Way cool Titan 47" Ag tires - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mud
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 122354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Phipps View Post
He was a blacksmith. Perfected the moldboard plow.
Oliver made it even better. He was a blacksmith too.
Cyrus Hall McCormic (Predecessor to McCormic tractors, then Farmall, then IH, then Case/IH) perfected the grain reaper. He was a blacksmith.
J.I.Case had his own design of a steam traction engine. He was a blacksmith.
Everyone wants to be a friggin engineer, but the best inventions still in use today were thought up by Blacksmiths!!
aint the the truth!!
powerwagon75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 63730
Only on Pirate can we go from: Hey...check out these cool tires to.......radial vs. bias farm implement performance to.......tractor engineering by blacksmiths.....to "gay bashing" by a highly educated [asshat]......to "Only on Pirate" in the MUD section. Some times the truth can truly be stranger than fiction. In a couple of weeks we'll find out how well they perform.

Last edited by Big79'Terry; 02-15-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Big79'Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 80230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proeliator View Post
Just remember, since you're riding shotgun for mudfest if I really was an asshole all the time I'd roost you with the ags while you were hooking up the snatch strap (probably to a jeep). Just sayin Terry was able to score a ticket for Angie (thanks Terry!) since she refuses to ride in SuperBeast anymore it looks like you are stuck
Perfect. I'm down like the syndrome. I'm not sure I can get the crew together by then since Summit effed my order. Back-ordered the cam till 3/8, but I'm checking Jegs. They can ship in 4 days, but I don't know if I can get it in , broke in and swap springs again by then.

Quote:
Don't forget the "gay bashing"
LOL

Quote:
Not you!
fordraceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 40162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywagoneersdotcom View Post
Tire Town usa in Leavenworth Kansas has stuff.
Be warned though- while there website shows a lot of good stuff, the last couple of times I have inquired about ags, they didnot have what I was wanting.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 117744
Pro,

I see you are planning on running the Ag's all the way around, and not just on the rear. Do you know anyone running 1 tons with these (18.4x16.1's) all the way around? I have read about the rigs on Alaska4x4network, but I am not sure they are quite so "throttle happy" as you!

It seems that most people run them only on the rear for mud trucks utilizing 1 tons. I have talked to a couple guys from Florida about it, and they claim that the main hinderence on the D60 front is the knuckles, king pins/balljoints, and bearings/spindles.

Either way, good luck! Problem is, if shit breaks, you won't know what caused it, the nasty new motor or the nasty new meats, haha!

Last edited by EarthResin; 02-16-2010 at 08:57 PM.
EarthResin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 65100
Send a message via Yahoo to rustywagoneersdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldstallyn73 View Post
Be warned though- while there website shows a lot of good stuff, the last couple of times I have inquired about ags, they didnot have what I was wanting.
Thanks for the heads up. If I go the V-tread route it will likely be the 38's as shown on the toyota a page or two back...
Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 80230
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthResin View Post
Either way, good luck! Problem is, if shit breaks, you won't know what caused it, the nasty new motor or the nasty new meats, haha!
I'm going to bet on either the asshat driving, or the one riding shotgun saying "You want me to call Angie and have her drive for you?"
fordraceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #83 (permalink)
On a pale horse

Member # 12042
Send a message via Yahoo to Proeliator
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthResin View Post
Pro,

I see you are planning on running the Ag's all the way around, and not just on the rear. Do you know anyone running 1 tons with these (18.4x16.1's) all the way around? I have read about the rigs on Alaska4x4network, but I am not sure they are quite so "throttle happy" as you!

It seems that most people run them only on the rear for mud trucks utilizing 1 tons. I have talked to a couple guys from Florida about it, and they claim that the main hinderence on the D60 front is the knuckles, king pins/balljoints, and bearings/spindles.

Well, I know a bunch of the guys in Alaska run them on all four. Still, I "plan" to adjust my driving style a little...no more clutch dumps at 5k and be aware of how much I'm leaning on it when the tires are turned. The axles and u-joints have a life time warranty; if a knuckle breaks I'll just throw in a Crane or equivalent. Ultimately, I'm just waiting for a sweet deal on a pair of steering rockwells to fall into my lap. Then I'll upgrade the axles and go to rear steer at the same time.

At this point I'm more concerned about my intermediate shaft. I have it absolutely in phase and have never had any problems with it, but those ags and new motor will put a hell of a stress on everything.
'73 F250, 533 on N2o, 35spln chromo Superior/CTM D60/D70, twinsticked 205, hydro-assist, f&r lockers, 46" Titan R1s.
Proeliator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 46318
When I still had my highboy, I twisted two intermediate shafts before I ever broke anything in the dana 60, but the front was open at that point. High RPM clutch drops both times...I then built my own d-shaft out of 1/4 wall tubing and never had a problem after that.
AllGoNoShow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 47448
Quote:
Considering that unimogs are often driven on V-treads, I would really like to figure out how suitable certain brands and manufacturers are for something approximating occasional road use. Although, I would never recommend that anybody would DO such a thing, since, after all, these are not usually DOT approved tires, and we all know that THEY know what's best for us.

But in case a hurricane was bearing down on Eastern Nebraska, and I was in the middle of an oil change on my daily driver, and I was ONLY able to jump start my wheeler and pack up my family and all the orphans next door - it would be nice to know if the tire carcass was going to heat up and cause any construction issues.

Mogs usually get some P-metric thingies. 385 85 R 20's or 425 80 R 20's or stuff like that.

Tire Town usa in Leavenworth Kansas has stuff.
They have high speed DOT tractor tires, the first ones that come to mind are Michelin XM47's and IIRC XM27's. Conti and some others offer a DOT radial tractor tire, but they are not cheap unless you can find someone who has some blem's. I'm no tractor expert, but I do know of a few guys who had there tow-rigs break down and had to resort to unload there rigs and drive somewhere to get stuff to fix it. Even heard of guys running 14.9R24 R1's on the highway due to an emergency, claiming they road better than 44 boggers. I have drove/rode my fair share of dump trucks, rigs, etc on tractor tires at high speeds due to transport and they didn't feel uncomfortable at all to be honest. From what I was told, the hassle and cost of DOT approving any tire outweigh's the benefit if the rigs are MAINLY off-highway, but that doesn't mean they are not capable of it. I would love to find some blem'd high speed DOT tractor tires, CC burgess had some 52 mich's for $200/ea but they sold out of them.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 47448
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslimfu View Post
I see the lime spreader buggies running 66x44rears and 48'' goodyear fronts down the hwy @ 70 mph all the time.
I've seen the 48's on the highway, but damn the 66's...could you count the lugs as it rode by? Even at 70 they wouldn't be rolling that fast at all..
Old 02-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #87 (permalink)
Bald Eagle Fucker

Member # 101407
Quote:
Originally Posted by studlybilly View Post
I've seen the 48's on the highway, but damn the 66's...could you count the lugs as it rode by? Even at 70 they wouldn't be rolling that fast at all..

At work we build Terragators. Have you ever seen one of them bouncin down the road? Granted they are heavy as fuck, but damn, No way i would ever drive them on the road on a pickup.
Attached Images

Elvis38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 43251
I bought my Apple aka American Farmers from a local Farm tire dealer in Victoria Texas, they were about $400 each with $45 tubes, I ordered Marsh Raching wheels in 16 x16 with the centers unmounted so I could figure out backspacing on my truck. I had to drill my own intertube valve holes as they come undrilled, I used a 5/8 drill and chambered the hole so it would not cut a intertube or valvestem. The tires do grow like crazy when aired up, the 16 inch wide 16 inch wheel is easy to dismount and mount with the 16 wide width, the intertubes act like beadlocks and i have them with 25 psi. The tire V-tread design allows one to just float over most of the mud down here without having to rev up the motor to clean them out like the wannabee bogges r/tsl/nitro/buckshotss etc etc and really any street type mud tire, you dont need the big motor or lockers to run these, they are so much better than what most have experienced in mud tires its not funny, some day some of the tire makers will figure out there is a small niche for v tread DOT tires in a reasonable price, the XM- v treads are DOT and rated at 55mph and come on Unimogs, problem is they are only avail in 20 inch wheel widths. I paid $200 a wheel with centers from Marsh, I had to add hyda steering and 12 inch Alcan springs to get them to clear, am still building the truck. Tire size is 18.4x16.1x16 8 plys. Wish they were available in a shorter size as only way to run them is 2 cut or lift bunches. Mud life mag has a tire store in Florida@ sets of American Farmers with wheels for $2200 for 4, great deal, but the wheel is not wide enuff for me, I think peeps r runing them tubless with 2 narrow a wheel to fully experience the performance they offer.
dillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 43251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big79'Terry View Post
Way cool Titan Ag's for Pro's SuperBeat. Next to a 44' Bogger.
What wheel will you run with them and width, tube or tubless and how much, very nice tire for sure, bet you wont ever run anything else after getting them in the mud!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 146548
Talking

Dillo is right you dont need a big motor to run these tires, they float good even with my heavy ass truck. I have a stock 5.4L running these on my SD. Only upgrades to the stock 1 ton drivetrain is 5:38 gears, lockers F/R, Solid Axle hub conversion with drive flanges and 35 spline Chromo outer shafts on D60. Stock tie rod and drag link with drop pitman arm and Redneck Ram Hydro Assist.
I have been in plenty of holes with this thing and have not broke anything yet (knock on wood), except for a too short front driveline slip yoke, that is fixed now though.
I have a RE 6.5" lift on the truck and did about 3" of trimming and put the flares on it. It works good, and up here in AK from what I have seen I am glad I picked an AG over a bogger or any other tire.
BTW I have had this bitch up to about 55 MPH running down a road, she bounces a little but handles really good. Parts for these trucks are really comon up here, I have a complete set of spare front and rear axle shafts and steering assembly, that I got for free after the deal worked out.

I plan to upgrade to Rockwells in the future and a 53" version of this same tire, but until I get a shop that is not happening because she fits in the garge right now by 1.5"

I think you will like the rubber

Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #91 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 83634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordcummins View Post
Dillo is right you dont need a big motor to run these tires, they float good even with my heavy ass truck. I have a stock 5.4L running these on my SD. Only upgrades to the stock 1 ton drivetrain is 5:38 gears, lockers F/R, Solid Axle hub conversion with drive flanges and 35 spline Chromo outer shafts on D60. Stock tie rod and drag link with drop pitman arm and Redneck Ram Hydro Assist.
I have been in plenty of holes with this thing and have not broke anything yet (knock on wood), except for a too short front driveline slip yoke, that is fixed now though.
I have a RE 6.5" lift on the truck and did about 3" of trimming and put the flares on it. It works good, and up here in AK from what I have seen I am glad I picked an AG over a bogger or any other tire.
BTW I have had this bitch up to about 55 MPH running down a road, she bounces a little but handles really good. Parts for these trucks are really comon up here, I have a complete set of spare front and rear axle shafts and steering assembly, that I got for free after the deal worked out.

I plan to upgrade to Rockwells in the future and a 53" version of this same tire, but until I get a shop that is not happening because she fits in the garge right now by 1.5"

I think you will like the rubber

i sold my 44 boggers and upgraded to a set of 18.4x16.1 firestones, got the idea from the ak rigs since there terrain seems to be alot like home here in the alberta mountains, and v treads are just bad ass
81 malibu 454 gutted street machine
84 western star 4964 8V92 detroit diesel 13 speed
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 65100
Send a message via Yahoo to rustywagoneersdotcom
I don't necessarily want to find actual DOT v-treads. I just want to have some idea if certain brands have any heat/construction issues if they just happened to get used on pavemnt at higher speeds in an 'emergency' situation.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:31 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 108046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis38 View Post
At work we build Terragators. Have you ever seen one of them bouncin down the road? Granted they are heavy as fuck, but damn, No way i would ever drive them on the road on a pickup.
I used to run one at my old job, the radials were much better than the old bias plys, especially in the morning. My machine had the bias plys on them and it would catch air in the front in the morning on a perfectly flat road.
bsfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 47448
Quote:
I don't necessarily want to find actual DOT v-treads. I just want to have some idea if certain brands have any heat/construction issues if they just happened to get used on pavemnt at higher speeds in an 'emergency' situation.
I can tell you from personally riding in tractor tire rigs on the road, yes they will do just fine. I don't even think a 49" tractor tire is gonna roll fast enough at any time to dangerously heat up on a light ass wheeling rig, but that's just me spitballing. Its the same concept with the military mich's, sure they are rated at 55mph...but that's AT there max load capacity. You wont even come close on your run of the mill reo rig. In the meantime, lets find some DOT tractors anyways.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 47448
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsfarmer View Post
I used to run one at my old job, the radials were much better than the old bias plys, especially in the morning. My machine had the bias plys on them and it would catch air in the front in the morning on a perfectly flat road.
I'm just curious, but how does the legality of running a non-DOT tire apply?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 47448
Quote:
I have drove some high speed tractors and the only experience I have with bouncing, is due to the fact that they had no suspension. So when I hit a bump the tires would go egg-shaped and I would have to slow down. The radials seem to round themselves off again though while cruising. The couple tractor tire trucks I have rode in down the road seem to ride the f*ck out...I just wonder what kind of ticket you get wrote if your caught on a non-DOT tire, or if there's a way to register the truck differently? Like Farm equipment?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #97 (permalink)
Bald Eagle Fucker

Member # 101407
Quote:
I'm just curious, but how does the legality of running a non-DOT tire apply?
Vehicle of Husbandry. (?) Basically any Implement type vehicle. Although iowa doesn't like them on the highway, but not because of D.O.T tire. Their beef was weight per axle.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #98 (permalink)
Bald Eagle Fucker

Member # 101407
Quote:
I have drove some high speed tractors and the only experience I have with bouncing, is due to the fact that they had no suspension. So when I hit a bump the tires would go egg-shaped and I would have to slow down. The radials seem to round themselves off again though while cruising. The couple tractor tire trucks I have rode in down the road seem to ride the f*ck out...I just wonder what kind of ticket you get wrote if your caught on a non-DOT tire, or if there's a way to register the truck differently? Like Farm equipment?

I'm gonna say no. Atleast in Minn. Friend of mine owns a Tile buisness. He stripped an old Suburban. Put an old tractor cab and a couple reels of tile on the back. The Trooper wasn't too impressed to see that abortion flyin down the road at 65. He tried to register it differently, but was a no go.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 108046
Quote:
Vehicle of Husbandry. (?) Basically any Implement type vehicle. Although iowa doesn't like them on the highway, but not because of D.O.T tire. Their beef was weight per axle.
The only way a pickup will count as a implement is if you turn it into a spray truck or something like that to clearly alter the truck into a farm vehicle. I've seen some guys put some skinny ag tires on spray trucks and run them around, but thats with a 60-ft boom and 500 gallon tank in the back end too.

On the other hand, I've thought about getting an old Sammy or Sidekick and throw skid loader tires on it for a little run-around scouting vehicle, but its a little too big to throw a SMV sign on it and call it a ATV.
bsfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 43251
I have a W500 powerwagon and its 2 tons or so. It has a flatbed on it and i have had the same thought about Floation tires on it to drive on the hiway legally. We have a feed store coop down here and they have newer 2 ton trucks with those giant 45x20x20 tires on it and some have those 22.5 newer style floats on them as well, I dont see how if one stuck them on a reg and inspected truck and said you were going to your farm or ranch or really even drove it to a 4x4 meet or park they could legally stop you. I just see them with farm plates on them and I think those float tires are dot rated, but i am not sure??? Does anybody know about those giant floats if they are dot?

We have oil and gas exploration down here a lot on the coast of texas and in wetlands, sometimes the crew trucks come from LA with giant floats on them with like extreme low presure tires and no imprint type tires, but the truck is usually a 2 ton 4x4 with a flatbed so they can work during wet condition while laying sesmic cable, anybody in La ever see these rigs or around Houston Texas?? Seems to me there is some kind of a oil and gas conversion place around Houston that removes the factory fenders and builds the flatbeds so they can place those huge floats on them, it would be intersting to see what that place has in its junk pile or just to drive by and see what is offered, seems to me there had a website with huge terra tires piled up off of Hiway 6 somewhere, i lost the link but will go google terra tires and see if i can find it, maybe somebody else know about special terra floats and where they come from. The powerline company in Victoria buys about 5 sets on these a year when it used to rain according to my tire guy up the road, they run the smaler from terra float up front and the giant rear setup. Anybody work for a place like this or know of it?? I think Underworths in iowa builds the wheels for some of the terra floats for these type rigs??