Ground Hawgs Tires - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mud
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 130586
Ground Hawgs Tires

I have a set of TSL radials and i love them, But i have the opportunity to change them out for another tire, or keep them....Does anyone have any experience with Ground Hawg mud tires? I'd prob get the radial because i still drive on the road a lot, its my DD So i need a tire that is good for both. The TSL radial is great off road and great on the road, its not really loud at all for what it is. But i've never sean, or talked to anyone running ground hawgs....let me know

Thanks
Dave
dave160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 123475
Most people don't like groud hawgs, but if you spend a lot of time on the street it would be a great tire for you. They wear way better than most off road tires, and are better than an all terrain tire off road any day of the week.

A big tip is to check the true size of the tire on intercos website, they run very small.
creepyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bad Doctor

Member # 86878
Ground Hawgs are made be Denman.

The Ground Hawg IIs (radials) are not as aggressive tread pattern as the originals.
Good wear on the road but not as good IMO as TSL radials in the mud.
"Me too" short Crew build

/forum/chevy/994394-odins-me-too-short-crew-build.html

^^ Parting Out ^^
Odin K30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 119687
I have found that they have better road manners than a bias tsl or bogger, they aren't very loud at all, my irok radials are louder than the 44" boas ground hawgs I had. I will say the tsl pattern does better in the mud and rocks, but the hawgs take the cake in sand or sandy mud hands down. I will say the hawgs are horrible on slipper roads though.......my two cents
Old 08-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 130586
Well my problem is, that i had to replace the tsl radials twice because they started to split from the sidewall and the lugs...luckly i had only a few hundred miles on them so they replaced them for free and called them defects. Well how can i have all 4 in the first set be defects then after they replaced them i now have 1 that is doing the same thing and its even from a different DOT #.....Im just worried that if i replace them with another set of tsl's that they will do the same thing if not at first, maybe later in their life and then i wont get them replaced for free and be stuck with defects that i can't use.

I was thinking about going to an Open Country MT, but its just not as aggressive as i want and not quite as good in mud as i'd like....its a great tire don't get me wrong, but i think i wouldn't be happy with it off road.

So im trying to find something that is around the same as the tsl radial on-road and off road in performance .
Old 08-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Quit looking

Member # 138061
I love my hawgs. They arent bad on the road. They have a bit of wander to them. Are somewhat square feelin. They last forever. Pull great in mud especially some with sand mixed in it. They are directional and wont pull worth a shit in reverse
Old 08-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fab:30

Member # 112255
I don't think you will be as happy with Ground Hawgs as you were with Swampers (other than the cracking). Ground Hawgs are very heavy. As someone said, they are good for wear on the street because they have a harder compound but you sacrifice off road performance. They are OLD technology. If I got a cheap set, I would groove them for better performance. Just my $.02
xo_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fullsize wheeler

Member # 83301
ran both tsl's, boggers, and hawgs. The hawgs are a harder compound which might be good for road driving but sucks offroad. The swampers being softer do grip better on wet pavement etc but wear faster. Both are bias and if it's a dd they should not flat spot too much. I would buy bias ones, but thats me.
pennsylvaniaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 128238
I'd stick with the TSL. I dislike Hawgs.
LegendKiller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 41097
Send a message via MSN to mustange70
if you're going to be cutting tires, hawgs are a great tire to do it with, a lot of the rails in my area run cut hawgs on the front with good results.

Hardgrass Havoc It'll only be bigger, better, & tougher next year
mustange70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 130586
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendKiller89 View Post
I'd stick with the TSL. I dislike Hawgs.

Yeah

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...TSL_Radial.htm

going by that website the TSL radial is the best road and mud tire on there and from personal experience the tsl's arn't very loud and great off-road, the hawgs are about the same, according to that web site. The design is interesting also of the hawgs, its not like anything else, But if there not good on wet roads thats no good for me...do they just slip alot on wet roads? I was thinking about getting some Open Country's but i have bfg allterrains that i have on for everyday and the open countrys are GREAT tires, just not aggressive enough.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Quit looking

Member # 138061
With mine on wet roads, they dont slip, they just sorta wander a little bit. They almost feel like they try to hydroplane
Old 08-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 87318
Interco makes ground hawgs now, denman makes one size, a small one for a ditch witch. A old set of hawgs made by denman wore like iron the interco ones are made just like the swampers they wear the same now use to have 44 haws on my wrangler impressed alot of non believers when i would mud
Old 08-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 105131
Send a message via AIM to DRaider90
If you can live with running Bias Ply tires I would say its time to move up to the Bias Ply TSLs, or the LTBs. But if you need to have a radial for street manners etc, I would look at the SSRs or the TrXus M/Ts. The SSRs should be about the same performance wise as the TSL Radials, and the TrXus M/Ts maybe be a tiny step down but they should be close. Because you just can't really find the aggressiveness of Swamper tires in other brands usually.
DRaider90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 43190
I have run hawgs, swampers, boggers, buckshots, gumbo MONSTER mudders(lol). I have run from 36"s to 44"s.

I liked the hawgs. They will last a long time on the road. They cleaned out very well in mud. I have not advice to offer on any of these tires on rocks however. The hawgs measure alot shorter then there advertised hieght. My 40's measured in at 37" on a 12" wide wheel.

On a different note I would love to see a new spin to the groundhog. Three stage lug design, cupped lugs like a bogger and still be directional. And be as tall as a 54" bogger. But thats another story.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 130586
Anyone have experience with open country's in mud? I take mud kinda slow at times esp when its really thick(gay i know) But i use the light weight of my jeep to my full advantage and i think with the open country's they need to have more wheel spin to clean them out in deeper stuff which is kinda opposite of how i mud...thats why the tsl's were so good for me cause those big lugs wouldn't clog up with mud even at low low speeds.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Kind of a different spin on this, but I just took possession of a set of cut ground hawgs - the guy who cut them said they're 31's, but I think they'd be 11X15's or something like that (they're wrapped & I don't want to unwrap them 'cause they're not mine). Anyway, with the pro grooving job, they weigh 25lbs each
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 138463
My brother ran a set of 38" hawgs on his truck for quite awhile, they wore like iron on the road and kept up just fine in the mud. His were bias ply, but didnt handle too bad on the road. He had his studded for winter driving as well (crazy bastard) I think the hawgs are a decent trade off for a DD, they wear well, seem to be a pretty tough tire (I've seen some 25+ years old and still out in the mud bogs) and they do work well enough in the mud.

As for the toyo MTs, I have a set on my '90 F150, I think they work pretty good for a 'street' mud tire. I've had it down in some clay mud and just a little burp on the throttle and they were sending goo flyin, so it didnt take much to get them to clean out.
Hillbilly Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 130586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Rockstar View Post
My brother ran a set of 38" hawgs on his truck for quite awhile, they wore like iron on the road and kept up just fine in the mud. His were bias ply, but didnt handle too bad on the road. He had his studded for winter driving as well (crazy bastard) I think the hawgs are a decent trade off for a DD, they wear well, seem to be a pretty tough tire (I've seen some 25+ years old and still out in the mud bogs) and they do work well enough in the mud.

As for the toyo MTs, I have a set on my '90 F150, I think they work pretty good for a 'street' mud tire. I've had it down in some clay mud and just a little burp on the throttle and they were sending goo flyin, so it didnt take much to get them to clean out.

Thanks, good to hear the Open country's clean with just a lil throttle...thats also good to hear that the ground hawgs kept up well....im still in-between those two...
Old 08-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
On a pale horse

Member # 12042
Send a message via Yahoo to Proeliator
Hawgs were great in the 80's, now, not so much. However, you mentioned doing alot of street driving and they DO wear like iron....so thats a plus on their side.
'73 F250, 533 on N2o, 35spln chromo Superior/CTM D60/D70, twinsticked 205, hydro-assist, f&r lockers, 46" Titan R1s. Videos: bad ass ford - YouTube Bad Ass Ford2 - YouTube
Proeliator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
HIGHLY CONTROVERSIAL

Member # 66936
Send a message via AIM to MUD SLUT
Groundhawgs are boggers with a center tread. 2nd best dot tire out there for the mud, hands down. I liked them when I ran them, went boggers after that, but they are a very impressive tire. Most people think they can't hang, but they do.
BIG Inch BBC
PG
2-SCS's
4-Wheel Steering
14,000lbs

2008 GMC 3500HD CCLB SRW
6.6 LMM DURAMAX ALLISON
EFI LIVE
Pro Rock D60
MUD SLUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
TEX

Member # 603
Hawgs don't even match up to a TSL. Buddy of mine had a set of 40" Hawgs on his racer & never once placed top 6 in I don't know how many years with Missouri Mud Racing Association Super Stock class. Switched to 39.5 TSL's in 1990 & won the first time out and ran top 6 pretty much from then on - naturally, he went to Boggers in '93 when they came out
Extreme Performance
www.kmelectronics.com
Bear Creek Auto Recyclers
www.svrehorsepower.com
TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 117446
i ran a set of 40x17 hawgs and they were ok , cut them and they were better, but got rid of them for boggers and it was a world of difference. i would also consider mud grapplers , i didn't really like them untill i seen a set of 35 grapplers on a bronco go through the same hole a shortbed dodge on 38.5 boggers got burried in. they're also really hard compound so they probly wouldn't wear much on-road.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 130586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79redneck460 View Post
i ran a set of 40x17 hawgs and they were ok , cut them and they were better, but got rid of them for boggers and it was a world of difference. i would also consider mud grapplers , i didn't really like them untill i seen a set of 35 grapplers on a bronco go through the same hole a shortbed dodge on 38.5 boggers got burried in. they're also really hard compound so they probly wouldn't wear much on-road.

Yeah a buddie of mine has grapplers and they are good...not as good as the tsl's IMO, BUT they are very good on the street and in mud, but there loud as hell. My tsl radials really arnt loud at all for a mud tire esp. a swamper
Old 08-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 130586
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD SLUT View Post
Groundhawgs are boggers with a center tread. 2nd best dot tire out there for the mud, hands down. I liked them when I ran them, went boggers after that, but they are a very impressive tire. Most people think they can't hang, but they do.

Yeah i can now kinda see that in the tread..are the bias strong and good on the street also? Or just the radial for the ground hawgs