly on a 16" rim.

Two, that the larger and more aggressive the tire is the more horsepower you need to make it work properly in deep mud.

inviate, I'm not sure if its because you have a huge truck with a puny motor and are trying to compensate by trying to make make this a "me vs. you" debate, or what the deal is. I gave some helpful advice, and you've gotten all butthurt about it. The people who don't have their heads as far up their ass as you, get it. Its pretty clear that your entire agenda is "Hey, I'm another one of those florida guys with a giant truck but I don't know how to build a motor...so that means nobody needs any power to run 60" ags". From your build link:

Quote:
my motor is 100% stock down to the air filter and muffler.

most of the bigger trucks are running a big block chevy or ford making 600+ hp.
If your so adamant that a stock motor in a five ton/62" ag tire application is all you need, why exactly is the above true? You flat out stated in your build thread that the reason your motor is stock is because you were on a budget. Now you are in here saying its because "its all you need". Riiigght:
Quote:
no. i'm budget. i can't afford motor.... so i'll just stick with my fuel injection and COLD a/c.
Now, since you don't get it, feel free to ramble on more about how you've schooled me since I won't be wasting anymore typing responding to you. Because, that would make two idiots in the conversation instead of just one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX View Post
At LEAST 80% of the trucks out there on 44" Boggers can't make them work correctly. Probably more like 95%
Well of course, you get it. Its kind of like the weird looks I get when I tell people I have a "mild" stroker. Its the truth, but it goes to show how important perspective is.

Last edited by Proeliator; 08-04-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: fixed silly sally's quotes
Old 08-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 15354
Quote:
Reading comprehension > you.

I stated in this very thread I have experience with, and used ag tires. Or are you making a giant assumption because I don't list them on the rig in my sig?
you mean like.... the assumption you made that i had a 2wd geo?

Quote:
I have three wheelers and several sets of tires.
are you really trying to say you have ag tires on your 3 wheeler, so you know anything about a 60" ag tire?

maybe i read that wrong though.... post pics of trucks you have/had with AG tires.

Quote:
Two, that the larger and more aggressive the tire is the more horsepower you need to make it work properly in deep mud.
and i simply stated that you are wrong.

here is just one instance where i have first hand experience at my non-motor out pulling big motor, big tire trucks. the last perry i went to in march, i won $1000 in the bounty hole by making it 94 feet. there were trucks on bigger tires with more motor than i have, the next closest made it 90 feet.

the same results play out every time i take my truck out. it doesn't put on a show, but it goes through the same holes at all the big HP trucks. infact, it out pulls my buddys truck on 57's with a 582 BBC every time.... but my truck has 62's, so that may be why.

Quote:
inviate, I'm not sure if its because you have a huge truck with a puny motor and are trying to compensate by trying to make make this a "me vs. you" debate, or what the deal is. I gave some helpful advice, and you've gotten all butthurt about it.
i'm not taking any of this personal or attempting to make this anything about me vs you. i said your advice was wrong, as i have first hand experience with the exact situation you claim doesn't work. it does.

Quote:
The people who don't have their heads as far up their ass as you, get it. Its pretty clear that your entire agenda is "Hey, I'm another one of those florida guys with a giant truck but I don't know how to build a motor...so that means nobody needs any power to run 60" ags".
my agenda is to tell you that i have exactly what you claim doesn't work... and it does. the fact of the matter is that AG tires DO NOT NEED RPM TO CLEAN OUT. nobody with 60" tires NEEDS horsepower. it just makes things more fun. i can build a motor just fine, i've built motors in the past. i can't afford a big motor at the moment, so i'll continue on with my stock fuel injected motor and working A/C.

Quote:
Now, since you don't get it, feel free to ramble on more about how you've schooled me since I won't be wasting anymore typing responding to you.
you won't be reponding because you have no argument.

Quote:
Well of course, you get it. Its kind of like the weird looks I get when I tell people I have a "mild" stroker. Its the truth, but it goes to show how important perspective is.
well, at least you know one thing....

Last edited by iniviate; 08-04-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 15354
Quote:
If your so adamant that a stock motor in a five ton/62" ag tire application is all you need, why exactly is the above true? You flat out stated in your build thread that the reason your motor is stock is because you were on a budget. Now you are in here saying its because "its all you need". Riiigght:
correct. you don't NEED motor. it's just more fun with motor.

how hard is that to understand? i swear, you're just about a dense mothfuckle.

Quote:
I won't be wasting anymore typing responding to you.
but you're just going to edit your last post instead? HAHAHAH.... wow...

moron.

Last edited by iniviate; 08-04-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 128238
Quote:

It has a tendency of being that way don't it.
LegendKiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote