Custom Build Transfer Case - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Mud
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 152491
Custom Transfer Case New Parts Pics 1/15/12

Well here is my new custom built transfer case still under construction. Its bsaed from an old np203 but highly modified and a whole lot lighter and shorter in length. The high range is 1.75:1 and low is 3.50:1 once the low box is shifted in. Its a full time case and an oil bath design and my first prototype. Im also working on another design with an aliminum chain box that is avaible in any drop length and clockble to any side for better drive shaft line up.

Last edited by KansasKrawler; 01-15-2012 at 07:21 PM.
KansasKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 152491
Wow all these views and no opinions thats not normal for this bunch
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasKrawler View Post
Wow all these views and no opinions thats not normal for this bunch
How long is the masking tape plate good for? And post some tech man...what did you do etc.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hard Corps

Member # 116370
Interesting...need some internal info and original cases used to concoct this! A full time case doesn't give you the same drive options as a part time would??

What's it fit, splines, input, output yokes? Length? Weight? etc etc....

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Ooh Rah!
USMC 2003-2009

Last edited by swirvin21; 06-06-2011 at 02:47 PM.
swirvin21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 152491
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirvin21 View Post
Interesting...need some internal info and original cases used to concoct this! A full time case doesn't give you the same drive options as a part time would??

What's it fit, splines, input, output yokes? Length? Weight? etc etc....
Well the orig case was a np203 that mated to a th350 out of a mid 70's chevy that i had guted down and kept the low box with output shaft and chain box housing. I wanted to run a wet bath case with easy to obtain parts so im using the stock front output shaft bearing, bearing retainer and seal at all points to support the shafts. The upper shaft support cover plate is still getting machined out to accept the bearing and is simmilar to the new rear low plate seen in the pic without the yoke. The yokes seen in the pics are stock chevy drive yokes to match my drive shafts already in my crawler. The enternals in the chain box are going to be industrial grade double roller 60 chain and sprockets. With the stock output shaft from the low box getting machined to accept the new sprocket and the lower shaft will be made from 4140 chrommly 1-1/2 od machined to fit. The gearing selection was as big as i could go to still fit in the stock chain box giving a high range of 1.75-1 and a low range of 3.50-1 when the low box is shifted in.
As far as weight and length goes iv not yet got that far but its clearly shorter and lighter in weight and once i build an aluminum chain box that will cut more weight from my next design and beable to be made with any length of drop and beable to be clocked any position. Also im gonna build that new box to fit any size gearing ratio to obtain a much lower ratio, i orig was shooting for a 5.00-1 low range but the sprockets wouldnt fit in the stock box.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 110795
Way to think out of the box! I'll be watching. On the chains will there be a tensioner to take up chain stretch?
Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 152491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_bigbadxj View Post
Way to think out of the box! I'll be watching. On the chains will there be a tensioner to take up chain stretch?
Thanks for the comment and yes there will be a fully adjustble tensioner to keep the chain tight
Old 06-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 27762
nice job, very creative thinking, just gave me some new ideas also for all those 203's laying around that i thought were good for nothing.
millerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 123202
Like the build but a double 60 chain is going to be marginal considering it is behind a 2 to 1 gear reduction.
mudevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 92681
double 60 chain is what almost every 2500hp mud racer uses. I think he'll be ok there
Babymoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 123202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babymoot View Post
double 60 chain is what almost every 2500hp mud racer uses. I think he'll be ok there
The chain has to drive both front and rear outputs. Mud racers like you are talking about only drive the front, usually to a little Dana 30 or 44. The 2 to 1 also doubles the input torque to the chain drive.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 152491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babymoot View Post
First off thanks Moot and yes if you call power pro mud racing they sell a drop chain drive system made to any length and it does power both front and rear in alot off aplications running high horse power and even plantari axles same as alot of the monster truck drop chain boxes.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 77635
Well the main question is how much? I will volenteer my wrecking ball to the tests.
Dodgeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 123202
Quote:
First off thanks Moot and yes if you call power pro mud racing they sell a drop chain drive system made to any length and it does power both front and rear in alot off aplications running high horse power and even plantari axles same as alot of the monster truck drop chain boxes.

I am very familiar with Power Pro's chain drive, and do know you can use them to power both outputs. Most guy's up here have gone away from double 60's and have gone to 80H or double 80 chain because of chain failure. I Speak from experience as I have ran a reduction box in front a double 60 chain drive. If you are running 500 ft lbs of torque and a 2 to 1 gear reduction in front of the chain drive it is puting the same load on the chain as a motor making a 1000 ft lbs and no gear reduction in front of the chain drive. Trucks that have alot of gearing in the axles can get by with a lighter chain. I am not knocking your shit, I am just trying to provide you with some tech that I have alot of experience with.

Like I said I like the build, I just want to see you make it bullet proof.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 92681
thats a good point about the reduction before the chain drive but i still think he'll be ok, i'm sure hes not nowhere near 1000hp. I run a triple 60 chaindrive dropbox with tractor tires and 800hp bbc, ive seen this combo last for 15+ years without changing the chain.
Babymoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 152491
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudevil View Post
I am very familiar with Power Pro's chain drive, and do know you can use them to power both outputs. Most guy's up here have gone away from double 60's and have gone to 80H or double 80 chain because of chain failure. I Speak from experience as I have ran a reduction box in front a double 60 chain drive. If you are running 500 ft lbs of torque and a 2 to 1 gear reduction in front of the chain drive it is puting the same load on the chain as a motor making a 1000 ft lbs and no gear reduction in front of the chain drive. Trucks that have alot of gearing in the axles can get by with a lighter chain. I am not knocking your shit, I am just trying to provide you with some tech that I have alot of experience with.

Like I said I like the build, I just want to see you make it bullet proof.
Mudevil - I really appricate all your input and i uderstand all your saying but just as the chain drive units from powerpro they are turning some very high horsepower trucks with that design and in an open chain design. To were my design is in a closed sealed box in an oil bath system and its going behind a 383 sbc pushing 600 hp and high torque numbers and this is in a custom crawler with 2.5 ton rockwells and 46" R4 loader tires which are lighter then a 44 swamper so gearing is on my side. And i would honestly love to run a triple 80 chain set up or atleast a double 80 but do to the case size im limited on the size i can run to obtain the gearing i wanted so thats why i went with double 60 and the price i gave for both sprockets was under 20$$ so i wasnt complaining.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 152491
Well i gotta say what a fathers day present i got my splined shaft in for my t case build now i gotta get my hubs to match then its go time

Old 01-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 152491
Here is some more updated pics the t case its getting closer and the upper cover plate is now done and complete with internal bearing supporting the upper shaft. Also the yokes are complete now with matching female splined colors to match the splined shaft.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 152491
Hmmmm???? No comments im surprised there are critics everywere
Old 01-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
Hmmmm???? No comments im surprised there are critics everywere
It was a Sunday night, and this is an early morning of a day many people aren't at work... give it some time, grasshopper
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 205335
That look's great keep it up.

I've got a question, can the gears be changed in a borg warner 13.45 to give it a lower low range? Does anyone make such a thing?
47ltb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 152491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47ltb View Post
That look's great keep it up.

I've got a question, can the gears be changed in a borg warner 13.45 to give it a lower low range? Does anyone make such a thing?
I am looking at building another one with custom aluminum chain box of any length and clocked any position and then i could build it with any gear ratio cuz i would build the box to fit around it. For now i had to go with what gears i could fit in the stock chain box. So i could get a proto type built and beat on it some
Old 01-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 208656
you going to start selling these or is this just for yourself?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 152491
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwallmuth View Post
you going to start selling these or is this just for yourself?
After i get this one done and abuse it some im looking in to selling them if anyone might be interested
Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 202429
You had me at 3.5:1 in the range box. I just started gathering parts for my 203/205 doubler and this would be perfect if the gears can stand up to the abuse. Keep us posted. I'll be following.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.